• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2

xexex

Banned
maybe Sony will be planning a third version of PS3 :D there're already at least 2 versions of PS3 admitted to.

and perhaps Nintendo will be more agressive with Revolution in the same way.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
They shouldn't have 3 versions. They should have a $300 Xenon base unit at launch, with a $100 option that gives the base unit a HD, BC & other features for those who want it. And later, they could release this "Xenon PC" or whatever with all those features & more.

Just when I think Xenon might do better than I originally thought, then suddenly there's these rumors about 3 different versions to confuse and astrange gamers even further...not good if they go through with it.

I kind of figured that this is where the industry is headed, or at least where Sony and Microsoft want it to go.

It's kind of interesting, after all that, Microsoft may end up essentially making PCs themselves now.

The ironic thing too is, IBM could be a player again now in the PC market by virtue of MS choosing them for Xenon (buy bye to the Intel Inside stuff).

A Nintendo/Apple/Matsushita platform in the same vein might be interesting.

Microsoft doesn't care about market segments though. They want everyone with Windows.

The living room was the next big battlefield, XBox 2 is only a means to an end.

They're not losing hundreds of millions of dollars just for fun.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Nintendo was suppossedly in talks with Hitachi, NEC & some other company about creating a hardware licensing scheme where electronics companies could make thier own system that played Nintendo games...this was a plan for "next generation", but I dunno if this is even a consideration now.

Sony wants to do hardware licensing, but unfourtunatly, they don't have enough of the market yet to create a "PlayStation consortium" forum...Microsoft is thier biggest obstical there.

MS originally wanted to make thier own like TV/PC's, but GateWay, Dell, HP & other PC makers had a problem with that. I mean, why package Window's OS's in with thier PC's, if MS was going to make PC's that would dirrectly compete and possible undermind them? So then after WebTV & Ultimate TV, MS went for console gaming as a "way in". They've recently started up a new Windows Media Center box for TV's too & with XNA MS has invested alot into bringing PC & TV's together and has alot of ways to make it happen.

dose

I think one of the main problems with doing this kind of thing is that if people/consumers know that an updated version is coming at month X/year Y, then they'll hold on for that model, meaning the first iteration won't sell as well. This in turn could mean that the competition (eg., Sony/Nintendo) get to sell more hardware and so get more developer support.

Top Bottom