• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

SerTapTap

Microsoft added an App oddly enough called Surface Hub that lets you adjust pen sensitivity.

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/10/11/surface-pro-3-pen-control-app-now-available-for-download
amcvholkwbcguuxpflo9.gif

Hope that finally fixes people's wifi problems too. Haven't had 'em but they sound like a pain.

Hope that finally fixes people's wifi problems too. Haven't had 'em but they sound like a pain.
I'm starting to think my pen issue actually has to do with that. I did buy a 20-pack of AAAA batteries, but it--as of now--looks like my issue resolved itself, so now I have a bunch of batteries sitting around.

I have a Surface Pro question and someone said this would be a good thread to post in.

Basically I'm looking for a Windows laptop / tablet that I can use primarily for Photoshop work.

Some criteria:
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be taking an extended trip soon and it might be the right time to buy a laptop / tablet in order to be able to continue using Photoshop for an ongoing project.

My question is: What would be a good laptop or tablet to purchase specifically for Photoshop use?

Some criteria:
* Windows only
* Needs a good screen with accurate colors (non-technical way of describing this, I know). One thing I've noticed on some poorer screens is that if I'm looking at the top of the screen, the colors / brightness / contrast look different than if I'm looking at the bottom of the screen - I'd like to avoid that.
* Someone said what I'm looking for is an IPS panel - does the Surface Pro 3 have that?
* I work with images of up to 8192 x 8192 in resolution with multiple layers, so something that can handle that kind of usage without chugging would be ideal

Would the Surface Pro 3 meet my needs?

I tried everything and could never get that hub app to work. I keeps saying it can't detect the pen, yet the pen works fine. Tried deleting the app, refreshing the devices and reinstalling pen

Nero3000

I have a Surface Pro question and someone said this would be a good thread to post in.

Basically I'm looking for a Windows laptop / tablet that I can use primarily for Photoshop work.

Some criteria:
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be taking an extended trip soon and it might be the right time to buy a laptop / tablet in order to be able to continue using Photoshop for an ongoing project.

My question is: What would be a good laptop or tablet to purchase specifically for Photoshop use?

Some criteria:
* Windows only
* Needs a good screen with accurate colors (non-technical way of describing this, I know). One thing I've noticed on some poorer screens is that if I'm looking at the top of the screen, the colors / brightness / contrast look different than if I'm looking at the bottom of the screen - I'd like to avoid that.
* Someone said what I'm looking for is an IPS panel - does the Surface Pro 3 have that?
* I work with images of up to 8192 x 8192 in resolution with multiple layers, so something that can handle that kind of usage without chugging would be ideal

Would the Surface Pro 3 meet my needs?

Yes, especially with the new adobe updates, although the display may need calibration to get the best out of it.

Layd Dly

15532202686_3bc982b98d_b.jpg

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 8GB - 256gb SSD
Surface Dock, Type Cover 3 - Black, Arc Touch Mouse - Surface Edition

I can join in on the party now. Here is my new Surface Pro 3 which replaced my 5 Year old Dell E6510 work laptop.

I can join in on the party now. Here is my new Surface Pro 3 which replaced my 5 Year old Dell E6510 work laptop.
Holy moly you went all out eh? Awesome, I hope to join the party soon as well. How much did this cost all together?

Layd Dly

Holy moly you went all out eh? Awesome, I hope to join the party soon as well. How much did this cost all together?

With 3 Year Microsoft ADH warranty about $2K with shipping and tax. Our normal laptops run around $1500 with docks and warranties so it wasn't a super big jump. But we deployed a few previously and i wanted to be able to support them better so I got myself one.

So far it is an amazing device.

SerTapTap

Welcome to the club! How's that weird mouse? Wasn't very sold on the concept, already have a bluetooth travel mouse so I just use that with it.

dLMN8R

I have the Arc Mouse and I like it, but it's not super-accurate or anything - don't expect to play games comfortably with it for example. But for general web browsing, working with Excel, etc. it's great.

I love how when it's flat is when it's off. It's so simple but effective - if I want to carry it around in my pocket, then it automatically has to be off to do so.

With 3 Year Microsoft ADH warranty about $2K with shipping and tax. Our normal laptops run around $1500 with docks and warranties so it wasn't a super big jump. But we deployed a few previously and i wanted to be able to support them better so I got myself one.

I'm currently waiting for a super awesome deal to jump in. Some sick prices on Ebay but I don't want to be scammed lol. It will most likely be Black Friday/ Cyber Monday so I have to wait a bit longer.

Layd Dly

Welcome to the club! How's that weird mouse? Wasn't very sold on the concept, already have a bluetooth travel mouse so I just use that with it.

I love it so far, still getting used to it a bit. But being super mobile it is a perfect pairing. When you flatten it it also powers it off and then i can just slip it right into the tablet area of my backpack with my surface.

I would definitely vouch for one for work and everyday use. but like the other guy said not for gaming but i have a desktop for that.

SerTapTap

Not really a big stickler for stuff like this, but has anyone noticed how "shut down" power usage compares to just pressing the power button once? Wondering if it's worth a full shutdown (wired or not) or just let it "sleep" on it's own

aaaaa0

Not really a big stickler for stuff like this, but has anyone noticed how "shut down" power usage compares to just pressing the power button once? Wondering if it's worth a full shutdown (wired or not) or just let it "sleep" on it's own

Pressing the power button puts it into Connected Standby, like a cell phone. It keeps everything alive, including the network, but in a low power state. Like a cellphone, it should be able to stay like this for days before the battery drains.

I think the SP3 stays in Connected Standby for a few hours then goes into Hibernate (where everything is saved to the hard disk and then the system is turned off) after that.

Doing an actual Shutdown actually turns everything off right away.

SerTapTap

Pressing the power button puts it into Connected Standby, like a cell phone. It keeps everything alive, including the network, but in a low power state. Like a cellphone, it should be able to stay like this for days before the battery drains.

I think the SP3 stays in Connected Standby for a few hours then goes into Hibernate (where everything is saved to the hard disk and then the system is turned off) after that.

Doing an actual Shutdown actually turns everything off right away.

Yeah, I know all of that, just not sure how much actual difference it's making in power usage.

SerTapTap

Is this new? Chrome has a "relaunch in Windows 8 mode" now in the main menu I never noticed. Was hoping for something like that for Surface, touch controls seem a bit less iffy in it, but otherwise the actual UI is largely the same (actually wastes exactly as much vertical space as desktop chrome thanks to a chrome-OS style taskbar). Not exactly what I was hoping for, still stuck between the annoyances of Desktop Chrome and the lack of taskbar in Metro IE.

Is this new? Chrome has a "relaunch in Windows 8 mode" now in the main menu I never noticed. Was hoping for something like that for Surface, touch controls seem a bit less iffy in it, but otherwise the actual UI is largely the same (actually wastes exactly as much vertical space as desktop chrome thanks to a chrome-OS style taskbar). Not exactly what I was hoping for, still stuck between the annoyances of Desktop Chrome and the lack of taskbar in Metro IE.

I gave up on Chrome's "Windows 8 Mode" and just use Desktop mode. For one thing, "Windows 8 Mode" doesn't save your tabs when you quit and relaunch it, wtf Google

I gave up on Chrome's "Windows 8 Mode" and just use Desktop mode. For one thing, "Windows 8 Mode" doesn't save your tabs when you quit and relaunch it, wtf Google
I've read that Google is purposely gimping their apps on the Surface (And the Windows platform in general) or refuses to release some. That seems very silly if that were true. When I tried out the surface, I couldn't find an official Gmail app in the Windows store. Seriously Google?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I say god damn. I couldn't afford i7 :( enjoy

Even YouTube. Google is fucking horrible. Though MetroTube is better than official youtube app. So I am happy.

SerTapTap

I've read that Google is purposely gimping their apps on the Surface (And the Windows platform in general) or refuses to release some. That seems very silly if that were true. When I tried out the surface, I couldn't find the Gmail in the Windows store. Seriously Google?

It seems like they must be, I see no reason MS would hold back Google more than Apple does (Apple has more or less outright declared Google their mortal enemy) yet there's way more Google apps on iOS than Win 8. It's a shame because the very few Android apps I actually use are almost all from Google.

It seems like they must be, I see no reason MS would hold back Google more than Apple does (Apple has more or less outright declared Google their mortal enemy) yet there's way more Google apps on iOS than Win 8. It's a shame because the very few Android apps I actually use are almost all from Google.
Exactly. I guess Google is trying to steal some costumers from Apple's ecosystem since a lot of Google's apps offer smooth transitions from iOS. I guess Windows isn't worth the effort. And I'm a big Android fan. Maybe Google is upset about Bing?
Lol

valeo

'Wanted to support it better' is the excuse every IT professional uses to get new stuff :d

SerTapTap

Cracked the screen of my Pro 3. Am I screwed? Does anyone know Microsoft's repair fee's?

Talk to MS's support, they're pretty good. I got an easy free replacement but it was an obvious manufacturing defect not automatic damage. They'll tell you the price before charging you anything.

Some guy on Craigslist is offering a Brand New Surface Pro 3 i5 256GB 8GB RAM with a purple keyboard for $1050?

Is that a good price or should I try to haggle him down a bit?

I need a new laptop for school, but nothing too major. I really want the Pro 3 but price is a big concern. Should I just go ahead and purchase the Pro 2 instead?

SerTapTap

I need a new laptop for school, but nothing too major. I really want the Pro 3 but price is a big concern. Should I just go ahead and purchase the Pro 2 instead?

Unless you found a good deal, you don't really save anything by getting the lowest SP2 over the lowest SP3 and the i3 should be plenty for light productivity workloads. The SP3 is a much better laptop replacement in terms of general ergonomics. SP2 is more like a supercharged tablet that works best on a tablet with external KB/M.

How do you stop your computer from restarting to install updates? I just got a notification that my computer is going to restart itself in 15 minutes but I'm writing an essay and don't have time to install an update. Anyone know how to disable this from happening?

Unless you found a good deal, you don't really save anything by getting the lowest SP2 over the lowest SP3 and the i3 should be plenty for light productivity workloads. The SP3 is a much better laptop replacement in terms of general ergonomics. SP2 is more like a supercharged tablet that works best on a tablet with external KB/M.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm definitely interested in this. I'm hoping MS will drop the price a little around Black Friday or anytime during the holiday season.

SerTapTap

Anyone using a USB hub on this? MY dream one would be some sort of compact, non-external power one that can just hang off the existing USB port, no wires or anything. Not sure if any such hub exists though. I was thinking of making a video on my SP3 to test, but I need at least 2 USB ports (capture card + mic)

How do you stop your computer from restarting to install updates? I just got a notification that my computer is going to restart itself in 15 minutes but I'm writing an essay and don't have time to install an update. Anyone know how to disable this from happening?

Huh, I haven't seen that since Windows 8 (not .1), it just warns me that it'll be rebooted automatically in sleep mode in the next day or so. You can set it to auto download but not install I think, though I'd personally be wary of that as I don't trust myself to manually check and install regularly enough.

AnkitT

Anyone using a USB hub on this? MY dream one would be some sort of compact, non-external power one that can just hang off the existing USB port, no wires or anything. Not sure if any such hub exists though. I was thinking of making a video on my SP3 to test, but I need at least 2 USB ports (capture card + mic)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7AQXQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i personally dont use it(though i am also looking into buying it), but have seen this(or similar) solutions being recommended on various places. I remember seeing a usb3 hub with a similar "hang on" design but i cant seem to find it anymore.

edit: heres the usb3 hub http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWMP108/?tag=neogaf0e-20

SRTtoZ

The OT is pretty damn slow so I'm posting here just to vent. I bought a Surface 2 less than a year ago and I love the functionality and the quality feel of the item, but lately ive noticed some paint chipping around the edges of the device and also on the bottom where the keyboard plugs in. So I did an advanced warranty, they sent me a brand new one, I sent the other one back, got my new one, everything is good right? So as I get out of bed this morning, my surface is on my covers and starts sliding slowly towards my bed post, maybe about 6" or so, on a 40 degree angle, and hits into it. No big deal, ive had way worse falls with my iPads and especially with my iphone, dropping it on concrete etc. Anyway, I'm watching football today and I grab my surface and the touch screen isnt responding, so upon inspection I notice the corner of my surface 2 has a spider crack in it. Seriously? From a SLIGHT bang into my bedpost? I've owned so many devices, from iPads to every type of phone imaginable and never had a cracked screen. It was such a small impact I could never imagine a screen breaking from it. I just now purchased the extra warranty with accidental damage replacement because I know I'm going to have to replace this one and there is no way MS will send me a new one without the damage protection especially since I just sent back my last one so soon. In fact its not even done processing since they haven't received mine back yet, so I can't even process a claim yet until they receive it. Its not the end of the world since the device functions fine but in NO way am I going to accept a cracked screen on a brand new device from such a minor incident, especially with MS showing them dropping them on the ground saying 'ehhh, how bout that *smirk*'. I'm just annoyed, as I thought the build quality was REALLY good, until paint started chipping and now the easily cracked screen. Or maybe this is a sign to sell this fucking thing and jump on the Pro 3 bandwagon. SPEAK TO ME LORD.

SRTtoZ

You really replaced the first one over the paint? That's called giving the device personality and character!

haha yea I guess. I just didnt expect the paint to chip within 8 months of owning it, taking care of it all the time, ONLY using it in my house for movies/netflix/browsing. I'm so OCD with my electronics that I try to keep them in tip top shape so when I eventually upgrade I can ebay it for a great price, like ive done with every iPad and every phone.

SerTapTap

guys how do I disable virtual keyboard from popping up on chrome?

Best I can tell you can't. Chrome's...kinda shitty on it. Stops responding to mouse input sometimes too, which it doesn't do on my desktop.Really annoying.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7AQXQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i personally dont use it(though i am also looking into buying it), but have seen this(or similar) solutions being recommended on various places. I remember seeing a usb3 hub with a similar "hang on" design but i cant seem to find it anymore.

edit: heres the usb3 hub http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWMP108/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hrm, this is perfect form-factor-wise but sort of bare-minimum number of USB ports, I'd love the same thing with 4 USBs. Thanks though, might just buy, $25 isn't too bad and it would kinda work, just not very future-proof.

I was using the Amazon USB 3.0 hub, but I replaced that with the official dock. That's probably as close as you can get to an unobtrusive hub, I think.

SerTapTap

I was using the Amazon USB 3.0 hub, but I replaced that with the official dock. That's probably as close as you can get to an unobtrusive hub, I think.

That seems cool, but seems to be more targeted towards desktop replacement, pretty overkill for what I need now, and I couldn't leave it around either since I'd use the SP3 on my coffee table if I were recording

So I think the previous Firmware update semi-fixed my wifi issues. They still happen, but not every time I wake up the Surface from sleep like it used to do.

hwalker84

Got my Surface Pro 3 back yesterday. It looks like a brand new replacement. If it's a refurb I'll be shocked. Restore worked great from Onedrive but my Home screen got wacky since it was set to sync with Onedrive. I forgot to turn that off for a few of my Win 8 machines. Since each machine has a different purpose i don't like them syncing. Oh well lesson learned.

SerTapTap

Got my Surface Pro 3 back yesterday. It looks like a brand new replacement. If it's a refurb I'll be shocked. Restore worked great from Onedrive but my Home screen got wacky since it was set to sync with Onedrive. I forgot to turn that off for a few of my Win 8 machines. Since each machine has a different purpose i don't like them syncing. Oh well lesson learned.

You can disable syncing that even after you've restored. One Drive features are really pretty sweet, shame they cant' do "desktop" settings though, the actual win 8 settings don't help me out all that much.

Wish they had a smarter desktop sync thing, it kept trying to sync my single screen SP3 and 3 monitor desktop as if I'd want the same desktop background on both. Didn't see an option to back up but keep them separate so I just turned off background syncing.

Top Bottom