• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway updates Arcade Treasures 2 games list, boxart

Why on earth would they skip MK1 and release the games out of order?
What a dirty way to force people to buy the Mortal Kombat Deception disc.

MK1 was the game I was most looking forward to, and I want nothing to do with Deception.

Has an MK Anthology actually been annouced? I'd hate to hate to rebuy MK2-3 because I still want this collection.

Well, MK1's absence is saddening. With that said, I really fucking hope they bring out an MK Anthology soon.. and that includes each revision for the arcade versions as well. :D

Anyanka

No MK anthology has been announced. It hasn't even been brought up in the MK community. The ONLY mention of it I've seen is in this thread.

And yes, they need all the revisions. I'd especially like to see that for MK4, since there's no way to play the road tour version or rev 1 via emulation. I'd also really like to check out the Wavenet revision of UMK3.

Anyanka said:
No MK anthology has been announced. It hasn't even been brought up in the MK community. The ONLY mention of it I've seen is in this thread.

And yes, they need all the revisions. I'd especially like to see that for MK4, since there's no way to play the road tour version or rev 1 via emulation. I'd also really like to check out the Wavenet revision of UMK3.
I'll admit to not knowing hardly anything about the seperate revisions, so would you happen to know of a site that states the differences between the things you mentioned, for example?

Anyanka

I don't know of any sites. Some FAQs include revision lists though.

I can tell you just off the top of my head though.

Wavenet UMK3 was a special version of UMK3 that never made it past testing in Chicago. It was networked and allowed you to play against other people at other arcades. The big difference was that Noob Saibot was playable.

Road Tour MK4 was a very early version they showed off at various cities a few months before release. Only 9 characters were playable, including Noob, who was removed(replaced by Reiko) by the time the game was completed.

Anyanka said:
I don't know of any sites. Some FAQs include revision lists though.

I can tell you just off the top of my head though.

Wavenet UMK3 was a special version of UMK3 that never made it past testing in Chicago. It was networked and allowed you to play against other people at other arcades. The big difference was that Noob Saibot was playable.

Road Tour MK4 was a very early version they showed off at various cities a few months before release. Only 9 characters were playable, including Noob, who was removed(replaced by Reiko) by the time the game was completed.
Sounds pretty interesting, thanks. I'd so love to get a nice collection of MKs. Emphasis on NICE

Anyanka

Probably the most famous(and best) thing about old revisions was that in MK II 2.1 you could attack the baby after a Babality! There's all kinds of funny glitches you can do with it, including fatalities.

There's been some freeplay glitches in MK3 and UMK3 too.

Hellraizah

Seriously, you will all tell me that Mortal Kombat was so good to begin with. Face it, that game was crap.

Mortal Kombat 2 is where it's at. I don't give a fuck about the first one, as long as I got arcade perfect MK2, it's well worth the money.

Hellraizah said:
Seriously, you will all tell me that Mortal Kombat was so good to begin with. Face it, that game was crap.

Mortal Kombat 2 is where it's at. I don't give a fuck about the first one, as long as I got arcade perfect MK2, it's well worth the money.
sounds pretty selfish to say the compilation because the games YOU want are in still it....

Maybe some of you should visit Ebay,or even your local mall and search for the DreamCasts's Mortal Kombat Gold. It has MK1-3 on there. The disk sells for 5 bucks,if you can find it though.

T-1000_Model3 said:
Maybe some of you should visit Ebay,or even your local mall and search for the DreamCasts's Mortal Kombat Gold. It has MK1-3 on there. The disk sells for 5 bucks,if you can find it though.
because if you read it on the internet, it must be true...

actually, i have the HOT! NEW! mkgold

T-1000_Model3 said:
mortal kombat gold has MK1-3 on it?!?!

didnt think so

DyersEve

MK and MK2 are in no way similar besides the fact that they have some of the same chracters. MK2 surrpasses all the other MK's.

Anyanka

Uh, MK and MK II are in no way similar? Are you high off nostalgia or something because that's an insane thing to say. The games have the exact same control scheme. They practically have the same mechanics. MK II took MK and doubled the content and speed it up. It is a lot better, but I don't see how anyone could possibly argue that it's not similar to MK1.

As far as MK sequels go MK II's gameplay is the closest to it's predecessor than any other.

Ristamar

MK II plays one hundred times better than the first. It's still not as tight as any given Street Fighter II/III/Alpha title, but it shits all over the original. I hated MK I, but enjoyed MK II.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Anyanka said:
If MK is crap why do you like II? They're very similar.

Hmm, I'll have to disagree. The margin of improvement in controls, animation, and new characters makes MKII virtually a whole new game from I.

Top Bottom