• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

kazinova

Quoting this so I remember to try this out when I get the time.

Sketchbook Pro isn't cutting it for me.

I'm actually liking Clip Studio a lot better than Sketchbook Pro. I think Photoshop is still my favorite but I can't justify the $120 price tag for one year. Especially given that I might stop drawing before then like most of my other passing hobbies. (I dabble in a lot of stuff for a hot couple months and then drop it like a bad habit.)

zou

Any way to turn off that annoying little cross hair that indicates where you are pointing with the stylus?

Any way to turn off that annoying little cross hair that indicates where you are pointing with the stylus?

Technically I think you can replace what the pointer is, but if it's anything like the SP1, you'll need it because the sensor is slightly off.

Chris R

So could someone explain to me what the multi monitor solution would be for someone using this in the docking station?

Would the docking station power one monitor off the MiniDisplay port and the Surface power another off it's exposed MiniDisplay port?

PG2G

So could someone explain to me what the multi monitor solution would be for someone using this in the docking station?

Would the docking station power one monitor off the MiniDisplay port and the Surface power another off it's exposed MiniDisplay port?

I THINK you can daisy chain Display Port Monitors, so the second monitor would just be connected to the first. Not 100% sure though

RayStorm

As far as I see (of which I have tried neither) there are three options:
1) as you described by using the port of the dock and the port of the Surface
2) as PG2G described by daisy chaining them
3) by using a DP-Hub like this

Totakeke

Well he clearly knows nothing about drawing but he clearly has an opinion that Cintiq is far superior. He could've also just moved the taskbar to the left, right, or even top. And he doesn't really want a tablet nor a stylus.

If my job requires me to type on airports and airplanes like most of these reviewers, yeah it's probably a good idea to just get a laptop.

Schlep

. If my job requires me to type on airports and airplanes like most of these reviewers, yeah it's probably a good idea to just get a laptop.

As someone who travels for work frequently, I feel like you'd be crazy to prefer a laptop for that. It's rare to find an airport without some place to set up shop if you're there for a few hours. On the plane itself, there's no question as to which is better, especially on older planes with cramped quarters. Also the lightness and not having to take the SP3 out for TSA or buy a special bag is a big plus.

kazinova

Now I'm going to go back on what I said. The simplicity of Sketchbook Pro is more appealing now that I looked up a couple of tutorials on creating brushes to work with your digitizer.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it through Amazon (~$42 instead of $65), plus I'm comfortable with Autodesk as a company and their product support.

And even though the brush engine in Clip Studio seemed better at first it's so highly geared towards anime/manga style inking that I felt like I would be limited to waifu portraits (hyperbole, I know, it just feels very confining).

Chris R

I THINK you can daisy chain Display Port Monitors, so the second monitor would just be connected to the first. Not 100% sure though

The monitors are not DP Monitors, just DVI/VGA. Two adapters looks like it will have to do!

Thanks.

Dramos

Looks like I'm on the verge to pull the trigger on this device for my next 3 years in university. The question remains, I still don't know which version should I get. I will be using it for web and software development. I will also play light games on Steam. Is the i7 + HD 5000 worth it?

Schlep

Looks like I'm on the verge to pull the trigger on this device for my next 3 years in university. The question remains, I still don't know which version should I get. I will be using it for web and software development. I will also play light games on Steam. Is the i7 + HD 5000 worth it?
I would say so. The i5 can handle development, but I think you'll be better off with the HD 5000 for games. If you go with the i5, I'd use the single screen external monitor setup.

Either way, the Surface is not all that great for games unless you're talking indie stuff only.

CrankyJay

Banned
Played other one yesterday in the Buffalo Microsoft store. It's a slick device. With all the option I would want though it seems expensive.

I mean, it depends on the types of games you'll play, and how large of projects you're compiling and working on. I have the i7 SP2 because I do some development on it. I think the i7 will probably last you longer, but you'll be perfectly fine with the i5 though if you'd rather save a bit for Uni.

Dramos

I mean, it depends on the types of games you'll play, and how large of projects you're compiling and working on. I have the i7 SP2 because I do some development on it. I think the i7 will probably last you longer, but you'll be perfectly fine with the i5 though if you'd rather save a bit for Uni.

I'll most likely play indie games such as Transistor, Brothers, etc. Also, I'm still not sure where I will be specializing myself in. Specialized programs such as video games may require heavy computing when it comes to A.I. I'm just afraid that the difference will be small since the i7 is still in reality a dual core.

Mairu

There's an i7 Surface Pro 2?

For my SP3 I picked up a Razer Orochi mouse, and a Logitech K810 Bluetooth keyboard.

They are awesome and the best travel mouse and travel keyboard I have ever used.

Lucius86

Banned
For my SP3 I picked up a Razer Orochi mouse, and a Logitech K810 Bluetooth keyboard.

They are awesome and the best travel mouse and travel keyboard I have ever used.

I got the Orochi mouse for my SP2 - great little device, but when in Bluetooth mode it can drop connection for about 5-10 seconds every now and then - but then it pops back straight after, just need to wait for it to come back. My Orochi is the 2013 model.

Would be intrigued to hear your experiences with it on the SP3.

jwk94

Well he clearly knows nothing about drawing but he clearly has an opinion that Cintiq is far superior. He could've also just moved the taskbar to the left, right, or even top. And he doesn't really want a tablet nor a stylus.

If my job requires me to type on airports and airplanes like most of these reviewers, yeah it's probably a good idea to just get a laptop.
Wait why a laptop?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Not to sound too much like an ad but I really love this tablet. I'm subbing in on guitar in my brother-in-laws band for a party and I don't really have a setup for playing live. So I installed Guitar Rig 5, used my Scarlett 2i4 USB audio interface and I now have an ultra-light mobile studio setup that fits on a music stand. Plus I have all the chord charts in OneNote and during rehearsals I was able to use the pen to write notes directly onto the charts.

So awesome.

I tried to use my SP3 with a displayport->hdmi cable today on a TV. During my fiddling I saw it pop up for a second but otherwise I got "no signal" on the TV. I tried screen-mirroring, extending, etc. After I started fiddling with it for a while, the SP3 screen would immediately turn black whenever I inserted the cable, and would stay that way until I disconnected it. I have also tried changing the resolution on the SP3 to 1080p and 720p before connecting it. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

I got the Orochi mouse for my SP2 - great little device, but when in Bluetooth mode it can drop connection for about 5-10 seconds every now and then - but then it pops back straight after, just need to wait for it to come back. My Orochi is the 2013 model.

Would be intrigued to hear your experiences with it on the SP3.
Its works the same on the SP3. I believe the mouse is designed to turn off after about 30 seconds of non-use, and you have to wait a sec for it to wake up. It doesn't bother me though. Super comfortable mouse.

I picked up one of those cushioned lapdesk things at Best Today. It has a grove along the back that the SP3 kickstand can rest in for some stability. I'm going to put self-adhesive magnetic strips in the bottom of that groove, and then glue felt or something over that and on the sides of the groove. This will help secure the kickstand in place and give some cushioning for any scraping that might otherwise happen. I'll find a large, thin gaming mousepad that fits the surface area of the lapdesk, for the SP3, mouse, and Bluetooth keyboard to sit on.

Canon

Banned
Not to sound too much like an ad but I really love this tablet. I'm subbing in on guitar in my brother-in-laws band for a party and I don't really have a setup for playing live. So I installed Guitar Rig 5, used my Scarlett 2i4 USB audio interface and I now have an ultra-light mobile studio setup that fits on a music stand. Plus I have all the chord charts in OneNote and during rehearsals I was able to use the pen to write notes directly onto the charts.

So awesome.
Still wondering if I should return this thing but there's certain things such as that which I cannot find a replacement for on other devices.

Linus mentioned the Dell XPS 12, is that pretty much a Surface alternative? The Sony Vaio Flip is also another similar thing but it doesn't look better than the Surface.

I have some major issues with the Surface.

1) Backlight bleed, as Linus mentioned.
2) Heat.
3) Fan noise.
4) Blurry applications (not properly scaled).
5) My Nexus 7 seems to have better sound so I'm not sure I agree with the positives on this. It's not god awful though.
6) Track pad is really inaccurate.
7) Too heavy for one-handed use
8) A little too small for laptop use

But I still find myself liking it most of the time.

Do you think the Surface Pro 4 will finally get it all right, more or less?

I'm always so tempted to get these things but I don't actually have a use case for them yet. Stuff like the positioning of the windows button or the kickstand interfering with touching the task bar a bit in certain position makes me think that this might need to go through one more year of refinement. And the prospect of better specs next year is also naturally a draw.

I'm always so tempted to get these things but I don't actually have a use case for them yet. Stuff like the positioning of the windows button or the kickstand interfering with touching the task bar a bit in certain position makes me think that this might need to go through one more year of refinement. And the prospect of better specs next year is also naturally a draw.

I think Surface Pro 4 could be either a huge departure due to use of Core-M, or pretty much the same as SP3 with Broadwell ULV.

If it uses Core-M, it will be even lighter and fanless, but will be significantly less powerful.

If it uses ULV Core version of Broadwell, it will not veer much at all from Surface Pro 3 template and be a slightly more powerful and/or efficient.

Lucius86

Banned
I think Surface Pro 4 could be either a huge departure due to use of Core-M, or pretty much the same as SP3 with Broadwell ULV.

If it uses Core-M, it will be even lighter and fanless, but will be significantly less powerful.

If it uses ULV Core version of Broadwell, it will not veer much at all from Surface Pro 3 template and be a slightly more powerful and/or efficient.

I hope they don't go down the Core-M route - I won't get a SP4/5 if that's the case - I'm using my SP2 as a laptop and desktop replacement, so I want the extra power.

I also want a 16GB RAM model in the future so I can run more than a single virtual machine at the same time. Having just one can be a bit limiting at times.

Each iteration has made significant progressions, so it would only make sense the SP4 does as well as Microsoft listens to feedback for the SP3. I think we are only one more iteration away from the complete deal, although the SP4 could be more a refinement of the SP3, whilst the SP5 will be the next big leap in terms of model progression, similar to the SP1/2/3 cycle.

I'm really surprised they decided to move the Windows button, for me it makes complete sense where it was on the SP1/2 and needn't move. Perhaps they could make it LED backlit, so when you rotate the device it disappears from one edge and appears on the other so it doesn't interfere when drawing as it's always located on the bottom of the screen edge.

I'm really surprised they decided to move the Windows button, for me it makes complete sense where it was on the SP1/2 and needn't move. Perhaps they could make it LED backlit, so when you rotate the device it disappears from one edge and appears on the other so it doesn't interfere when drawing as it's always located on the bottom of the screen edge.

They moved it because it would be covered by the new typecover if they didn't.

And presumably putting it on the opposite end of the tablet makes it too awkward to press.

Seeing how they presented the Surface Pro 2 as the powerful tablet beast that can even handle and edit files from a RED camera, I can't see them going back in terms of power.

They moved it because it would be covered by the new typecover if they didn't.

And presumably putting it on the opposite end of the tablet makes it too awkward to press.

And it would've been perfectly fine if the type cover covered the button. Why? Because the type cover has its own Windows button.

Blackhead

Redarse
Am I the only person who mainly used the Surface Pro in portrait mode (with a Ring mouse on my finger)? This new Windows button placement is actually better for me.

Of course the best solution is make it a physical button so there are fewer accidental touches.

I kind of wonder why not embed the start button rather than move it? Just have it a few millimeters deeper than the bezel and let the cover cover it. The keyboard has a start button anyway & it's not like there isn't a million other ways to hit start.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Have had the machine since release. Haven't had any major issues with the windows button placement. Seems like the best placement imo given the other factors.

Please don't be RT. Please don't be RT. Please don't be RT...

It was always going to be RT, which is kinda the reason it was canceled in the first place. RT doesn't have a full "touch-first" version of Office yet and without that, it wasn't going to be differentiating enough, compared to other small tablets.

All according to rumors, of course.

But with the Surface Mini references in the SP3 manual, mentioning that it uses the same pen, I'm not sure if I'd really care.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Still wondering if I should return this thing but there's certain things such as that which I cannot find a replacement for on other devices.

Linus mentioned the Dell XPS 12, is that pretty much a Surface alternative? The Sony Vaio Flip is also another similar thing but it doesn't look better than the Surface.

I have some major issues with the Surface.

1) Backlight bleed, as Linus mentioned.
2) Heat.
3) Fan noise.
4) Blurry applications (not properly scaled).
5) My Nexus 7 seems to have better sound so I'm not sure I agree with the positives on this. It's not god awful though.
6) Track pad is really inaccurate.
7) Too heavy for one-handed use
8) A little too small for laptop use

But I still find myself liking it most of the time.

Out of your list the only one that bothers me is heat but that's a consequence of having such a light and thin device which so much power. The heat only bothers me when I'm drawing though, if I'm surfing or reading I just flip the device so that I'm holding the cool side.

I personally don't find it too heavy to hold in one hand.

Top Bottom