• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Vita Edition |OT| Sony dealt, 4J developed, Mojang owned, MS nothin'.

ChrisD

This is the game that will get me to buy a grip. My poor index finger. Other than that, game works out fine for me. Choppy? Yes. But it's portable Minecraft with buttons and sticks. I just couldn't work with touch-screen controls.

Flandy

For being subnative it doesn't really look that bad to be honest. Maybe it's the simple looking graphics? Objects in the distance look a bit blurry but otherwise it looks fine.

Frame rate is pretty rough on multiplayer at least. Haven't played enough single player to judge it there but it seems to be a lot better. Hope 4J adds an option to the settings menu to lock it at 30. Perfectly playable though even if it is a bit unstable.

Flandy

What does the trial/demo contain (have no money right now,but I'd like to try the game)?

Does it start with a MS logo?

If it's the same as the PS3 demo I believe it's just the tutorial level and you aren't able to save. There might be a time limit too but I don't remember

I'd double dip for Vita version if they upped the world size so they could do PS4 cross-save. I'd give anything for that.

Yeah, that would be amazing...there's still remote play though.

PS4 has a such a staggeringly larger amount of ram than Vita, that would probably be a technical nightmare (and possibly not feasible from a user perspective if it introduced large load times or something). Perhaps they could do it by sectioning the PS4 world into like 16 segments, which loaded like a new save file when you crossed into the next zone?

Apparently we can still transfer from Vita to PS4 and back though? I'm curious to see how big the Vita areas are.

Alchemy

Probably gonna buy this to try out on the PSTV when I get home. Any idea if you can do adhoc multi with the same PSN account if I had this on the PSTV and Vita?

Flandy

Took a dozen or so screenshots. Click to enlarge
15514371906_3963b76d10_b.jpg
14917317614_a4c61ecc61_b.jpg
15352431560_82579125a8_b.jpg
15514363666_1b78f00924_b.jpg
15538899372_8a787bb7c9_b.jpg
14917890223_12b280ab8c_b.jpg
14917320814_95ca79dc9d_b.jpg
15352048127_80afc92df9_b.jpg
15514367476_2007edecf4_b.jpg
15538071535_c7b67a3264_b.jpg
15352437410_3cdccd7152_b.jpg
15351912988_f491f91d42_b.jpg

aro52

But if we transfer from Vita/PS3 first to PS4, it doesn't load the level with the smaller map size, making export back to Vita/PS3 still possible?

Not possible to go back. It's a one way transfer to PS4. It's turns into a PS4 map, and gets extra area added.

ShadiWulf

Notice people talking about the framerate, when i first loaded the tutorial level it was incredibly choppy. That choppyness went away after a minute or two though. The framerate probably tanks when loading new chunks.

I personally wasn't expecting amazing performance, the PS3 and XBOX 360 versions already struggle, what chance did the Vita stand? Is about what I expected from the port. Cross buy was a smart decision, definitely wouldn't be worth $20 by itself.

Regardless of the downfalls I'm still enjoying the game. Nice to have Minecraft on a handheld.

But if we transfer from Vita/PS3 first to PS4, it doesn't load the level with the smaller map size, making export back to Vita/PS3 still possible?

I assume in that scenario the PS4 version of the save populates the PS3/Vita world into the middle and then populates random world around it until it fills to the PS4 world size if that makes sense

Not possible to go back. It's a one way transfer to PS4. It's turns into a PS4 map, and gets extra area added.

Ok, fair enough. To be honest, that actually sounds like a feature I'd be more likely to use. It's not that appealing having to play on PS4 with smaller maps.

curb

Banned
I just checked it out and the framerate seems fine to me. Not perfect but certainly playable. I look forward to diving in for a more serious look once my little one is off to bed. Actually, I'll pick up my PS TV from Best Buy first, little one to bed after and then Minecraft. Livin' the dream.

Leynos

I have never really played Minecraft as I have no interest in LEGOs with grinding. Is there a point/goal/story to this? Or is it simply an open world that you are free to aimlessly meander about in?

I have never really played Minecraft as I have no interest in LEGOs with grinding. Is there a point/goal/story to this? Or is it simply an open world that you are free to aimlessly meander about in?

I felt the same way...until I bought the ps4 version for my son. Now I want to play it as much as he does. There is an end game (kind of) but that's not really the point.

Once you start building simple circuits and automating things you may find yourself hooked. I'm working on building a roller coaster of sorts.

There is actually a "story" with a final boss and "quests" needed to complete it but that is by far the weakest area of Minecraft and not at all why people buy it

Anyone luck out with a seed with pretty great biome diversity/nice villages? The first seed I had was pretty piss poor, unfortunately. Also, any idea if seeds are shared between this and the PS3 version?

Re: Framerate/Resolution, the game looks and plays like you would expect it to. Honestly I haven't played the other console minecrafts, but it runs pretty ass on PC so I didn't expect a whole lot going into it.

I think world size is my only real concern thus far.

**I'm pretty sure I can confirm that PS3 and PSVita seeds are identical. Makes sense, but good to know.

MattyG

Banned
So I just played about 2 hours, and it's completely functional and actually really fun. There's plenty of framerate drops (not as many as BL2, but still quite a few), but other than that it's just as good as the PS3 version.

I have to wait almost a month for the retail version. :/ But it'll be worth it.

Is it worth it? Maybe it's different for other regions?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/10/minecraft-ps-vita-edition-coming-to-ps-store-next-week/
About to purchase PS Vita Edition (Retail) from 11/11
On your PS3 or PS Vita, enter the pack-in voucher code through PS Store and you’ll be able to download the PS Vita and PS3 Editions digitally, and upgrade to the PS4 Edition for $4.99.

Edit: The EU blog says the same thing but
15354032398_cceebf75ee_o.png

I guess I shouldn't be worrying.

Is it worth it? Maybe it's different for other regions?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/10/minecraft-ps-vita-edition-coming-to-ps-store-next-week/

Edit: The EU blog says the same thing but
15354032398_cceebf75ee_o.png

I guess I shouldn't be worrying.

Yeah, apparently it comes with a game card and a voucher for the digital version. I prefer to have physical games and only get digital versions if they are exclusive or not available on physical.

So I'll have to wait while all of you have fun playing Minecraft on Vita. ;___;

Yeah, apparently it comes with a game card and a voucher for the digital version. I prefer to have physical games and only get digital versions if they are exclusive or not available on physical.

So I'll have to wait while all of you have fun playing Minecraft on Vita. ;___;
Whoa so it comes with a Physical and Digital version? :O that's quite generous.
It's worth the wait, plays like the PS3 version to me. :)

Cornbread78

My daughter's feedback puts the Vita version 2nd on her favorite list; just behind the PS3 & 360 versions because of por ability and ahead of her iPod/Kindle versions.

So here's a potentially stupid question: I've read and re-read the OP but just want a bit of clarification on the "Cross-buy" stuff. As I understand it, because I've purchased the Vita version I have immediate access to the PS3 version. I can transfer my save data between these two versions. For an additional $4.99, I can purchase the PS4 version (which is discounted from the $19.99 cost now?). However, if I choose to move my save to the PS4 version I can no longer access the same content back on my Vita/PS3 copy. Otherwise for a grand total of about $25 I can get all three versions of the game? Is that right?

Also on topic a bit I've been having an absolute blast with the game on Vita. I've never played Minecraft before, but I'm beginning to "get it". So far I've only built a shelter inside of a mountain, with a hidden basement room built into it. The game plays really well, I haven't noticed any issues or anything so far at least.

So I have the disc version...how do I do Cross-Buy?
I am not 100%, I have not been able to have this confirmed by someone, but I believe I remember hearing a while back that if you played the PS3 version before a certain date, 8/31 or 9/31, you got the Vita version for free.

Though, it could be that you just pop the disc in your PS3, hop to the store, DL Minecraft and then give the disc back to your friend. But then you'd be screwing yourself out of having two copies...

MUnited83

For you.
Wow, so, wait, it's confirmed that the retail version will be a game card AND include a voucher for the ditigal Vita/PS3 copies? Because if so, I might wait for the physical release.

Top Bottom