• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just recently bought the PC version and that's the one with all the mods and stuff so I thought I was ok with not buying this.... But if I can get my girlfriend into the game with split screen multiplayer, it just might be worth a double dip...

I just recently bought the PC version and that's the one with all the mods and stuff so I thought I was ok with not buying this.... But if I can get my girlfriend into the game with split screen multiplayer, it just might be worth a double dip...

That's going to be my main use for the 360 version is trying to get my girlfriend interested in the game through split screen.

Woorloog

Banned
Fuck that's small.. :(

Very disappointed.

Indeed. Split screen is fun but that small world ruins everything. Doesn't have enough space for multiple biomes, you're going to run out of (rare/important) resources way too soon, not enough space to explore it. Dammit.
Well, i guess i won't be buying the Xbox version after all, even splitscreen cannot replace what is lost...

I've only ventured out to +600, which would be 1200 blocks across. I'm still finding cave systems and other neat stuff. It's only a dealbreaker for MP terraforming and other crazy projects.

Macca

I really with they had've come up with a way so that worlds were always available to people who have played them.

As it stands, if I'm playing a world with my buddies, I have to be online everytime they want to do something in that world. I think thats really going to hurt the game.

I didn't expect dedicated servers or anything, but they could have come up with something like a world that uploads to the xbox servers when you save the game, and then your friends can download it when they come on, and if you want to play multiplayer it just joins them.

Rlan

It might be a bit disingenuous as well -- the amount you can dig "down" is probably a lot compared to the upstairs stuff.

Woorloog

Banned
It might be a bit disingenuous as well -- the amount you can dig "down" is probably a lot compared to the upstairs stuff.

64 down, 64 up, in 1.6 on PC. The height cap was rised later on, to 128 i think (ie the total height is 192). But the issue here is not the height or depth, indeed 64 has always been fine depth. 1200 blocks across is too small a world, there won't be enough space for many biomes (unless the code was tweaked to make them smaller) nor to make grand adventures to wilderness.

mollipen

Does anyone know why the embargo for reviews is Thursday? The way he says "you reporters should understand why" makes it sound like something funny's going on.

How can you embargo reviews until Thursday when I could buy my own copy of the released game on Wednesday? That makes no sense.

How can you embargo reviews until Thursday when I could buy my own copy of the released game on Wednesday? That makes no sense.

Turns out I must have read it wrong. On the 99 codes thing, it said "DO NOT POST REVIEWS UNTIL THURSDAY, or I shall be quite cross! There's an embargo in place, and you reporters should understand why," which just all sounded a bit weird.

Sanic

Worlds that small are really dissapointing for all of the reasons already mentioned. A lot of the fun for me in minecraft is extensively exploring a world, which is impossible here; The 360 maps look to be just the size of a biome or two.

64 down, 64 up, in 1.6 on PC. The height cap was rised later on, to 128 i think (ie the total height is 192).
No, it was raissed to 64 down, 192 up, for a total of 256. That came with Final 1.2, which was the most recent "major" update (several subsequent "minor" updates have followed).

I'm used to it from playing Total Miner, so I'm fine with the size of the world.

Although, it wouldn't hurt to increase the size of the map. Even if it's only like 3x the size.

trinest

The world thing isn't really an issue- its big enough anyway. It just needs more bioms.

I'll still pick it up. Already bought the dam points :|

MrDaravon

Was ONLY getting this to play multiplayer with 2 of my friends; no dedicated servers (aka the "host" always has to be on) was nearly a dealbreaker, but the world being that small is an absolute dealbreaker. For a $10 game I'd probably bite, but fuck this for $20.

Ranger X

What the hell man...
There's no real reason for this to happen unless Minecraft was taking a shitload of ram on PC and that they couldn't optimise. Anyhow, this is a dealbreaker right there for me.

There are other possibilities. Is someone knowledgeable about XBLA dev rules to pass Microsoft certification? Is there a limit size for the save file? This could be a rule that prevents them from having infinite terrain.
Another rule that could prevent them from having infinite terrain is that Microsoft might have, like Sony and Nintendo, a rule where save files CANNOT growth over time.

Bravo Mojang and Microsoft. You really killed my day now. For the price they ask it's ridiculous. A small 1.6 world for more than 12$ bucks? No fucking way man, I ain't touching this.

Bravo Mojang and Microsoft. You really killed my day now. For the price they ask it's ridiculous. A small 1.6 world for more than 12$ bucks? No fucking way man, I ain't touching this.

0070_nmn7.gif

ckohler

It's disheartening to learn that the world will be that small to start with. At the same time I'm actually kind of curious what it would be like to play in that size world. Building superefficient mob traps, for example, might be easier in a fixed size world surrounded by water. I'm still very much looking forward to the game.

Haunted

Accepted everyone on the 'Minecraft GAF' account. Think I have 10 people on there now.

In respect of the limited map size (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcYNKsxx6-k), do you think the map sizes will be increased with updates? I'm concerned about the fact that you can run out of resources when playing with friends. Infinite like the PC would have been nice, but I guess there might be a performance/memory problem with it.
That's honestly kind of a dealbreaker right there. I love Mojang and Minecraft and really want to support them, but I have to call this out, that's just not right and totally not in the spirit of freedom that's one of the core tenets of Minecraft (well, at least imo).

So basically, one of my favourite Minecraft videos would never be possible in the 360 version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jQGT8krCDU

Isometric view of the Interstate map.

Chance to win a copy if you have twitter
The highly anticipated title Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition comes to Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday and I have your change to win a copy first and free. All you need to do is leave a comment below (Sign in using your Twitter account – OR leave your twitter user name in the comments) and let me know what you are looking forward to building in Minecraft. THEN be sure you are following me on Twitter. (Click the button below to be sure)

After 6p ET/3p PT on Tuesday, May 8th I’ll randomly choose 10 Winners and DM them a code for a free copy of Minecraft:Xbox 360 Edition that you can download and play immediately before it goes on sale Wednesday morning.

MarkusRJR

Does anyone know what the total size of the game + a game save would be yet? I'm currently using a 4gb model and want to buy this game. Anything more than a gig is too much. :/

hitoshi

Does anyone know what the total size of the game + a game save would be yet? I'm currently using a 4gb model and want to buy this game. Anything more than a gig is too much. :/

The game itself is around 120 MB, and my save is 10mb after 12 hours of playtime. Half of the overworld explored.

MarkusRJR

You dont own a usb drive?
Nope
The game itself is around 120 MB, and my save is 10mb after 12 hours of playtime. Half of the overworld explored.
Thank you! I'm super pumped to play this finally. I tried it on my netbook and got like 10fps. I have to use my father's computer and I can only use it for short periods so I never get anywhere. The fact I can use my 48" tv and relax on the couch is another plus I suppose. :p

So how do we get around the whole "must be signed in to let people play on my server thing"? That's a real downside if it doesn't have cloud syncing of SMP servers. That is, until they let us log in to our own servers, modded or not.

mollipen

Time it took me to get from one edge of my world to the other (using no pre-made paths, having to go around a mountain, and doing a bit of swimming): 4 minutes 12 seconds.

Macca

Time it took me to get from one edge of my world to the other (using no pre-made paths, having to go around a mountain, and doing a bit of swimming): 4 minutes 12 seconds.
That's really really disappointing. Being.a good ten minute walk away and hauling your ass home and having to camp out is one of the best parts of minecraft.

I like how 4J Studios said the map was "large". Really doesn't seem that way.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

..........oh.........

This isn't minecraft, then :p It's like the iOS version :p

Damn, the size thing is super disappointing. I won't buy until there is confirmation that the world size will get bigger in future updates :/

Rapstah

..........oh.........

This isn't minecraft, then :p It's like the iOS version :p

Seems like four times the size of the mobile worlds. I think the mobile ones were four chunks.

What would happen if you walked to the edge of the Nether and build a portal in there in this version? Will it always build the other portal inside of the invisible walls in the real world?

Subxero

Damn, the size thing is super disappointing. I won't buy until there is confirmation that the world size will get bigger in future updates :/

I feel the exact same way.

The limited world size really killed this for me. I was looking forward to it on 360 since some of my friends don't play PC games. $20 is too much to risk on it never getting opened up or updated properly now. I think I only paid $13 for the PC version during the alpha.

Considering getting this for my little brother who is a huge fan of minecraft on YouTube but has never had the chance to play the game for realsies since the game runs pretty poorly on his laptop and the mobile version kind of blows.

Is multiplayer Gold only or did mojang maybe get around that? Im sure he would be okay with playing it as a sp game but it would be nice if he could try it online.

herod

I run a dedicated MC server, it's not exactly a memory-efficient application. Chewing up 900MB right now. Xbox has to also run four-player co-op in its 480MB of Ram.

Just imagine how much smaller it would be on PS3 :p

Xater

At this point I will gladly play the 360 version if I get a free code but 1600 points with the limitations this version has is a bit much. If they had discounted it compared to the PC release it would be a much easier pill to swallow.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
At this point I will gladly play the 360 version if I get a free code but 1600 points with the limitations this version has is a bit much. If they had discounted it compared to the PC release it would be a much easier pill to swallow.
It is discounted compared to the PC version...

The PC version is $26.95... Though I picked it up when it was like $10 or something, with a lot less features than 1.6.6.

Top Bottom