• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight |OT| Let's Fly Away

Peru

The graphics at maximum settings in this game are nothing short of disgusting. Ace Combat 5 (what 6 years old now?), Blazing Angels and IL-2 all looked better on inferior hardware.

Normally you can't compare MS Flight Sim to that kind of stuff, since the whole world is rendered.. but this being only Hawaii, you're right.

Normally you can't compare MS Flight Sim to that kind of stuff, since the whole world is rendered.. but this being only Hawaii, you're right.

I didnt think you could make Hawaii ugly. They did it by god raise your glasses. Brown. Brown-green. 1950s Nuke test housing. Water that looks like jelly. Good thing when I nose dive my plane into a mountain my flight glasses stay right in place right?

I said this earlier on another forum but I wish MS would let Turn 10 hire some programmers and they would get into flying games...at least graphically.

<---was in beta.

Robin64

Is anyone having a problem where their plane seems to just keep pulling up? I have to keep adjusting, it won't just fly level.
Pretty sure it's not the controller as I use it for other games with no problem.

I didnt think you could make Hawaii ugly. They did it by god raise your glasses. Brown. Brown-green. 1950s Nuke test housing. Water that looks like jelly. Good thing when I nose dive my plane into a mountain my flight glasses stay right in place right?

I said this earlier on another forum but I wish MS would let Turn 10 hire some programmers and they would get into flying games...at least graphically.

<---was in beta.

So what's up with the graphics? Videos looked pretty good (and not brown-green xD).

inky

Is anyone having a problem where their plane seems to just keep pulling up? I have to keep adjusting, it won't just fly level.
Pretty sure it's not the controller as I use it for other games with no problem.

With the 360 controller? Try pushing the D-Pad up/down as that controls the trim, so it's probably that pushing the nose up. Check the plane around in cockpit view to see the trim indicator. In the Icon it's located on the top of the stick, in the Stearman it is a handle in the left side of the plane and so on.

demolitio

Wow, the only thing I was interested in so far was the P-51 and it doesn't even have a cockpit view for a fucking supposed sim? That's absurd and that's not even factoring in its ridiculous price. I don't think they'll have much success with this game given the low content and nickel and dime plans considering the graphics aren't great enough to convince people to put down their copies of FSX or previous games with 1000000x more content just to play this one due to the supposed detail of Hawaii.

The more I play and think about it, the angrier I get as a huge sim fan. MS supposedly wants to take PC gaming seriously again yet ruin any chances of them winning gamers over, so then they'll blame the low sales or player counts and say PC gaming isn't worth their time or money.

It's like a cycle...lol

Edit: Well, my fears were realized when someone told me his studio was shut down a few years ago while they were working on FS11 that was a FULL game with everything we wanted from Flight, but then they got a bunch of new guys to essentially make a new GAME instead of SIM with a nickel and dime scheme instead. More respect has been lost this day and he's really pissed off about it since he was a FS fan before he worked on it. If X-Plane would actually advance in graphics and tech, I could settle for that but nothing is changing really.

lefantome

the game has some interesting idea but there is no market for it, especially as a stupid free to play where you can't even flight in the whole away witohout paying it.

Actually it looks like the demo o Test Drive Unlimited, but with less content and planes instead of cars.

They could have done a new flight simulator with social features and missions and modes for casuals.

They could sell official dLCs(like new planes, more detailed cities or airports) from their internal stores.

They could sell it at a lower price after months or year on DD platforms, building a bigger community.

A FS simulator can lasts even 4 years, actually FSX has 5.

This is a fail, I expect a FSXI in 1-2 years

I tried putting a full night into the game but I was just not having much fun. I'll pick this back up in a few months when they price it at $10 for Hawaii and future maps, and a few dollars for each plane.

Shit game they should have stuck to their late April date. MS (Gas Powered Games)talks about lessons leanred in an MMO setting and then they pull all the same garbage stunts in this game. MS development studios dont communicate with each other at all and its really frustrating.

mr stroke

Downloaded this and played for a couple hours and not impressed. Graphics are horrible and it doesn't feel "sim" at all.

MS make a new Flight Sim that costs full retail with Dx11, and looks amazing please.

epmode

From the new Rock Paper Shotgun article, this game has the best loading screen tip ever:

fs29zz-600x157.jpg

CzarTim

I'm an old school flight sim fan, and this game is... interesting to say the least. The fact that you can't radio towers for permission to land/take-off, the lack luster plane selection (5 if you buy everything when X had 20+??? Not to mention most of the planes aren't very interesting), no AI planes, and the inability to make waypoints on your GPS (save for missions) is a big turn-off to me.

On the other hand, I'm glad they are making the game more user friendly and approachable. A FTP model seems like it will suit this type of niche product well. Kind of like Rise of Flight. I just wish there was more depth for those who want it.

inky

Next DLC Sneak Peak (get it =( ) Alaska. No ETA.

We're excited to announce some upcoming DLC: journey with us to Alaska, with over 1.5 million square kilometers (~600,000 square miles) of captivating scenery, new aircraft and additional missions!

64020_310009985727656_100257846702872_819780_1789981244_n.jpg

428095_310009662394355_100257846702872_819778_389634391_n.jpg

423985_310009309061057_100257846702872_819773_1488813188_n.jpg

426163_310009785727676_100257846702872_819779_1416602089_n.jpg

426275_310009509061037_100257846702872_819775_408164022_n.jpg

For what I have tried out it's ok, when I think of flying sims I think of huge carriers with a billion switches, not this flying kia looking car plane thing.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Alaska? That's more like it.

It is, but I feel that it's still not enough. I do most of my flying in the Alaska area in FSX, it's a fantastic region for bush flying. But....

I'm an old school flight sim fan, and this game is... interesting to say the least. The fact that you can't radio towers for permission to land/take-off, the lack luster plane selection (5 if you buy everything when X had 20+??? Not to mention most of the planes aren't very interesting), no AI planes, and the inability to make waypoints on your GPS (save for missions) is a big turn-off to me.

On the other hand, I'm glad they are making the game more user friendly and approachable. A FTP model seems like it will suit this type of niche product well. Kind of like Rise of Flight. I just wish there was more depth for those who want it.

Alaska? That's more like it.

...Tim's post is why I feel that not even Alaska can make Flight worth it. There's just too much lacking.

Flight may be pretty to look at and fool around in for a few minutes, but it has no depth to it. No life. It's a graphic demo flight sim. Sure it looks better than FSX but not very much. In fact it almost looks like the same engine but tweaked a bit. If definitely runs better than FSX does but I have to wonder if it's only running smoother due to all the stuff they took OUT of the game. AI traffic. Radio chatter both on the ground and in the air. Navigation VOR's and ADB's. Real world and real time weather. Realistic fight model mechanics. Little to no GPS control or modeling.

This is an entirely new piece of software focused on a totally different market than Flight Simulator was. This is a toy. FS was a simulator, it was an investment. People used it to get familiar with real plane controls and flying, PILOTS used it to supplement training tools. People spend hundreds of dollars buying addons and new scenery and new planes. Flight can't be used in any way like FS was. No third party addons at all, no huge market of enthusiast created products, owners are totally at the whim and mercy of whatever Microsoft feels good enough to feed to us. No competition.

The appeal of FS was the realism for armchair pilots, people who want to fly but can't. "As real as it gets without being there". Flight isn't anything even close to that. It's a huge step backward. What I don't get entirely is WHY? I mean, Microsoft had the corner on a very niche market, but a popular and very active niche market. This is like if Harley Davidson said that as of today they were changing all of their bike lines into water cooled sport touring bikes and abandoning the classic air cooled cruise image they have worked so hard to maintain, but that they are confident people will still buy Harley because hey, it's still a motorcycle, right?

I'm not buying this, no chance unless they at least bring the feature list up to what I already have in FSX. I only hope that another publisher steps in to fill the huge hole that MS has with this move. Xplane isn't it, not yet anyway. Maybe someone new? Damnit, FSX was so close to being outstanding. It only needed a little more work and polish. To be so close and then to give it all up, what a waste...

Rhyvven

Neo Member
Is that city supposed to be Anchorage? Because Anchorage doesn't look like that...

I am sure it is their 'generic' take just for the sake of placing a "city' in the vicinity of where the actual one would be. Even in the old games, there was usually only known "landmarks' placed to give you the impression you were flying over the actual city. Granted, they obviously cannot map to detail entire cities/countries/continents. As stated by others, that's really not the point of a FLIGHT sim. But it does help the flight experience immensely, the more ground details that they CAN include.

That said, I tend to feel that their release of Alaska and it's "captivating scenery" (while absurdly true in real life) is a release they chose since it is basically trees, rocks, mountains and snow. Not too much of a color palette to deal with and they certainly are not terra-mapping the state end to end.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, really want to like this game, being very new to flight games I figured I was their target audience. It's superficial, but I'm wondering how a game this mediocre looking can make my computer chug so much. Charging $8 for a plane I can't even see the cockpit of really turns me off to where they've headed with this DLC stuff. But it is well put together from the mission perspective, the aerocache stuff could get really addicting. Too bad anytime I fly close to a cache the ground and everything around it looks like a PS1 texture :/

I tried it two weeks ago with a friend. A fairly 'meh' experience. Yeah, I guess it is user friendly but I missed what the goal of the game is. It isn't a true sim so learning to fly the aircraft isn't the motivation to play and with the goals so simplistic you can't even argue that the accessibility of the game allows for the fun gameplay moments. I literally just took off, angled my plane in the direction I wanted, and took my hands off the controls. I could take a shower and when I would return nothing would be different other than fuel levels. It also didn't help that the world is rather ugly. The aircraft were of decent quality for being a free-to-play game but Hawaii is nothing but flat land and textures. I think I would rather be water boarded than forced to fly around the circumference of the island. Oh, and the prices for additional content are a joke. If they offered Florida as DLC I might buy but that is simply because I live here and it would be (kind of) cool to fly over my own state. I tried the only component with a friend but it seemed to be having problems. He crashed his plane and respawned but the marker on my screen only showed his downed plane. I never got to see where he was though he told me that my plane appeared on his screen.

inky

A new plane:

Cm2QL.jpg

Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero

The Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero was the primary fighter of the Japanese Navy Air Service from 1940 to 1945 and, when introduced, was considered the most capable carrier-based fighter in the world. This download captures the essence of this agile light-weight fighter, which is perfect for challenges requiring speed and high maneuverability. The A6M2 Zero is an external-only aircraft model. No cockpit view is included.

$7.00

B9R1B.jpg

Not that you cared anyway :p

Mengy

A new plane:

$7.00

no cockpit view included

LOL, whats the fucking point then? Even shareware designers for FSX would release free planes that had cockpit views in them. And Microsoft can't do it for money????

uhhh, no thanks. Pass.

larvi

Still too pricey, might think about it for $20 for the bundle, the way things are looking it's going to cost over $1000 to get all of the US if they ever getting around to release all of the states. So if I buy the DLC over steam do I have to download and reinstall the main game again? And can I still earn the live achievements or only the Steam ones?

So I just started playing this. Even though I have never played the previous games in the series, I have always loved flight sims.

But uhhh...This doesn't feel very simmy to me. I was literally just playing Just Cause 2 before this, and the flying doesn't feel any different than that.

That said, I am having fun for a free game.

plc268

So I just started playing this. Even though I have never played the previous games in the series, I have always loved flight sims.

But uhhh...This doesn't feel very simmy to me. I was literally just playing Just Cause 2 before this, and the flying doesn't feel any different than that.

That said, I am having fun for a free game.

I don't know about that, flying in Just Cause 2 was terrible because you couldn't use the plane's rudders.

This is so disapointing.

Instead of releasing a new flight sim we get one territory, and it cost $20. I can only assume Alaska is going to cost the same. At this rate we're going to be paying significantly more then previous versions, for significantly less content. This game is going to costs hundreds of dollars by the time there's any reasonable amount of content available.

MS Flight Simlulator as we know it is dead.

It really sucks. When I first started hearing about all these Free2Play games I was excited, and some of them aren't that bad. Unfortunately MS took the ball and ran with it. They ruined their flight sim just like they ruined Age of Empires. I'm not really interested in paying $100 for a season pass where after a year i'll end up with less content, but paying more, then if it was just a standard release for $50-60.

I can't support this crap.

Mengy

This is so disapointing.

Instead of releasing a new flight sim we get one territory, and it cost $20. I can only assume Alaska is going to cost the same. At this rate we're going to be paying significantly more then previous versions, for significantly less content. This game is going to costs hundreds of dollars by the time there's any reasonable amount of content available.

MS Flight Simlulator as we know it is dead.

It really sucks. When I first started hearing about all these Free2Play games I was excited, and some of them aren't that bad. Unfortunately MS took the ball and ran with it. They ruined their flight sim just like they ruined Age of Empires. I'm not really interested in paying $100 for a season pass where after a year i'll end up with less content, but paying more, then if it was just a standard release for $50-60.

I can't support this crap.

It's not dead. You can still buy Flight Simulator X with the expansion pack, and cheaply too.

As for MS Flight, yeah it sucks and is not worth the price at all. I'm personally hoping it flops hugely if only to send MS a very strong message. As for the future of flight sims, someone else will step up to take MS place. Their is too huge a devoted market to ignore.

inky

P-40

Famous for its "shark mouth" paint jobs, the P-40 was one of the most popular Allied fighter planes in WWII. This classic aircraft's agility makes it ideal for tests of maneuverability such as collecting Aerocaches. The version in Microsoft Flight is the P-40B, with a 1000 HP in-line V-12 engine and a top speed of over 300 knots.

vMLET.jpg

No Cockpit view is included $7.00

Does anyone still play this?

Top Bottom