• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minnesota OT | Minneapolis is the Akihabara of Minnesota

Mathaou

legacy of cane
The official thread for Gaffers in the land of 10,000 lakes!
Pose_lake_Minnesota.jpg

We ask that you put your city in the title of whatever you post, but this is mainly a thread for people to talk about goings ons (cons, cool arcades, deals) and meet some people around you.
Minnesota_population_map_cropped.png

This is Minnesota, with 5,420,380 people in our state, you'd think that at least some of them would be gaffers, right? Which is why this thread was made.
How can I learn more about your state?
If you really want to, then you can check out this website or go to the Wikipedia article.

Cons in Minnesota by city:
Minneapolis:
Meta Con - "MetaCon is a massive entertainment expo filled with exhibitors, guest stars, interactive events, costuming, exhibitors, artists, entertainers, and beyond. We bring together thousands of geeks for a three-day celebration of geek culture and nerd life." Date: September 4-6, 2015
AniMinneapolis - "Anime Minneapolis is the second-largest anime convention in Minneapolis, with over 5,000 people converging on the Hyatt Regency Minneapolis from May 8-10, 2015. The Minneapolis anime convention features cosplay, anime, guests, dealers, video games, a rave, free ramen, artists, and more." Date: May 8-10, 2015
Wizard World - "Where pop culture comes to life." Date: May 1-3, 2015
Anime Detour - "Anime Detour is a convention run by fans for fans of Japanese animation, manga (Comic), videogames and culture. See the programming page for descriptions of our events." Date: March 27-29, 2015

I'm from Edina originally but live in California now. I was always surprised at the little MN crowd around here.

Best pizza in the cities is Fireside Pizza.

Oh cool a Minnesota thread!

I'm from Brooklyn Park (Park Center, North Hennepin) but going to school in Mankato right now (MSU)

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Oh cool a Minnesota thread!

I'm from Brooklyn Park (Park Center, North Hennepin) but going to school in Mankato right now (MSU)

Nice! This thread is mainly just a resource for locating other gaffers near you and finding out about cons and such. I did research, and literally every con in Minnesota is happening in SW MPLS, where I live :)

Venfayth

Minnesota is top tier!

Went to the u of m for a year but got a nice job working in the anoka area. I'm real close to the Northstar, super easy to get down to the cities. :)

Love that there's a strong GAF contingent. I went to elementary/junior high school in north Minneapolis, graduated high school at Osseo, attended Winona State. I've lived in Minneapolis, Winona, Maple Grove, Brooklyn Park, Wayzata, and now Rogers. Have family in Mankato, Courtland, and New Ulm. Currently work downtown Minneapolis.

Favorite place to eat: The Anchor Fish and Chips

Former favorite place to eat: Calhoun Square Figlio (R.I.P. in peace)

Favorite place to bring the kids in the summer: swimming at the widening of Minnehaha Creek (after the falls)

Favorite place to bring the kids in the winter: MOA (yeah, I said it)

BTW - if you've never been to Winona, take a slow autumn drive down Highway 61 and make a day of it. The bluffs along the river are beautiful and the small towns have a lot to offer in the way of mom-and-pop shops and restaurants (Kings Place in Miesville is no joke for bar food).

Minnesota is top tier!

Went to the u of m for a year but got a nice job working in the anoka area. I'm real close to the Northstar, super easy to get down to the cities. :)

Nice! I love Anoka. I grew up there but live in St. Louis Park now. Anoka will always hold a special place in my heart.

So I didn't want to make a new thread about this (because shameless promotion is shameless), but I thought I'd let Minnesota-GAF know that I wrote a musical based on Super Mario Bros. which heavily parodies the 90s Bob Hoskins movie and it will be premiering this August through the MN Fringe Festival. Given that it's GAF I figure that'd be up someone's wheelhouse! Here's the facebook event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1202418819778937/

gwailo

Banned
Didn't you ever have Davannis? Jakeenos? Lola?

Lola is by far my favorite.

Davanni's is very average IMO, better than the national chains, but not really all that great. Same way I feel about Pizza Luce, which I think is incredibly over-hyped.

Jakeeno's is legit though, I used to live a few blocks from there and got it once a week.

Really like Punch pizza for something a little different. Miss that old pizza place next to First Ave that you could get huge slice for 2 bucks.

Top Bottom