• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic Heroes VI |OT| give us town screens back

V_Arnold

lordy88 said:
I definitely agree, but No Black Dragons? No Titans? I do not approve.

But yeah, I really REALLY hope that the inevitable expansion has 2 factions instead of one. So we can get both of those critical units back into factions. This game is a great start, but needs a lot of additions to really make it excel unfortunately. But I love the potential, and if they pull it off, it will be played for a LONG time.

One last thing I'd like to mention. I haven't soaked a lot time so far into the game, but it seems from all the videos/impressions etc. I've taken a look at that the maps themselves lack a lot of the extra little buildings that added flavor to each area. Examples include Leprechaun patches, Seer Huts, Single Unit Dwellings, Neutral Dwellings, Water mills, etc. It just seems a bit barren. That's not a good sign.

Luckily, that is the easiest thing to fix. Easier than adding a new town, that is for sure.

Tizoc

I quickly skimmed through the OP which is very good and informative and...if i ever pick up this game I'll prob. choose The humans, the other factions are kind of creepy....

nickcv

Tizoc said:
I quickly skimmed through the OP which is very good and informative and...if i ever pick up this game I'll prob. choose The humans, the other factions are kind of creepy....

i can understand Necropolis and Inferno kinda like look creepy... but sanctuary and stronghold are not that bad!

Tizoc

nickcv said:
i can understand Necropolis and Inferno kinda like look creepy... but sanctuary and stronghold are not that bad!
I guess you're right about Sanctuary, but I dunno about Stronghold lol.

NEO0MJ

V_Arnold said:
I have to say, the dragons as best units for almost all races was quite a bit dumb. Mostly because it is boring design. Yeah, colors are different. Yeah, black is strongest, followed by Gold. yeah, they shoot 2 units at the same time. Yeah, they are hard to get. And that is about it.

More variety > dragons, imho.

But the Black dragon is such an essential unit in this series. Plus I miss the Zombie dragon, was my fav unit in the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
V_Arnold said:
I have to say, the dragons as best units for almost all races was quite a bit dumb. Mostly because it is boring design. Yeah, colors are different. Yeah, black is strongest, followed by Gold. yeah, they shoot 2 units at the same time. Yeah, they are hard to get. And that is about it.

More variety > dragons, imho.

Inferno had devils, Castle had Angels, Tower had Titans, Fortress had Hydras, Stronghold had Behemoths / Cyclops. It was a bit more varied than how you make it sound. The Dungeon's black dragons were immune to spells, others, such as the Rampart's Gold Dragons, not so much. Necropolis's Ghost dragons had the aging effect. Then there was a whole bunch of neutral dragons, the fairy dragons had random magic, rust dragons, crystal dragons that had no breath attack, and the azure dragon w/ its fear ability. Phoenix had rebirth, Magma Dragons couldn't fly. They were actually pretty well varied.

V_Arnold

Minsc said:
Inferno had devils, Castle had Angels, Tower had Titans, Fortress had Hydras, Stronghold had Behemoths / Cyclops. It was a bit more varied than how you make it sound. The Dungeon's black dragons were immune to spells, others, such as the Rampart's Gold Dragons, not so much. Necropolis's Ghost dragons had the aging effect. Then there was a whole bunch of neutral dragons, the fairy dragons had random magic, rust dragons, crystal dragons that had no breath attack, and the azure dragon w/ its fear ability. Phoenix had rebirth, Magma Dragons couldn't fly. They were actually pretty well varied.

I know that. But what it ultimately came down was that 3 towns (Black, Gold, Ghost) had the same main attack-type creature (2 unit breath, plus one additional stuff), with adding Phoenix in the fray since other than the resurrection (which was useless anyway, you should not be losing all of them in a fight, that is not what they are good for), it behaved like a Dragon: 2 unit breath, and huge size. The others wished they had a dragon instead, because Behemoth or Hydra was just not cutting it in the long run - with the exception of godlike upgraded Giants, the Titans.

nickcv said:
Thanks a lot! ^^

i've been thinking about that but i didn't want to get too technical
It'd make this thread my go-to place for information, there's no good way to compare all that stuff in-game. :<

Just a thought! My two cents.

Throwing it out there.

Dyno

V_Arnold said:
You say "creepy", I say original. And humans will be the last I will touch, lol :D

StoppedInTracks said:
The art is impeccable as always with Heroes games but the monsters have such a weird names...

All of it is a D&D rehash mash-up. Those nagas have all kinds of slaad and yuan-ti in them. Necropolis is taking from Llolth and the drow in a big way. The infernal looking faction is old school Demon Types.

Taborcarn

I haven't played a HoMM game since 2. I used to play multiplayer in that by dialing my modem directly to my friend's house. Good times. I might check this out.

Bisonian

Whelp, I wanted to like this game but here's a list of the bugs I've encountered so far:

The blinking cursor bug, which humorously just got patched by Steam when I exited the game a few minutes ago. It's the only thing the patch fixed. Hooray?

My hotkeys (like [W]ait and [D]efend in combat) just stop working randomly. I have no idea what causes it.

The map will stop scrolling sometimes when you save and/or load in game. This includes both pushing the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen and trying to use the arrow keys. I have found that saving your game, exiting all the way out (including the Ubi Launcher), and re-loading from desktop will fix this problem however! What a pain in the ass.

Finally, I just had nearly 2 hours of an Undead campaign map wiped out when I returned to town to find that the number of creatures I had able to recruit were somewhere between -55000 and -35000 across the board. Those are indeed negatives. Helpfully every week it took 20 or so off those numbers, I could probably beat the map if I waited a few centuries in game time. Unfortunately I had no saves that went back far enough to before the problem, and no idea what caused it.

I may be sounding a bit whiny, especially when I know there's no one to blame for myself for paying full price for a day 1 Ubisoft PC game. I have loved HoMM since the new age computing version of King's Bounty and I was weak! I was frail! Mostly, I'm an idiot.

Here's hoping I just saved someone else some money.

nickcv

Bisonian said:
Whelp, I wanted to like this game but here's a list of the bugs I've encountered so far:

The blinking cursor bug, which humorously just got patched by Steam when I exited the game a few minutes ago. It's the only thing the patch fixed. Hooray?

My hotkeys (like [W]ait and [D]efend in combat) just stop working randomly. I have no idea what causes it.

The map will stop scrolling sometimes when you save and/or load in game. This includes both pushing the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen and trying to use the arrow keys. I have found that saving your game, exiting all the way out (including the Ubi Launcher), and re-loading from desktop will fix this problem however! What a pain in the ass.

Finally, I just had nearly 2 hours of an Undead campaign map wiped out when I returned to town to find that the number of creatures I had able to recruit were somewhere between -55000 and -35000 across the board. Those are indeed negatives. Helpfully every week it took 20 or so off those numbers, I could probably beat the map if I waited a few centuries in game time. Unfortunately I had no saves that went back far enough to before the problem, and no idea what caused it.

I may be sounding a bit whiny, especially when I know there's no one to blame for myself for paying full price for a day 1 Ubisoft PC game. I have loved HoMM since the new age computing version of King's Bounty and I was weak! I was frail! Mostly, I'm an idiot.

Here's hoping I just saved someone else some money.

all of those bugs were in beta too unfortunately.

i had experienced the map-wont-scroll bug many times during the beta.

fortunately it didn't occur yet to me now that is released.
we just have to hope that they will patch all that stuff asap.

lordy88

Bisonian said:

This is an issue that is caused by "The Week of the Plague". They are aware of it, and hopefully it will be corrected soon.

I'm with you though, they do have a lot of fixing left to do. However, once all it comes through, I have a lot faith that this will be an amazing addition to the HoMM legacy. I'll just have to wait til it gets a great discount during a Steam Sale.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
tried the demo, it's fantastic. Will buy after I spend 100 hours in Age of Wonders.

Beepos

Just downloaded a steam patch that fixed the flashing cursor issue! Can finally get stuck into the game without having a seizure.

So bugs that where in that "very old" build demo are still there in the release? How impressive. I encountered that scrolling bug for example in the demo.

Does not really speak well for any future patch that they still have not been fixed I have to say.

larvi

PuppetSlave said:
So bugs that where in that "very old" build demo are still there in the release? How impressive. I encountered that scrolling bug for example in the demo.

Does not really speak well for any future patch that they still have not been fixed I have to say.

They probably used all of their development resources on the DRM coding and debugging. That's more important to UBI than the actual game.

Bisonian

lordy88 said:
I'm with you though, they do have a lot of fixing left to do. However, once all it comes through, I have a lot faith that this will be an amazing addition to the HoMM legacy. I'll just have to wait til it gets a great discount during a Steam Sale.

Yeah, I was really enjoying the game but it's just too frustrating to play right now. I remember having a week of the plague in the game I was in so that's definitely the problem. Does that mean that if plague comes up randomly your game is just shot? Unbelieveable.

nickcv

Bisonian said:
Yeah, I was really enjoying the game but it's just too frustrating to play right now. I remember having a week of the plague in the game I was in so that's definitely the problem. Does that mean that if plague comes up randomly your game is just shot? Unbelieveable.

you just have to reload the game before the plague week and you are done...

anyhow there were several other issues in the beta, and those fortunately were fixed...
tonight i'll update the op with the change log of each update

It's ridiculous I'm still getting the scrolling bug in the retail release. It was an obvious and common issue in the beta that made the player restart the whole fucking game to fix it. How do you not put a couple guys to work on that for a day...

Nice to hear that this turned out well. I'll pick it up on a steam sale since I have a huge backlog and I haven't even started HoMM5 or Kings Bounty Armored Princess/Crossworlds and I'm in the middle of Age of Wonders: Shadow magic
Gyoru said:
Here's an unofficial hotfix for the blinking mouse problem in v1.1 of HoMM6:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4611096804/m/7481019359

It changes the FPS limit from 60 to 59, which prevents the blinking mouse cursor issue.
Wait, there's 60 fps limit? Ugh, I want to play at 120fps. Or is the game very demanding?

masterkajo

Heavy said:
It's ridiculous I'm still getting the scrolling bug in the retail release. It was an obvious and common issue in the beta that made the player restart the whole fucking game to fix it. How do you not put a couple guys to work on that for a day...
That is not acceptable. I played the demo for quite some time now (still not sure if I want to buy at full price since I will mainly play solo... maybe I cave when my brother visits for hot seat^^) and I got this bug more times than I would have liked. Hope they fix that soon.

Shepard

Playing it too, it's really good. I remember when somebody made a thread a while back saying how good this game was, and I agree with everything he said. I'm only 5 hours in, the only thing that I don't like is that sometimes, among dozens of dozens of easy enemies there's one that are some which are hard as hell, and they still appear as 'low' risk in the map. :\ Other thing is the lack of AA, I mean, I'm using that FXAA thing but I didn't notice too much difference, looks still jaggy to me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Shepard said:
Playing it too, it's really good. I remember when somebody made a thread a while back saying how good this game was, and I agree with everything he said. I'm only 5 hours in, the only thing that I don't like is that sometimes, among dozens of dozens of easy enemies there's one that are some which are hard as hell, and they still appear as 'low' risk in the map. :\ Other thing is the lack of AA, I mean, I'm using that FXAA thing but I didn't notice too much difference, looks still jaggy to me.

Make sure you use the DX9 FXAA. It's *very* noticeable when it's working.

nickcv

Vhalyar said:
Just bought the game from Steam and... it won't go beyond the loading screen. Wonderful.

if you get stuck at the splash screen you need to check the game integrity and close and re-open steam... if you had installed the demo or the beta make sure you uninstall it before installing the full game.

if you get stuck with the black screen is a gpu driver issue... try updating them.

Vhalyar

nickcv said:
if you get stuck at the splash screen you need to check the game integrity and close and re-open steam... if you had installed the demo or the beta make sure you uninstall it before installing the full game.

It was the splash screen, yeah. Demo was uninstalled and checking for integrity did nothing, but after browsing for a solution I came up on one that said to add MMH6 to the Data Execution Prevention list and that made the game run like a charm.

Beyond that I have not encountered a single one of the bugs that people keep talking about, so I'm rather happy about that. I got started on the Sanctuary campaign, pretty fun (and campy)

Quixzlizx

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
Nice to hear that this turned out well. I'll pick it up on a steam sale since I have a huge backlog and I haven't even started HoMM5 or Kings Bounty Armored Princess/Crossworlds and I'm in the middle of Age of Wonders: Shadow magic

Sorry to derail, but are you playing AoW:SM on W7-64? It just instantly crashes whenever I try to play it, regardless of graphical settings or compatibility modes.

I was going to scream bloody murder about a 7.8 absolutely destroying the Metacritic average, but much to my chagrin, it's only got a 76 right now. Ergo, the 7.8 would have brought it up slightly.

Poor Black Hole Games. A 76? Not only is Ubisoft not going to hand out bonuses for that kind of score, but I bet they're even going to demand a partial refund of the salaries already paid to the developers.

well, HOMM5 got a 77 on MC, and the expansions got a 66 and 70 for Hammers of Fate and Tribes of the East, respectively. it could be considered on par with prior entries, which is to say that it's not "knocked out of the ballpark" awesome, but it's a respectable score.

Kalnos

Banned
Sinatar said:
Nah they just didn't get paid off at all, so they scale the score back to give their higher scores more value to potential advertisers.

I thought you two were the same poster for a second. I don't see how the game deserves anything more than a 7.8 though, it's worse than that honestly.

wrowa

I wasted the last several days with playing HoMM3 online with my girlfriend <3 Fun times!

Yeah, 3. I'm not sure whether or not I ever played a later game of the series to be honest. 3 was damn good, though.

Boken

Banned
This game is ok. Some of the characterisations make me cringe and others make me rofl (not out of appreciation).

It's a good Heroes game though.

Victrix

*beard*
The concept art for those factions looks amazing but...

Is the demo representative of the final?

My interest in HoMM has ever been skirmish maps, and since the map making scene is uh... not quite as vibrant as it was back in the day, I didn't enjoy HoMM5 as much.

Wiktor

StoppedInTracks said:
The art is impeccable as always with Heroes games but the monsters have such a weird names...
Personally I think this is the first Heroes with actually good art. I loved HoMM 1-3 (heck..even liked 4), but the all had IMO a terribly ugly art). HoMM V was nice to look at, but it looked like lifted straight from Warcraft. Heroes VI goes for more realistic/darker style and it's so obviously BlackHole. I'm loving it.

nasos_333

Sadly i had to cencel my pre-order after i played the demo

The missing town screens and the very simplistic reqruit method totally put me off the game

As a Heroes veteran, with almost all editions of the games, i cant simply accept such a loss of the charm of recruiting from a proper city and dens, that was one the major things that made Heroes so special to me

Also i read developers are thinking of introducing real cities in future, so i will simply wait it out and get the game then, maybe a re-released version with towns patch included in the disks, would be the most desirable, maybe along with an expansion

And Dragons are really missing imo, i agree that in Heroes 5 they were a bit too similar in looks, but in Heroes 3 they were trully epic, the Azure, Rust, Crustal, Fairy dragons especially stood out completly

Kinan

nickcv said:
i'll change those separator images i swear XD

can just use this:

2ijgswi.jpg

Top Bottom