• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Starting to get antsy for Friday. I hope Microsoft ships them out to arrive on Friday; I'd love to spend the weekend getting familiar with it.

zou

God, the wifi on the surface is fucking garbage. More or less every time I wake the device, it fails to (re)connect properly. I guess it's better than when it used to forget it had a wifi card and you had to play with the device manager or reboot the damn thing.

sw9GZof.png

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
God, the wifi on the surface is fucking garbage. More or less every time I wake the device, it fails to (re)connect properly. I guess it's better than when it used to forget it had a wifi card and you had to play with the device manager or reboot the damn thing.

I agree, it's the one complaint I have against the device. I've been thinking about buying a USB wireless adapter.

Dead

well not really...yet
I had the wi-fi issue quite a bit at first, but after one of the last few updates, Ive yet to have a problem...connects instantly at startup or wake from sleep...

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I had the wi-fi issue quite a bit at first, but after one of the last few updates, Ive yet to have a problem...connects instantly at startup or wake from sleep...

The problem for me is it says I'm connected but I can't access websites or other machines on my network. I have to disconnect from my router and reconnect....and even then it's just slow. I get much better wifi performance from my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

It took forever but I finally got my 8% cash back from Fatwallet for ordering through the Microsoft store. Even though I went through the right sequence when ordering somehow it didn't take. Fatwallet did an investigation and the funds got approved today. So with the student discount of 10% as well the Surface Pro 3 purchase wasn't that bad after all.

This. Even after the update the wifi is atrocious. I have a USB wifi adapter that I use consistently. Even after I disable and uninstall the Marvell wifi adapter it enables itself automatically and the cycle begins again.

Seriously, a very solid device marred by one terrible component. Hopefully future drivers can get this thing sorted for good.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It took forever but I finally got my 8% cash back from Fatwallet for ordering through the Microsoft store. Even though I went through the right sequence when ordering somehow it didn't take. Fatwallet did an investigation and the funds got approved today. So with the student discount of 10% as well the Surface Pro 3 purchase wasn't that bad after all.

I got mine too. Pretty sweet, 18% off.

Enron

Banned
Some people have had to just keep swapping out Surfaces with the pro 1 and 2 until they got one with acceptable wireless. I am on my second SP1 and i've read about people having 2 or 3 returns until they got one that didn't keep fucking up.

Anyone here using Google Chrome on their SP3?

I installed it when I first got my SP3, but ditched it because the blurry text looked awful.

Today someone pointed me to this Google Chrome Beta blog post, and it looks like they fixed the issue for high-DPI screens. I'm going to try installing the Chrome beta when I get home from work tonight, Internet Explorer has some really annoying issues.

------
When I visit my Destiny site's forum index, click on a post, and then click the "DBO Forum" link at the top to return to the index Internet Explorer doesn't update the link colors to show that I visited that post (like it did back when I used Chrome on my previous PC). It's like IE isn't actually reloading the page, it just sees that I'm visiting the previous page again and pretends I hit the Back button. I haven't figured out a way to fix it, the only option I've found that sounds relevant is "Check for newer versions of stored pages" which I set to "Every time I visit the webpage" but that doesn't help.

Jeff-DSA

Ok, so I've spent some good time with this thing, including 3 out of town trips. I've got a full review and possibly an awkward YouTube video coming, but let me just say that I really dig this machine.

The WiFi issues for me cleaned up after the update, so that's no longer a bother. That was my biggest gripe. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the device, still being heavily trained on a Nexus 10 for tablet stuff, but I'm coming along.

This thing goes everywhere with me. It's just so useful. The pen input is fantastic.

I have to buy an art program. I am leaning towards Manga Studio 5, but Manga Studio 4 EX is on sale. Is it worth going for 4 for the lower cost and the EX stuff? I'm not a power user, I just like to occasionally draw and do a comic here and there.

Mobius 1

Ok, so I've spent some good time with this thing, including 3 out of town trips. I've got a full review and possibly an awkward YouTube video coming, but let me just say that I really dig this machine.

The WiFi issues for me cleaned up after the update, so that's no longer a bother. That was my biggest gripe. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the device, still being heavily trained on a Nexus 10 for tablet stuff, but I'm coming along.

This thing goes everywhere with me. It's just so useful. The pen input is fantastic.

I have to buy an art program. I am leaning towards Manga Studio 5, but Manga Studio 4 EX is on sale. Is it worth going for 4 for the lower cost and the EX stuff? I'm not a power user, I just like to occasionally draw and do a comic here and there.

MS5 goes on sale often. Wait for it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Just got my i7. Currently syncing my Dropbox account to it. SP3 is very hot and fans are pretty loud. :( Hope this goes away.

Trying to get used to Metro (this is my first Win 8 machine). Anyone got any recs for good Metro apps? I've downloaded OneCalendar due to the inability of Google and MS to play nice with each other in the native Win8 Calendar app. Seems to work well. Would love any recs for apps from other folk or if there is a Windows App thread please point me that way (my Google-fu is failing for some reason).

Is there really no way to sign into the Games app with the email associated with my Xbox Live account? If so, that's totally stupid. I really don't want to switch my gamertag to another email address because MS can't be arsed to allow you to sign in with a different account.

aaaaa0

Just got my i7. Currently syncing my Dropbox account to it. SP3 is very hot and fans are pretty loud. :( Hope this goes away.

Make sure you've gotten all the Windows Updates.

Mine quieted down a lot after all the patches were applied and all of my apps were installed.

StudioTan

Ok, well this is weird. I purchased a USB wi-fi adapter because of the crappy connection I was getting in the house and it works much much better, however the machine won't turn off with the power button when it's plugged in. What a strange thing. I have to remove the wi-fi adapter and then it will turn off.

Anyone have an ideas how to fix this?

So, I just got an $1020 Gift Card to the Microsoft Store using my Complete Warranty on my completely broken laptop. I'm now thinking of using it to grab the Surface Pro 3 with a Type Keyboard. With my Gift Card allotment, I'll only want to spend (at most) $200 above what I get (likely going to Tax (13%) or the Complete Warranty again), although I would prefer not to. So that puts me at $1020 + a begrudged $200.

The only thing though is that this will mostly be for school and I'm a computer science student going into his final year, so I'll be typing out alot of code. If I got the Surface, I would definitely be able to use the Pen/OneNote during math lessons and when drawing in my spare time, though for my primary usage (coding), I'm not sure how I would hold out on the Type Cover. My other option would be grabbing a convertible laptop like the Lenovo Yoga which would be a relatively safe bet, but wouldn't offer the bonus of the pen for stuff like note taking or the occasional drawing.

Before I jump on what I want to do though, I was wondering if some Surface Pro users could answer some questions for me. I know people have said good things about the Type Cover, but how good is it. Is it reliable for typing a lot of stuff out? In regards to the Pen, how is the pressure sensitivity? I've heard its a higher curve to use? Then lastly, do you think a surface would work for my usage listed above, or should I go for the safe route of a laptop?

Mobius 1

So I'm an idiot, stopped by the Microsoft Store to see the i7 model and walked out with one. I will test it for artwork and return it in a couple of days if it's not up to the task.

But it's so nice.

Ok, well this is weird. I purchased a USB wi-fi adapter because of the crappy connection I was getting in the house and it works much much better, however the machine won't turn off with the power button when it's plugged in. What a strange thing. I have to remove the wi-fi adapter and then it will turn off.

Anyone have an ideas how to fix this?

Some devices have energy management options... Try checking Device Manager for your device, perhaps there's an option for allowing the computer to sleep with it on.

FWIW, the latest Google Chrome beta (64 bit) works great. HiDPI looks great and the touch control support works pretty well - maybe not as great as Metro IE, but better than the desktop version of IE, since tapping on the address bar in Chrome brings up the virtual keyboard.

I disabled the "Let Google Chrome run in the background" option though, I think it was causing my SP3 to work really hard and turn on the fan. I assume it would hurt battery life too.

TxdoHawk

Before I jump on what I want to do though, I was wondering if some Surface Pro users could answer some questions for me. I know people have said good things about the Type Cover, but how good is it. Is it reliable for typing a lot of stuff out? In regards to the Pen, how is the pressure sensitivity? I've heard its a higher curve to use? Then lastly, do you think a surface would work for my usage listed above, or should I go for the safe route of a laptop?

I would probably go the laptop route with the amount of typing you'll need to do, personally. The 3's type cover is the best one yet, but nothing is going to beat a real keyboard for large volumes of typing. (I'd be arguing otherwise if there was evidence the SP3 was going to get its own version of the Power Cover, but it doesn't seem too likely at the moment.)

So, I just got an $1020 Gift Card to the Microsoft Store using my Complete Warranty on my completely broken laptop. I'm now thinking of using it to grab the Surface Pro 3 with a Type Keyboard. With my Gift Card allotment, I'll only want to spend (at most) $200 above what I get (likely going to Tax (13%) or the Complete Warranty again), although I would prefer not to. So that puts me at $1020 + a begrudged $200.

The only thing though is that this will mostly be for school and I'm a computer science student going into his final year, so I'll be typing out alot of code. If I got the Surface, I would definitely be able to use the Pen/OneNote during math lessons and when drawing in my spare time, though for my primary usage (coding), I'm not sure how I would hold out on the Type Cover. My other option would be grabbing a convertible laptop like the Lenovo Yoga which would be a relatively safe bet, but wouldn't offer the bonus of the pen for stuff like note taking or the occasional drawing.

The ThinkPad yoga exists with a wacom digitizer, but its a 16:9 screen and I'm unsure if the Microsoft store sells it.

dLMN8R

I know I'm biased so w/e, but I completely replaced my work laptop (Dell XPS 12) with a Surface Pro 3 when the i5's came out and have never looked back. My job is almost entirely typing stuff and the type cover 3 works almost perfectly for me, whether it's a technical spec, a long email, working in Excel, or whatever else. On a desk, on my lap, sitting on the couch, on the bus, or wherever.

Jeff-DSA

I've been really impressed with typing on the SP3.

I've played a couple of League of Legends matches on it, and it runs ok. It, as expected, will run warm and get those fans running, but not as loud as my laptop. I was able to play maybe at an 80% level of what I can on my desktop, which is great considering it's on the go. Definitely not bad for getting a match or two in here and there.

If they keep doing little tweaks that improve the performance on this thing, it's just going to push my laptop more and more into obscurity.

Anyone get down to low power, and then suddenly get a 10% warning followed immediately by a 7% warning followed immediately by the system losing power?

Also, the casing of my power cable is already coming apart from the tip that connects to the SP3. Should I ask Microsoft about replacing it for me?

Should be getting mine today. UPS actually came to my house on Friday, but since it requires a signature, and the retailer (Best Buy) specified that the delivery method could not be changed by UPS (so I couldn't pick it up at the store), I had to leave a signed slip out. Can't wait!

Jeff-DSA

Anyone get down to low power, and then suddenly get a 10% warning followed immediately by a 7% warning followed immediately by the system losing power?

Also, the casing of my power cable is already coming apart from the tip that connects to the SP3. Should I ask Microsoft about replacing it for me?

Mine hasn't ran out of battery on me yet, but I could test it out soon and see if I get a similar issue.

I would get that power cable swapped out, for sure.

StudioTan

Yeah, this happens when playing games for me.

This is probably a fat chance, but does anyone know if you can get a Surface Pro 3 through financing? Like do they do that at the Microsoft store or anywhere?

Jeff-DSA

This is probably a fat chance, but does anyone know if you can get a Surface Pro 3 through financing? Like do they do that at the Microsoft store or anywhere?

You can do it at Best Buy on a same as cash sort of thing. I can't remember if it's 90 days no interest or longer, but it's at least that long.

aaaaa0

It's probably only me, but I'm slightly uncomfortable at how easily accessible the SD card is. It's probably just a psychological issue... if they can get to your machine and under its kickstand, they can away with the whole thing rather than just stealing your precious data... but SD cards being under a case or latch, etc. somehow feel more secure to me.

If you're worried about someone taking your SD card and stealing your data, you can turn on Bitlocker-To-Go on the SD card, which will encrypt the contents so they should be unreadable if the card is removed from the Surface.

TxdoHawk

Yesterday, Paul Thurrot published an article about the wear and tear of his Surface Pro 3 that he uses since the event back in April.

Of course, this is highly subjective and as he says "Seems normal to me, but your mileage will vary".

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-3-wear-and-tear

If he's throwing it in a bag right next to another Ultrabook, I'm gonna agree that he's not exactly babying the device. That's an interesting note on the Type Cover, too...I was going to go with cyan, maybe I'll do something darker then.

StudioTan

If he's throwing it in a bag right next to another Ultrabook, I'm gonna agree that he's not exactly babying the device. That's an interesting note on the Type Cover, too...I was going to go with cyan, maybe I'll do something darker then.

Go with something darker. I love the cyan cover but it did quickly start to darken along the ridges just like in his picture and that's with me babying it. I'm wishing I had gone with the dark purple instead.

Verge article about how Microsoft might Zune the Surface.

While Surface Pro 3 has been well received thanks to its many refinements, if it doesn’t sell well then it could be another Zune HD. Microsoft polished its Zune portable music player to the point where the Zune HD was a good product before the project was killed off as iPod sales dominated. Microsoft has made similar Zune-like mistakes with its Surface approach, but it appears to have nearly nailed the idea of a "productive tablet" with the Surface Pro 3. A strong international expansion this month suggests that Surface Pro 3 will be an intense area of focus for Microsoft’s tablet ambitions, but is it all too late?

Nadella has proven he’s willing to kill off projects that don’t fit with the new Microsoft and his attempts to change the core of the company. Microsoft may have acquired Nokia, but it’s killing off all of its feature phones in an effort to focus solely on Windows Phone at the low- and high-end. If the Surface Pro 3 isn’t successful in turning Microsoft’s Surface losses around, then it makes its existence a lot harder to justify, especially when Microsoft is no longer a "devices and services" company.

Based on nothing much, outside of some (by Computerworld) calculated loss of 1.7 billion dollar. But it does make a good headline.

Jeff-DSA

I don't see that. I think Microsoft has a longer term vision for the Surface Pro line, hoping to be the true next wave in computing. Think about it. If the Surface keeps getting lighter, thinner, and more powerful, why would you choose an ultrabook? I have an ultrabook and a SP3, but I only use the laptop when it's something that's just a bit out of reach of the SP3's power capabilities. When there's equal horsepower between the two, I'll never use a standard laptop again.

iPads and Nexus devices do not replace laptops quite yet. The SP3 does.

dLMN8R

It's weird that, in a world where a social networking company whose entire business model is selling ads buying an extremely simple instant messaging service with no ads that makes no money for $19 billion is seen as necessary, a massively successful company that's been around for decades risking a couple billion dollars on a hardware business that's consistently growing is seen as a bad decision.

StudioTan

I really hope they don't drop the Surface line. It still has some flaws but it's very close to being my perfect device and I (mostly) love the SP3 as it is. I want to see them keep iterating it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Verge article about how Microsoft might Zune the Surface.

Based on nothing much, outside of some (by Computerworld) calculated loss of 1.7 billion dollar. But it does make a good headline.

The Zune situation was a bit different. Zune was cancelled at a point in time when the trend was moving towards using smartphones for everything rather than having a stand alone music player. So, there were larger market trends in play. Also, the Zune offered nothing that its competitors didn't already offer - it was basically, "buy a Zune to play music instead of an iPod to play music".

I think the Surface Pro is really filling a niche that nothing else is adequately filling right now. Is that big enough to sustain it as a ongoing product? Maybe, maybe not.

Top Bottom