• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts GT4 killer running at 20fps ... lol!

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Heres the best part

controlling the car recreates the experience as if it were 180 frames per second.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Hahaha... that's not the first time they've come up with such an excuse either.

And now the reason for those "the game feels so slow" and "but it's a sim loser LALALALAL I CAN'T HEAR YOU XBOX HATER" comments becomes evident.

McFly

Bill: "Make the game look good on screenshots ... everything else is secondary!"
Developer: "Ok, is a 20fps game ok?"
Bill: "I just want better screenshots then GT4 for the marketing campaign!"
Developer: "Ok, you're the boss."

;)

Fredi

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
laugh.gif

SyNapSe

haha 20 fps!? That must be a typo for 30.. wtf is with the part about it looking like 180 FPS? lol

Also, I love how people use Bill Gates for all MS references. As if he's in a secret cave somewhere approving and disapproving every single thing done at MS.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
its gotta be a typo. They meant 30fps. But that 180 fps comment is really retarded.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
olubode said:
its gotta be a typo. They meant 30fps. But that 180 fps comment is really retarded.

Is that like how windchill factor makes it feel colder than it really is, except it's the "X-Factor" upping the FPS.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Why is the "Hands-On: Forza Motorsport" basically an interview with Microsoft's product manager? The article quotes or refferences him ten times.

Mustang

Banned
I COULD live with a rock solid 30 FPS but 20 just blows chunks.

Has to be a typo. I am sure I read somewhere that it was 30 FPS and I also read in a magazine about that 180 FPS controller hogwash.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Haha, that's probably a typo, though. THey must have meant 30FPS. Then again, people playing it have also been quoted saying that it's not even steady 30FPS, so 20 might be an average! ;)

Joking aside, keep in mind that in Europe, the game will run at 25FPS on a regular PAL TV. Maybe that's what he meant.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Chittagong said:
180 fps... reminds me kind of

speedmyth.jpg

I'm a little confused...wouldn't the 180 fps apply more to blast processing than response in Nintendo's ad?

pj

Banned
Mustang said:
I also read in a magazine about that 180 FPS controller hogwash.

Why would it be hogwash? It's not implausible that they could poll the controller 3x more often than a regular game.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
pj325is said:
Why would it be hogwash? It's not implausible that they could poll the controller 3x more often than a regular game.
Your kidding right? The system has problems keeping the visuals upto a 60 fps frame rate that should be mandatory (imo) for all racers/3d fighters. So now its going to request data from the controller 6 times per frame (180 / 30 = 6 btw). What would be the purpose of doing this? Its not going to be generated on screen,.

McFly

Oversampling the physic engine is pretty normal ... my last Flash game had a framerate of 12fps and the physic engine was oversampled ten times (120fps) ... note, that was a Flash game, not a very fast technology. If he's talking about the physic framerate, then it's even less of an excuse. I'm sure GT4 has the physic engine oversampled many times, either ... like most other games with a physic engines I would guess.

Fredi

Chittagong

Gold Member
olubode said:
I'm a little confused...wouldn't the 180 fps apply more to blast processing than response in Nintendo's ad?

yes. 180 fps on Xbox is the Blast Processing of the 21st century. that was just the only pic I could find. not many blast processing images made it to the new millenium :(

Phoenix

olubode said:
Your kidding right? The system has problems keeping the visuals upto a 60 fps frame rate that should be mandatory (imo) for all racers/3d fighters. So now its going to request data from the controller 6 times per frame (180 / 30 = 6 btw).

Since the input controller is not the GPU you can poll it as often as your input gathering thread will allow you.

What would be the purpose of doing this? Its not going to be generated on screen,.

Depends on how you're blending the input values together from the input queue. Polling at a rate higher than the framerate is done in other places - many optical mice and other game controllers for the PC interrupt faster than the game is running.

Polling once per frame is what many cellphone games do and it shows because you're only getting the keystate at the instant that the frame poll happens. So if you press a button and release it and its not down when the poll happens, that even is effectively lost. Most modern games and newer cellphone games get their data from an input queue of events so that no data is lost. This results in a smoother response when the events that were gathered when that frame is rendered are blended together.

Hotsuma

"The truth is you could put Sonic on Super Nintendo and have him move just as fast!"

Really? Then how come games like Gradius 3, the SNES version of Thunder Force, Super R-Type, and some of the Madden games moved like slide shows at times? Honestly, did the Genesis have a faster processor or not?

jarrod

Banned
Hotsuma said:
Really? Then how come games like Gradius 3, the SNES version of Thunder Force, Super R-Type, and some of the Madden games moved like slide shows at times? Honestly, did the Genesis have a faster processor or not?
Yes it did for CPUs (though SNES had the faster sound chip iirc), but Sonic really could've been done on SNES regardless. A few launch era shooters and Madden don't really make for a good sampling of a console's abilities...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
jarrod said:
Yes it did for CPUs (though SNES had the faster sound chip iirc), but Sonic really could've been done on SNES regardless. A few launch era shooters and Madden don't really make for a good sampling of a console's abilities...

Just face it, Genesis does what Nintendon't.

Mario Kart= TEH SLOWWWW.

Ryck

Actually, I have that interview im looking at it right now (this months xbn) they say 30 fps very clearly in the interview.

Tellaerin

God's Hand said:
No they didn't, idiot.

Oh, so prerendered graphics really were a supersecret Nintendo development that could only be implemented on the SNES? :p That's what they tried to imply with the whole ACM thing, IIRC.

Shompola

Banned
jarrod said:

Are you playing the guessing game or something? It would be nice if you elaborated further of why you think it could be done as the other guy has given you numerous examples of why it wouldn't be an easy task at all.

Tenkei

Shompola, apparently a bunch of hackers got Sonic to work on the SNES to prove that it could be done. The ROM is floating around somewhere, no doubt.

Edit: Never mind, apparently it was a sprite hack for another game.

Shinobi

Why do people keep confusing a game's framerate with a game's sensation of speed? F355 and GT3 are pretty damn slow despite being 30fps. Le Mans on DC is just 30fps but absolutely smokes those two games for sensation of speed. Hell, Sega Touring Car on the Saturn is still one of the fastest conventional racers in existance, and that game was lucky to move at 20fps. One has little to do with the other...about time people understood that simple fact.

As for the whole blast processing thing, I'd say N64's ridiculous overhype by the big N ("IT'S THE FIRST REAL 3D SYSTEM EVAR!!!11) more then equaled it.

Top Bottom