• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Good, so that works as it always has (in Windows) with a Surface3. I can't begin to tell you how much in annoys me with my Toshiba Encore that I can't have the screen turn itself off without the whole desktop going to sleep.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood your question XD I though you were asking on a regular laptop/ultrabook to have that funcionality.

Unfortunatelly, I don't have a SP3 yet to test that for you :(

(But since it seems that once you enable hyperV it goes back to being a regular win machine I would say it's possible)

Alric

Not really looking to get one of these for gaming but IGN says it plays Hearthstone on low settings yet I see people talking about playing Civ 5 and other games. I don't remember Hearthstone being that demanding at all, am I missing something.

Not really looking to get one of these for gaming but IGN says it plays Hearthstone on low settings yet I see people talking about playing Civ 5 and other games. I don't remember Hearthstone being that demanding at all, am I missing something.

No idea what IGN is saying. I really don't see why you wouldn't be able to run Hearthstone on Max (maybe you'd want it on Low if you're on battery or something or to maximize framerate). I don't have Hearthstone on my SP2 or else I'd try. However, I've played Civ V on my SP2 just fine. It even has a touch mode for tablets. You do have to play that at the lowest settings in Civ, but it's fine (and somewhat expected).

Alric

No idea what IGN is saying. I really don't see why you wouldn't be able to run Hearthstone on Max (maybe you'd want it on Low if you're on battery or something or to maximize framerate). I don't have Hearthstone on my SP2 or else I'd try. However, I've played Civ V on my SP2 just fine. It even has a touch mode for tablets. You do have to play that at the lowest settings in Civ, but it's fine (and somewhat expected).

You wouldn't have happened to try Adobe CS5.5 or 6 on the surface? Was thinking about getting one and installing flash to do some animations on the go.

Animator

any impressions yet from this?

Yea it works the same as it does in SP2. Pretty much halves the battery life, I get about 4-5 hours instead of 7-8 on balanced which is fine for me. You can always switch it to balanced when you don't need it anyway. I was not using the connected standby anyway.

Yea it works the same as it does in SP2. Pretty much halves the battery life, I get about 4-5 hours instead of 7-8 on balanced which is fine for me. You can always switch it to balanced when you don't need it anyway. I was not using the connected standby anyway.

okay, so it works. cool. are you noticing any thermal limitations? getting too hot, performance dips, or just straight up too hot in High Performance mode?

You wouldn't have happened to try Adobe CS5.5 or 6 on the surface? Was thinking about getting one and installing flash to do some animations on the go.

No, sorry. Not an artist.

Tycho from Penny Arcade has a SP3 and uses it for drawings though. I would check out his blog for impressions.

Kadux

Neo Member
Anyone knows when the i7 model will be out in Hong Kong? I'll be there in mid august and was wondering if it'll be available there.
I come from a 2008 MacBook but I still don't know if I should pull the trigger. Apple makes a hell of a laptop and I never had a single issue with mine, which is why I'm hesitating since I've been reading some issues with the surface pro 3. Seems like a great device and I would use it to do some light gaming on steam, watch movies and hook it up to my TV, some word processing... Nothing too demanding. I'm willing to switch back to windows after all these years. Hope I don't regret it! Would hate to get one only to return it and buy a rMBP

TKR92

Anyone knows when the i7 model will be out in Hong Kong? I'll be there in mid august and was wondering if it'll be available there.
I come from a 2008 MacBook but I still don't know if I should pull the trigger. Apple makes a hell of a laptop and I never had a single issue with mine, which is why I'm hesitating since I've been reading some issues with the surface pro 3. Seems like a great device and I would use it to do some light gaming on steam, watch movies and hook it up to my TV, some word processing... Nothing too demanding. I'm willing to switch back to windows after all these years. Hope I don't regret it! Would hate to get one only to return it and buy a rMBP

The official launching statement said by "by the end of August". But It could be changed, I guess.

Kadux

Neo Member
The official launching statement said by "by the end of August". But It could be changed, I guess.
Yeah, I'm guessing I won't be able to get one there, which sucks since they're 300 euros cheaper than in Europe...
Thanks for the info anyway!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Hearthstone has configurable settings? I don't really remember changing everything.

Yeah, low, medium and high. It defaulted to med on both my DV8P and SP3 but it runs fine when changing it to high.

ElNino

Hearthstone runs perfectly on a Venue 8 Pro. A Surface Pro 3 could handle it without a sweat.
Wow, really? What kind of settings?
I didn't even know Hearthstone had a Windows version (I had only seen the iPad version).

I installed it on my Surface Pro 1 last night and it seemed to play fine on the default (Medium) settings, but I have never played it before so I don't really have a reference point to compare against. It doesn't seem like a demanding game though GPU wise so I don't see why any of the Surface Pros (particularly the Pro 3) wouldn't be able to play it.

kazinova

I didn't even know Hearthstone had a Windows version (I had only seen the iPad version).

DANG KIDS, these days, no respect, yada yada.

The battle.net version hit first, it was the original! Thinking Hearthstone is an iPad game is like complaining that Daft Punk ripped off Kanye. /s

Hearthstone runs perfectly on any Surface Pro. 1, 2 or 3.

ElNino

DANG KIDS, these days, no respect, yada yada.

The battle.net version hit first, it was the original! Thinking Hearthstone is an iPad game is like complaining that Daft Punk ripped off Kanye. /s

Hearthstone runs perfectly on any Surface Pro. 1, 2 or 3.
I'm not a kid... in fact I only found about Hearthstone when my son asked me to download it on his iPad. I just don't use my PC much for gaming and don't follow Bilzzard's games too much as a result.

I just created a Battle.net account yesterday to download it, it seems fun and runs well on the SP so I'll keep it around I guess.

TxdoHawk

I installed it on my Surface Pro 1 last night and it seemed to play fine on the default (Medium) settings, but I have never played it before so I don't really have a reference point to compare against. It doesn't seem like a demanding game though GPU wise so I don't see why any of the Surface Pros (particularly the Pro 3) wouldn't be able to play it.

I meant the Venue 8 Pro. I'd be worried if the SP3 couldn't run Hearthstone!

AlexMogil

Only way Mini would make sense imo would be RT + Pen input, with integration of Windows Phone apps.

You might be right. I'm ready to defend the Venue 8 Pro because I love it.... but I primarily use Metro apps. The pen makes a big difference though.

Just got one to partially replace the laptop I've been rolling with for 4 years. Runs like a dream, and definitely is the productivity machine I had hoped it would be. I've heard the thing is pretty hard and possibly expensive to repair, though. Would anyone here have experience that corroborates this?

AlexMogil

Just heard about the fixed focus camera. Kind of bummed. :(

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-quality/52a2b69b-aa2e-49bb-8287-55dd37f60c6a

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/63040-surface-pro-3-camera-awful.html

This is the first thing that has made me seriously consider canceling my order.

Things like this drive me crazy. I am a Surface Pro 2 user with a dock.

The dock has 10/100 Ethernet
One Mini DisplayPort
A single USB3 Port
Covers the Surface's USB3 Port

The Surface 3 camera stinks.
The dock *still* only has one DisplayPort - they recommend plugging into the Surface's exposed DisplayPort thus making the concept of a DOCK a little silly.

Screen scaling still is a bummer in Desktop move vs. Metro mode.

There is no real pen storage when in a completely mobile mode and you need a charge (picky, yeah, but come on).

It's like Microsoft doesn't actually use these products sometimes. I want to love my Surfaces but sheesh. It feels like the Xbox One.

Can you actually use the Surface Pro 3 on your lap, say on a sofa? And comfortable use it, not "if you sit just like this with your knees flexed it's moderately stable" use it.

I'm deciding between a Surface 3 i5 and a Yoga Pro 2 i7. The Yoga seems like the better buy, but I do think the Surface looks cooler. Just so much more expensive to get it to be comparable. I usually use my computer on the sofa while watching tv and not at a desk.

AlexMogil

I was considering the Venue 8 or 11 Pro, but I'd be using it a lot keyboardless and I've heard lots of complaints about keyboard taps registering multiple times. Think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet on an SP3.

The Venue 8 Pro is *great* if you get it on sale. It is slowish, no doubt, but if you get the pen (sold separately) you have a really nifty device. I can't kill the battery when it is in sleep mode. it gets email and just chugs along. It is my OneNote/Metro Machine. What the Surface Mini could be.

dLMN8R

Can you actually use the Surface Pro 3 on your lap, say on a sofa? And comfortable use it, not "if you sit just like this with your knees flexed it's moderately stable" use it.

I'm deciding between a Surface 3 i5 and a Yoga Pro 2 i7. The Yoga seems like the better buy, but I do think the Surface looks cooler. Just so much more expensive to get it to be comparable. I usually use my computer on the sofa while watching tv and not at a desk.

I actually think the Surface Pro 3 is *better* on my lap than a laptop when sitting on the couch. First because it doesn't cook my junk. But mostly because I usually sit on a couch with my feet propped up and my knees bent, up in the air.

A laptop would sit on my thighs sliding toward me unless I held it firmly in place. The Surface Pro 3, on the other hand, just plops on top of my knees. Kick stand on one side, device / keyboard on the other side.

PL5AU0F.jpg

Just got one to partially replace the laptop I've been rolling with for 4 years. Runs like a dream, and definitely is the productivity machine I had hoped it would be. I've heard the thing is pretty hard and possibly expensive to repair, though. Would anyone here have experience that corroborates this?

This iFixit teardown goes into the repairability. They give it a repairability score of
1/10

Tablo

Just heard about the fixed focus camera. Kind of bummed. :(

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-quality/52a2b69b-aa2e-49bb-8287-55dd37f60c6a

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/63040-surface-pro-3-camera-awful.html

This is the first thing that has made me seriously consider canceling my order.

I'm going to tear my hair out. I did not know they were this shit, how could they go wrong? Just take a generic 5MP phone sensor and slap two of them there...
Fucking shit, classic Microsoft. I wanted a camera upgrade from the SP1, it's handy for recording a lecture or quickly snapping a pic of a document without having to do it on my phone, send to OneNote, or wait for OneDrive to sync it. Ugh.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm going to tear my hair out. I did not know they were this shit, how could they go wrong? Just take a generic 5MP phone sensor and slap two of them there...
Fucking shit, classic Microsoft. I wanted a camera upgrade from the SP1, it's handy for recording a lecture or quickly snapping a pic of a document without having to do it on my phone, send to OneNote, or wait for OneDrive to sync it. Ugh.

Seriously, it's just so stupid and short-sighted. Can't believe they cheaped out like this. This is supposed to be a laptop replacement, right. :(

I would definitely invest in the MS Complete warranty for accident coverage. I think you have 45 days after purchase to buy it.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-warranty

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I actually think the Surface Pro 3 is *better* on my lap than a laptop when sitting on the couch. First because it doesn't cook my junk. But mostly because I usually sit on a couch with my feet propped up and my knees bent, up in the air.

A laptop would sit on my thighs sliding toward me unless I held it firmly in place. The Surface Pro 3, on the other hand, just plops on top of my knees. Kick stand on one side, device / keyboard on the other side.

PL5AU0F.jpg
ha, i have the same Logitech keyboard for my htpc.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That seems like it would make the whole thing much thicker. You also don't need the stand part if it since the new hinge is really versatile. The type cover doesn't provide any protection to the back of the device however.
Yeah. The big deciding factor for me was that it's like 80% cheaper. I also like the folio style case, in case I want to carry my Surface around like a tablet, I guess, but it's definitely the price.

i'd say so
Why?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Yeah. The big deciding factor for me was that it's like 80% cheaper. I also like the folio style case, in case I want to carry my Surface around like a tablet, I guess, but it's definitely the price.

Why?
Kinda defeats the purpose of getting a surface. Two of its best features the stand and click in keyboard.

StudioTan

Why?

Well the type cover does provide some stability since it has the built in magnet that attaches to the bottom of the screen and it also comes with a pen loop. If you can return it later then I would wait until you get this one and compare it to the type cover at a Best Buy or something to see which you prefer. The type cover is a bit pricey but I really like that thinness and the fact that keys are back-lit.

EDIT: Yeah, and like Windu said, being able to easily attach and remove the type cover is a big plus.

Why does the password lock keep turning itself on? I've reset it to be disabled a bunch of times and it just randomly decides to ignore the settings

Edit: NM, turns out it was a power options setting that I missed

Top Bottom