• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

For some reason my SP3 just ignores the power button. When pressed it does not shut down. After a reset it will work for a while and then does the same again. Anyone else have this problem and if so is there a fix?

see5harp

I actually played with one for the first time at a Best Buy. This thing actually looks and works very well. A little outside of my price range, since I really don't actually need another laptop or tablet.

Future

Been using this for about a week now and I am liking it a lot. Got a bunch of apps and programs on it now, and it's feeling good as both a tablet and productive experience

Next step is to set up my desk at home just right. I don't know about paying 200 bucks for the official dock when that comes out. I think I'm just gonna get a powered usb3 hub, and a display port to hdmi converter for like 1/3 the price. Why would anyone get the dock?

Anyone get that arc mouse thing? I like how compact it looks, but something looks strange about it. Haven't been able to demo one yet

Jeff-DSA

Even after my disappointing sales experience at Best Buy, I'm still really high on the SP3 and will most likely pick one up next week after my next paycheck. I can go get one today, but I'm forcing myself to wait to make sure it's what I really want. I just got a $650 bonus, so that covers a huge chunk of the cost for me for the i5 model.

Has anybody done much work on spreadsheets with this? How well does it work for Excel projects when you're dealing with a few hundred rows of data?

ElNino

Been using this for about a week now and I am liking it a lot. Got a bunch of apps and programs on it now, and it's feeling good as both a tablet and productive experience

Next step is to set up my desk at home just right. I don't know about paying 200 bucks for the official dock when that comes out. I think I'm just gonna get a powered usb3 hub, and a display port to hdmi converter for like 1/3 the price. Why would anyone get the dock?

Anyone get that arc mouse thing? I like how compact it looks, but something looks strange about it. Haven't been able to demo one yet
I have been using this USB dock for my Surface Pro 1, Plugable UD-3000.

It works great for me and has everything needed to dock to a desktop (ethernet, video, audio, USB 3.0/2.0 ports). The only downsides are that it doesn't charge the Surface (not a big deal) and that it increases CPU usage when using an external monitor as it uses DisplayLink (also not a huge deal since I am docked on my desk and can easily plug in).

Nero3000

Has anybody done much work on spreadsheets with this? How well does it work for Excel projects when you're dealing with a few hundred rows of data?

I have the surface pro 1.

Works brilliantly for a few hundred thousand rows in Excel (and a few million in PowerPivot). So you should be fine.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I know there were several people in the thread who had posted they wanted to get an SP2 when they finally went on sale.

Apparently MS finally put them on sale today - details here.

hwalker84

Any must change settings for the Surface Pro 3? Driver updates that aren't in Windows Update? It's weird having a pen. Used to my Surface 2.

PG2G

As expensive as the dock is, it seems like its a much cleaner and simple option than anything else for those of us planning to also use it on a desk.

Totakeke

What's the best mouse for SP3 so far? The Arc Touch Surface Edition mouse? Doesn't seem like Amazon is selling it, what's the lowest price you can get for that?

Schlep

Was hoping that the dock release date had been moved up. It's odd going from having one with the SP2 to not having one right now, but somehow I'll make it until 8/15.

kazinova

After some time with all the programs I think I'm settling on Sketchbook Pro. Sketching in GIMP feels...well, gimped and the Lightroom experience is more advanced than I need for just storing and light edits. The free version of Sketchbook isn't good enough so the sweet spot between cost, usefulness and features is shelling out the $65 for SKetchbook Pro.

After some time with all the programs I think I'm settling on Sketchbook Pro. Sketching in GIMP feels...well, gimped and the Lightroom experience is more advanced than I need for just storing and light edits. The free version of Sketchbook isn't good enough so the sweet spot between cost, usefulness and features is shelling out the $65 for SKetchbook Pro.

Clip Studio Paint. $50. Way better brush engine. Especially inking. Doesn't allow finger painting by accident.

http://www.clipstudio.net/en

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Since our office all got SP3s we've had a lot of growing pains (we were running Windows NT) and getting used to 8.1 so I'm reserving my judgment until I've spent more time with it. However, my initial impressions is that it has wonderful build quality, is light and fast, and works well as a mobile workstation... but the tablet experience is not what I'm used to with either iOS or Android (although still better than a budget Android tablet).

Handwriting / Drawing and OneNote has been great, though, and that fulfills the company's goals for adopting the SP3... most of the time. I've had an instance where we've been asked to turn off our device, even in slate mode, thus frustrating its purpose in those situations (apologize if I'm being general, but can't be more detailed than that).

Anyways, as a laptop it's solid... the only thing I'm really missing if using the type cover alone, is a middle mouse button. Anyone have any tricks for implementing a middle mouse click?
holy hell, really?

Really? I don't have a bluetooth mouse, but I had heard this complaint when previously shopping around for one and opted for a regular usb wireless mouse instead. I may have to look-into getting myself a bluetooth mouse again now that I have this new information. Out of curiosity, which Surface/Pro device do you have?
I have the Arc mouse and I have not experienced anything like this with my surface pro 2.

WAT.

I would have given you a benefit of doubt that you might have a defective hardware but you are saying its shit as your previous surface experience, which means you got two defective hardware OR The surface build quality is shit in real. WHICH I don't think anyone here or anywhere would believe it. Its the finest piece of device I have ever owned. And its better than iPhone 4 design or anything Apple has ever created. And keep in mind Apple has the best design teams around the world. And the fact MS can top that with their surface family, is remarkable on its own. And you are saying its "SHIT".

So again, in all seriousness. May be you are that unlucky one and got two defective hardware. Go and replace it.
Yea outside of apple I'm not sure anyone has a better build quality than the surface line. Of course hardware breaks, occasionally it gets shipped broken, these things happen.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I am getting the issue where I have to restart my wifi connection after sleep :(

WiFi is the only issue I have with the SP3, it's really quite terrible. My DV8Pro gets much better network speeds than my SP does.

bill0527

I'm also having the same issue of wifi not waking up after sleep mode or a long period of inactivity. I usually have to disconnect and reconnect. It's annoying for sure, but it's my only complaint with the device so far.

I hope there is a fix or an acknowledgement soon because I really don't want to have to return this and deal with Best Buy again.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

hwalker84

MicroSD card slot appears broken. Anything i have to do on the Surface Pro 3 to activate it? I've rebooted. The card is brand new and I've verified it works in other devices.

I preordered this sleeve/case from WaterField Designs. It's by far the coolest one I've seen yet, but Brenthaven has some really good SP3 stuff as well.

That's a purse.
aPfJOs9.jpg

Well. Dropped mine on the floor accidentally and the screen is cracked. It fell right on the tip left corner on hardwood floor from a decent height.

Will call Microsoft to get it fixed. I'm hoping it doesn't set me back too much.

I'm livid. But was accidental. Ugh.

Edit: looks like my visa should cover the damages. Will phone them first.

hwalker84

WiFi has started disappearing. Has anyone tried their microsd slot? Is there a click? Mine has none of that. Doesn't show up. I've tried pushing the card really hard.

hwalker84

I thought all windows updates had installed. I ran them again and the device wanted to restart (even though in had done this 3-5 times troubleshooting the micros card issue). New firmware installed and we're all good. SD card working perfectly.

kazinova

As a general point of note, if you installed Visual Studio it installs HyperV, disabling InstantOn and effing up your wifi and devices on wake since there's no connected standby.

There is a fix at winsupersite.com

Just a note.

As a general point of note, if you installed Visual Studio it installs HyperV, disabling InstantOn and effing up your wifi and devices on wake since there's no connected standby.

There is a fix at winsupersite.com

Just a note.

I think this is my issue. Fuck me. Thanks.

Phoenix's Rage

Neo Member
I'm very interested in the SP3, but have some reservations about the keyboard. Has anyone spent extended periods working/typing in MS Word and Excel?

kazinova

I'm very interested in the SP3, but have some reservations about the keyboard. Has anyone spent extended periods working/typing in MS Word and Excel?

I was convinced by spending a couple minutes with the thing at a nearby Microsoft store. Any Best Buy should at least have a Surface Pro 2 with a Type Cover 2 you can play with on display. The keyboard on the Type Cover Pro (the one for the SP3) and the Type Cover 2 is identical (source: I own one and my wife owns the other).

You won't be able to type all that fast on it immediately, I'm still not up to full speed I think but it's pretty obvious in about five minutes of typing whether it'll eventually work for you or not.

It's a definite "your mileage may vary" situation. Some reviewers never liked the Type Cover typing experience, but they type for a living and have very specific expectations (though, if they type so much why they would prefer a MacBook Air over an ergo or full sized keyboard is beyond me...) I do not type for a living, but like to blog on occasion, and I've been as satisfied with the typing experience on the Type Cover Pro as I was on my old Toshiba laptop.

Enron

Banned
The type cover is fine for everyday use - however, I would not want to write a 30 page paper on this thing or anything like that. The biggest annoyance with it that i have is finding the f/j home keys when you put your hands on it. Tons of times i start typing and bam, jibberish comes out cause ive misplaced my hands on the keyboard.

I typed about 30% of my NaNoWriMo novel on a type cover. It worked out pretty well.

I wouldn't want to use it for 40 hours every week, but during both my overseas flights it was used for 4+ hours quite comfortably on a plane.

AlexMogil

I wish they'd get their voice recognition engine going soon. I know Windows has one and it's good, but it has very little system integration. Just a microphone key on the soft keyboard... or better yet, why not a key on the touch/type covers? Let me dictate to this thing with your excellent speech software!

Animator

I hated the type kb with SP2. It is extremely uncomfortable to type with when it is flat on a surface like the type 2 cover is. Type 3 cover is a completely different beast for me thanks to that inclined position it has when you snap it to the screen.

I went from "I wont use this for anything more than writing emails/web" with the sp2 to coding for like three hours yesterday on my sp3. If you are going to try out the keyboard at a store make sure you try the sp3 and not the sp2 cover keyboard because there is a huge difference between them imo.

zou

WAT.

I would have given you a benefit of doubt that you might have a defective hardware but you are saying its shit as your previous surface experience, which means you got two defective hardware OR The surface build quality is shit in real. WHICH I don't think anyone here or anywhere would believe it. Its the finest piece of device I have ever owned. And its better than iPhone 4 design or anything Apple has ever created. And keep in mind Apple has the best design teams around the world. And the fact MS can top that with their surface family, is remarkable on its own. And you are saying its "SHIT".

So again, in all seriousness. May be you are that unlucky one and got two defective hardware. Go and replace it.

I'm talking about build quality, not design. Also, Apple really isn't known for their build quality either, though I guess that might have finally changed in the past couple of years. And I already mentioned that trying to get a replacement in Europe is a bitch.

I think you to check the build quality of your desk, seems like it's uneven.

No, looking around various forums it seems to be common enough, same goes for the uneven bezel/spacing.

And on top of that, they are having the same damn Wifi/driver troubles again, CS isn't working and/or draining batteries (just like with the Dell Venue before they finally fixed it). Oh and more often than not it will not exit stand-by and only a couple of hard resets seem to help. If it's not that, the touch screen will be non-responsive after unlocking the device.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
No, looking around various forums it seems to be common enough, same goes for the uneven bezel/spacing.

And on top of that, they are having the same damn Wifi/driver troubles again, CS isn't working and/or draining batteries (just like with the Dell Venue before they finally fixed it). Oh and more often than not it will not exit stand-by and only a couple of hard resets seem to help. If it's not that, the touch screen will be non-responsive after unlocking the device.

Sounds like it isn't the machine for you. The beauty of return policies!

Top Bottom