• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MillerCoors trying to lure spirits fans with bourbon-like lager brew Miller Fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-27/millercoors-seeks-spirits-fans-with-bourbon-like-lager.html

At MillerCoors LLC headquarters in Chicago, brewmaster Manny Manuele pulls a black bottle of the company’s newest beer from an icy bucket.

He pops the cap with a showy reverence honed by countless tastings during a 35-year career. This time, rather than tilt the brew into a tall pint glass, he pours the amber brew into a stubby rocks glass usually reserved for whiskey neat.

If MillerCoors has its way, bartenders across the U.S. will repeat Manuele’s ritual after it unveils the beer, Miller Fortune, over the next two months. The brew, with a more malty, complex flavor hinting at bourbon, will be distributed wider and faster than any MillerCoors’ introduction since the Molson Coors Brewing Co. and SABMiller Plc joint venture formed in 2008.

The rocks glass is intended to set Miller Fortune apart the same way the orange slice has made Blue Moon one of the company’s fastest-growing brews and its answer to the craft-beer juggernaut. Miller Fortune is the most overt expression yet of the $30 billion beer industry’s preoccupation with spirits makers that have relentlessly siphoned off young drinkers, taking 6 percentage points of market share from suds since 1999.

“We asked, ’How would Jack Daniels or Maker’s Mark do a beer and why?’” said David Kroll, who was brought to MillerCoors from Dyson in 2012 to shake things up as its head of innovation. “We tortured every aspect to say, ’Are we falling back on what beer would do?’ Because this brand is intended to play in a spirits occasion.”

One obvious way to compete with liquor is to boost the alcohol content, in Fortune’s case to 6.9 percent.
That compares with 4 percent to 5 percent for most regular beers, while less than many crafts.

Cascade Hops

The other way is taste. Fortune is a golden lager brewed in part with Cascade hops to give it a citrusy bite and caramel malt to impart an amber hue. Bloomberg got an exclusive early tasting. Developed with guys aged 21 to 27 in mind, the flavor is moderately bitter with hints of sweetness, resting somewhere between a craft beer and a light lager. The flavors will emerge even more as the rocks glass warms in the hand, Manuele said.

“They are going to hold a beer glass in a way they haven’t held a beer glass before,” he said.

“Let’s be proud to be a beer, but if another beer is doing it, then let’s not,” said Ben Feeney, Fortune’s brand manager. “If a spirit’s doing it, let’s consider it.”

At times, that was easier said than done. Feeney himself argued initially that the marketing benefit of the unique shape might not justify the additional molding complexity and costs. He changed his mind after tests showed that bartenders and consumers overwhelmingly said the bottle stood out in a crowd.

Equally unusual is Miller Fortune’s jet-black bottle, achieved with a second oven heating. The label is black, too, and accented with battleship gray. A bright red scripted “M” for Miller provides a single splash of color.

Members of MillerCoors’s senior leadership team questioned the black-on-black label
, which almost disappears into the bottle, especially in a dark bar. Conventional beer marketing wisdom holds that bright, flashy labels are the way to get attention in a bar and on the shelf, Feeney said.

“The lack of overt branding on this brand is the branding,” Kroll said.

8iqbD0i.jpg

Sanjuro

I'll give it a swig. Certainly looks better than all that trash Budweiser has been throwing against the wall the last several years.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Macrobrew marketing is so fucking stupid sometimes. It works though, a lot of people actually thing Stella is a good beer because you drink it out of a fancy glass.

Chris R

Still have no idea why I'd drink this over something a microbrewery/craft/local would produce, and why it needs to be poured into the tumbler...

Not being a beer snob or anything

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Still have no idea why I'd drink this over something a microbrewery/craft/local would produce, and why it needs to be poured into the tumbler...

Not being a beer snob or anything

You're not being a beer snob, you're using common sense.

MrGerbils

Macrobrew marketing is so fucking stupid sometimes. It works though, a lot of people actually thing Stella is a good beer because you drink it out of a fancy glass.

Taste is by definition subjective. If a person enjoys drinking something then that is enough; it doesn't matter why. I genuinely enjoy the taste of Bud Light because it takes me back to memories of drinking with my dad on the porch back in Texas. If someone else likes a fancy glass then who the hell cares? It doesn't make you better then them.

There's no such thing as objectively good and bad beers. You can't run it through scientific tests to determine what is a "better" flavor. Taste is taste.

There's nothing worse than elitist hipster beer snobs and Los Angeles 'foodies.' Get over yourself and let people enjoy what they like without having to put them down to make yourself feel superior based on what carbonated alcohol you happen to choose to get drunk off.

This better not be like Black Crown crap I had last year. Don't know about drinking from a rocks glass.

My friend works for Bud, and when that and Platinum came out he gave me a couple of cases. Crown I think is better than regular Bud, but good lord, Platinum is some foul shit. Tastes like they poured Keystone into a bottle they think looks good in a club setting.

I've had some American Belgium style beers that were aged in bourbon casks. I'm curious if it's this subtle or if the bourbon will be more, "in your face"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
6.9% is supposed to be bourbon like? That's just a relatively strong traditional bock, not even a doppelbock.

Semi-ironically, I'm posting this while drinking a Bourbon County Stout, a 15.3% bourbon-barrel aged imperial stout.

Mindlog

I like the bottle.
If I homebrewed I'd be tempted to pick a few up. Pretty slick packaging.

Odds Miller decides to screw cap? They have this marketing schtick, but that's one of those little details...

Shit I really need to start homebrewing.

Dartastic

Oh so they're making a real beer? That's cool bro. I'll just continue to drink stuff that isn't this beer and is actually delicious.

iamblades

6.9% is supposed to be bourbon like? That's just a relatively strong traditional bock, not even a doppelbock.

Semi-ironically, I'm posting this while drinking a Bourbon County Stout, a 15.3% bourbon-barrel aged imperial stout.

Sam Adams Utopias is the real deal. 28% ABV.

Bsigg12

I'll try it to see what it is. I've had countless bourbon barrel aged beers that have been phenomenal so there is no way this could compare but I'll try a bottle.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just don't get why they're comparing it to bourbon. It's not bourbon-barrel aged, since that would be massively expensive and pointless on a low ABV-highly distributed product. Its also not even approaching spirit level alcohol percentages and there's clearly not bourbon in it since that's illegal.

turnbuckle

I just don't get why they're comparing it to bourbon. It's not bourbon-barrel aged, since that would be massively expensive and pointless on a low ABV-highly distributed product. Its also not even approaching spirit level alcohol percentages and there's clearly not bourbon in it since that's illegal.

Probably along the same lines as:

Marketing. Doesn't have to make sense. It's all about the presentation while appealing to as broad a market as they can while trying to retain the appearance of being a more refined beer. I mean, the bottle alone makes me want to try it. I dunno if I'd like it, hate it, or be totally indifferent but seeing "bourbon-like" was enough to get my attention.

The big three beers had me convinced I hated beer until I tried craft beer. I just don't see myself digging this when I've got so many great options from breweries like Lakewood, Peticolas, Deep Ellum etc. right down the road.

UrokeJoe

The big three beers had me convinced I hated beer until I tried craft beer. I just don't see myself digging this when I've got so many great options from breweries like Lakewood, Peticolas, Deep Ellum etc. right down the road.

Exactly. Support your local and screw these guys. This stuff sounds so stupid.

nullref

Trying to move product at this scale leads to some truly tortured marketing strategies. Presumably simply trying to make an excellent beer is insufficient?

painey

Miller Fortune: Don't Call It 'Bourbon-Like'
Published in CSP Daily News

Brewer sets the record straight about its new product coming Feb. 10

CHICAGO -- Earlier this week, Bloomberg News Service wrote a story (“MillerCoors Seeks Spirits Fans With Bourbon-Like Lager”) about a new beer from MillerCoors called Miller Fortune, that launches the week of Feb. 10.

Since that story ran, there have been several follow-up stories "that inaccurately portray Miller Fortune as being a bourbon-flavored beer," according to a MillerCoors spokesperson. "That is simply not true, and we’d like to set the record straight." To that end, MillerCoors offered the following clarifying Q&A:

What is Miller Fortune?

Miller Fortune is a new beer with a 6.9% ABV. It features a rich, golden color, brewed with caramel malt and cascade hops to achieve layers of flavor and a distinctly smooth finish. The beer was brewed to deliver the complexity and depth that appeals to spirit drinkers. Spirit-inspired, yes. Spirit-infused, no. As many of you know, the beer industry as a whole has lost 7 share points to spirits (5) and wine (2) in the last 10 years. Miller Fortune was created to fight against these losses and take back legal-drinking age spirits drinkers/occasions. So, you can say it has been inspired by the success of spirits competition, and it is a darker beer that may look more bourbon-like in a glass.

What is Miller Fortune not?

Miller Fortune is not bourbon-like or a bourbon-flavored beer.

http://www.cspnet.com/category-mana.../articles/miller-fortune-dont-call-it-bourbon

No thanks, just because it has a shiny bottle doesn't mean it's not going to taste like ass. I'll stick with the local breweries here in the bay area.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gross:

Question, why is it that when drunken idiots in trucks drink beers in their trucks and then toss the cans on the sidewalk, it's always Coors?

Also, do they not know that those beers have the least alcohol?

Woo, another DFW gaffer? I've had Lakewood and Deep Ellum (like them both). How's Peticolas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom