• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Bay attacked on 'Transformers 4' set in Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, A co-worker told me about this today. They're actually shooting across from where I work today. Went over during lunch and saw him working on the set. He seems to be doing just fine. His face seems tired but normal. Watched him did a take with a stunt dummy before we went back to work.

Totally respect him as a director and enjoyed most of his work.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
International pressure is a powerful thing. They may very well move the production as well, and that would be a great loss for the city on an economical standpoint.
That is, of course, if the people in charge are not total tools, which i suspect they are.

...I should probably document myself on hong-kong's political regime later.

it's not being total tools, but gangs in Asia.. especially China and Japan are entrenched in the culture and even the politics..

haikira

RDufQY9.jpg

The level of passive racism in the second Transformers and also The Phantom Menace is really quite shocking. I didn't notice it in Phantom Menace when I first saw it, as I was a kid. But now in retrospect, it's baffling. I sure as hell noticed it when I saw Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I'm surprised I watched the whole thing. Though in my defence, I was in bed sick.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Can just imagine the face on other more discerning triads reading this news.

"Oh, well this was a good racket we had going here. Now some fresh pups have gone and attacked one of the most famous people in the entire world. Excellent."

LakeEarth

"Oh, well this was a good racket we had going here. Now some fresh pups have gone and attacked one of the most famous people in the entire world. Excellent."

Seriously. These two guys probably cost the triad millions in future earnings.

I doubt it will be a good day for the two who did this but the higher ups should not even feel the heat from this.

numble

International pressure is a powerful thing. They may very well move the production as well, and that would be a great loss for the city on an economical standpoint.
That is, of course, if the people in charge are not total tools, which i suspect they are.

...I should probably document myself on hong-kong's political regime later.
Transformers 4 is a Chinese co-production to qualify for special box office privileges in China. They held a reality TV show to cast Chinese extras and there will be some Chinese cast members. They aren't going to move production.

dan2026

I also read the title as 'Michael Bay attacked by Transformers'.

I thought maybe the real Transformers had come down from space just to step on the talentless hack.

Transformers 3 was the biggest piece of shit.

How can you possible beat a finishing scene that ends with.

Burning American flag.

Slow mo bridge walk.

Lens flare hot chick.

Slow mo parents running.

Slow mo robot walk.

Sunset.

I nearly vomited at the end of that film it was so bad.

How did they get approved for a 4th.

money

coldfoot

Banned
HK loses with this shit, if I was Bay, I'd make sure I'd depict HK as a horrible place to the entire world in my movie.

TheWraith

Transformers 4 is a Chinese co-production to qualify for special box office privileges in China. They held a reality TV show to cast Chinese extras and there will be some Chinese cast members. They aren't going to move production.

Well Hong Kong is not part of that deal, that finance deal is for Mainland China and its box office, which HK is not a part of. In practice HK is entirely seperate from China in this and many regards. The government are tools of Beijing though.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Not going to take Bay's word on this. Story sounds kind of suspicious, like there's more than meets the eye

numble

Well Hong Kong is not part of that deal, that finance deal is for Mainland China and its box office, which HK is not a part of. In practice HK is entirely seperate from China in this and many regards. The government are tools of Beijing though.
Shooting in HK fulfills the requirement that there is a production/shooting element in China.

Busty

Banned
The BBC are reporting that Michael Bay took a swing at the men first...., but his punch took thirty seconds to connect as it traveled in slo-mo.

It just hovered in mid air as the early morning light of the Sun danced around his fist.

numble

Then that agreement must have mentioned stuff like "China and Hong Kong" or similar wording.
http://hong-kong-economy-research.h...-in-Hong-Kong/hkip/en/1/1X000000/1X0018PN.htm

Hong Kong's audio-visual industry has preferential access to the huge Chinese mainland media entertainment market under CEPA, with quota free access to the Chinese mainland of Hong Kong-produced Chinese language films. Hong Kong-mainland co-produced films and television programmes are treated as mainland productions after receiving approval from mainland authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom