• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Can anyone recap what the differences are between the XBLA release and Current PC version are? Keep in mind I have never played MC, just read bits and pieces here and there and understand the basic concept of the game.

The list is very likely too large to contain in a single post (even if a good chunk of it is bugfixes), so start from 1.7 here, work your way up to the top, and then pick up from the bottom of here.

I'm not sure how useful it will be to a guy who's never played MC before, but having gone over it a bit myself since posting that, here's a basic list:

• Pistons, allowing for more complex structures.
  • Hunger mechanics, making the farming mechanics now kinda mandatory.
  • Villages with NPCs. Zombies raid them at night.
  • Several new enemies in the hellish dimension known as The Nether (where you travel 8 blocks in the overworld for every 1 down there), including Blazes (they set you on fire from afar) and Magma Cubes (basically what it says on the tin; they hop at you).
  • A new overworld enemy, the "Endermen", who teleport around, pick up and rearrange a few natural blocks and generally ignore you, unless you look directly at them (even accidentally), at which point they will flip their shit and chase you down.
  • Underground strongholds with portals to another dimension in them. Drops from the Endermen can open this portal up.
  • The End, the dimension said portals take you to, complete with a final boss fight (a dragon) and a weird-ass ending when you slay it.
  • Improved AI, meaning monsters will no longer blindly head straight for you, even if they're about to walk into a giant pit of lava between you and them.
  • Cats were added, which help counter the fact that Creepers got smarter, too (Creepers are deathly afraid of cats).
  • Jungle biomes, with huge-ass trees stretching up to the skies.
  • Upside-down stairs and half-blocks, if you're more of the "I wanna create shit" kind.
This is obviously glossing over things, so look at the wiki pages I posted for more details.

If anyone here lives in the UK/has a UK Xbox Live account, you can get 500 free Microsoft points for the price of Minecraft:

Basically you can purchase a download version of Minecraft for Xbox 360 from GAME for £13.99. What you actually get is a code emailed to you for 2100 MS Points. Considering these usually cost £17, there's a bargain to be had!

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/2100-ms-points-instantly-delivered-from-game-13-99-1213411

http://www.game.co.uk/en/minecraft-170976?pageSize=20&searchTerm=minecraft

That video was painful. The dude playing talked like he'd played before but clearly hadn't. He walked right past diamond, didn't use torches at night and griefed his friend's world. He mistook the moon for the sun. It was 30 minutes of "So, what does that block do?". "Uhh.. I don't know." Then he proceeds to spend two minutes digging straight down through stone using his hands.

If you think that was painful, don't ever watch a Quicklook where Brad is playing. It boggles the mind how terrible he is at a vast majority of games.

This world size limit is a total bummer. I was really looking forward to this, especially when they announced split screen. But for my play style, that world size is just ridiculous. I'm torn, may still pick it up because I still have some points that I got for free a few months back. Playing on a controller with friends in the same room sounds awesome, but the single player aspect of exploration is basically castrated.

Also, I would eat my favorite hat if they ever "updated" the world size down the line. There's probably some technical reason that they had to limit the size in the first place, unless you think they arbitrarily made a small world limit just so they could increase it later for whatever purpose that could serve. I would be getting quite comfortable with the world size if I were to buy this version at all.

Haunted

And the XBLA version feels like Duplo: The Game.
tumblr_lnvvopBiRR1qkpj21.gif

Marco1

So glad I visited the thread to read about the world size before I purchased tomorrow.
Just saved myself 1600 points.
No buy until they improve the world size.

Xater

Well at least the 360 release got me to play the PC version again. Have not touched it since the alpha and boy did this game change. I am now actually getting into it, before it didn#t quite work for me.

Helmholtz

That video was painful. The dude playing talked like he'd played before but clearly hadn't. He walked right past diamond, didn't use torches at night and griefed his friend's world. He mistook the moon for the sun. It was 30 minutes of "So, what does that block do?". "Uhh.. I don't know." Then he proceeds to spend two minutes digging straight down through stone using his hands.
Nah... I don't think he ever claimed to have been an expert on the game. In fact he's said repeatedly on podcasts that the game didn't interest him. I believe the XBLA version is the first time he's actually gotten into the game somewhat. Could be wrong though.

Woorloog

Banned
I assume this is going to have a demo just like other XBLA games? I really need to try this out to get a feel of the map size, if it feels okay, then i can buy this for occasional splitscreen fun. Can't really test it on PC, i'd just keep going and going instead of trying to measure a square kilometer or so...

Santiako

I assume this is going to have a demo just like other XBLA games? I really need to try this out to get a feel of the map size, if it feels okay, then i can buy this for occasional splitscreen fun. Can't really test it on PC, i'd just keep going and going instead of trying to measure a square kilometer or so...

Yes, XBLA demos are mandatory.

Vlad

Which reminds me, has anybody actually counted how many squares wide the xbox world limit is yet?

Macca

Just saw this:

EreP0.png

Not very encouraging... to be honest, I'd rather them increase the world size, and then work on the PC features. But oh well.

Ranger X

What a weak question. He should have asked:

Will you update the game so the worlds are infinite or near infinite and why you couldn't pull this off right off the bat?

I want to know the shit TCR rules that preventing that game to happen without being atrociously gimped.

Artchur

So I just booted up Minecraft to test it out on the PC after a long hiatus. Mined into the ground a ways and all of a sudden im finding old mine shafts, etc etc. WAY more immersive than it used to be and pretty cool. Made me excited to get out there exploring.

I also noticed the ability to gain levels (not sure what this does) but I was intrigued by that aspect of the game. Were these things around at version 1.6 (which the XBLA will be at)? I know hunger/the End/etc are out.. but what about these mine shafts, the nether, etc?

So I just booted up Minecraft to test it out on the PC after a long hiatus. Mined into the ground a ways and all of a sudden im finding old mine shafts, etc etc. WAY more immersive than it used to be and pretty cool. Made me excited to get out there exploring.

I also noticed the ability to gain levels (not sure what this does) but I was intrigued by that aspect of the game. Were these things around at version 1.6 (which the XBLA will be at)? I know hunger/the End/etc are out.. but what about these mine shafts, the nether, etc?

I'm confused at where "1.6" came from, I'm up to date on PC with version 1.2.5. Someone a few posts up posted the major differences between the two versions.

EDIT: Just realized it's referring to the beta version numbers... err this predates the adventure update beta.

Artchur

I'm confused at where "1.6" came from, I'm up to date on PC with version 1.2.5. Someone a few posts up posted the major differences between the two versions.

Yeah I just noticed that.. maybe I read wrong and they meant 1.1.6? Anyway, looks like most of the important additions are in there. Mainly picking this up again for splitscreen with the wife and online with friends. I would like the ability to share worlds though, although I don't know how they would manage that. Would nice if you could upload it to cloud storage and two players could sync with each other from there.

smr00

Banned
When do the wed stuff usually hit the marketplace est time?

I don't care if the world is small or any of that, i am fine with a "pocket" version i play flung out on my sofa.

I don't care if the world is small or any of that, i am fine with a "pocket" version i play flung out on my sofa.

This is exactly the reason I want it tbh...

I'd love to play Minecraft lying down on the sofa, have the PC version but I struggle to really sit down often with it because I don't find it particularly comfortable given how long I can spend on it.

Can't afford it at the moment anyway, but maybe in the future.

bengraven

Whoa whoa whoa, this is beta version 1.6? So no 1.0 features are in? No hunger, criticals, enchanting, strongholds, nether upgrades, ravines, mineshafts, etc?

Ouch. Well thankfully be assured that unlike some game companies, you're at least going to get those features eventually without paying for them.

Speaking of which, though, I swore the original alpha agreement said "you will get all versions of Minecraft and all DLC free, forever" and I thought that would apply to "different versions on other platforms". Where's my XBLA code Notch?

Same here. It's probably my most played game of all time at this point. I have no problem paying another $20 just for split screen on the tv.

Same here. I just wish some of my RL friends who are on XBL actually cared about this game as much as I do. lol

It's a reasonable size for 8 people, to be honest. I don't understand why people are freaking out so much over this.

Also, is the NeoGAF server still up and active? What's the address?

This one time I spawned on the beach by two huge hills. This was before maps existed and MC was still in alpha (sometime around beta I accidently deleted this world), there weren't even .

I built a huge castle on one hill, all the way up to the sky limit, and under the other I found a massive cavern system. I explored those caverns for weeks of my time, dozens of hours in game. I finally broke the surface one day after seeing some light filtering through a ceiling in the cavern.

Exploding out into free air, I imagined I had to be miles and miles and miles away from my original home because of the distance I had traveled in those dark and dangerous caverns.

I saw a darker grey shape somewhere to my left and turned and wondered what it was. I realized after a bit it was cobblestone - something that very very rarely forms naturally. I was just across the bay from my castle.

That's how dense this game can be. When the option became available, I made a map - I had explored 1/25th of my map in over a month. Just one tiny corner of my world. And if I rebooted I would have another completely randomized world to explore. And another.

World size only counts on massive servers like our NeoCraft one. With just a few friends you're going to have plenty of space.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly the reason I want it tbh...

I'd love to play Minecraft lying down on the sofa, have the PC version but I struggle to really sit down often with it because I don't find it particularly comfortable given how long I can spend on it.

Can't afford it at the moment anyway, but maybe in the future.

Same reason I'll be buying it plus the splitscreen stuff which is a huge plus for me because in our home we struggled to get a proper game going on pc due to timeouts and connection issues. I'm not particularly fond of the game but my younger siblings will get a kick out of being able to play together so easily so that alone is worth the price.

I'm a bit disappointed by the world size, but will still pick this up. Hopefully the BestBuy deal with go live and work fine. I guess priority-wise it'd be nice if they caught up with the PC features then focused on the world size.

Yep, don't give a rat's ass about world size. My daughter, wife and I will be playing splitscreen on the 58 inch. Can't wait.

I wonder how the updates are going to work for this. I really hope that they're hefty updates. That way the 360 version can slowly catch up to the PC version.

LordAlu

Booo, showing up on the UK marketplace but with a cost of -1 Microsoft Points so you can't buy it :(

Edit: Ooh, only 113.21MB. That'll take all of 20 seconds to download :)

FyreWulff

What a weak question. He should have asked:

Will you update the game so the worlds are infinite or near infinite and why you couldn't pull this off right off the bat?

I want to know the shit TCR rules that preventing that game to happen without being atrociously gimped.

Your world sizes can only ever get as big as the RAM on the server allows. They are not infinite.

This is the same rut people get stuck in over the 3000 song limit in Rock Band 3. The 360 has 512MB of RAM. They have to be careful about corruption and fragmentation before they push it higher.

Top Bottom