• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast: A New Beginning | Review Thread + |OT|

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Was gonna boot this game up till I took it out of the sealed case...

20240407-101958.jpg

Long live physical media.

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
Ugh that sucks! Just take it back I’m sure they’ll replace it.

I really enjoyed my time with this game and the original. As I replayed the 1999 original again before and after.

I just beat and got the platinum for this game last night.
Don't sleep on it. I think it's a lot more fun than the reviews give it credit for.
There is a demo to try it out, but the demo kinda sucks from what i remember.
You get 32 mods for your pistol and rifle changing up how you want the gun to feel like.
Combining different mods at a time. It's a cool alternative to having tons of weapons to sort through.

Came out at a bad time with rebirth, ronin and stellar blade all around the same time period.
Now I'm shifting my focus to Stellar Blade.

I picked this up the other week, it was on sale for $53, still might be.

It received a patch this last Tuesday that enabled a 40fps mode, also got some HUD updates that people had been asking for, not to mention previous patches that addressed performance issues and whatnot.

I haven't booted it up yet, too occupied with other games but I am really looking forward to playing this. I refuse to believe that it's some trash open world game that "feels dated." Reading blurbs from critical reviews, they may as well have been talking about Horizon or the hundreds of other open world titles that exist. It makes no sense to me why certain games get a pass and then others get roasted. I mean, I know why it happens but it's really lame all the same.

Last edited:
Finally dumped some hours into the game.

This game is fun as hell and so damn chill to play. Great environments, insanely colorful, reminds me of the Xenoblade Chronicles X world. Game is gorgeous too, just super pleasant on the eyes.

Casuals will get hung up because "it feels dated" but if you play games to have fun, you really can't go wrong.

Fun gunplay, good traversal/platforming. It was a bit talky at first but after 2 hours it opened up and now I'm just jet packing around and doing the stuff on the map.

Definitely worth playing, add it to the wishlist and snag it when it's on sale. It'll be on sale for $40 before the end of the year. Games like this should be supported.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Finally dumped some hours into the game.

This game is fun as hell and so damn chill to play. Great environments, insanely colorful, reminds me of the Xenoblade Chronicles X world. Game is gorgeous too, just super pleasant on the eyes.

Casuals will get hung up because "it feels dated" but if you play games to have fun, you really can't go wrong.

Fun gunplay, good traversal/platforming. It was a bit talky at first but after 2 hours it opened up and now I'm just jet packing around and doing the stuff on the map.

Definitely worth playing, add it to the wishlist and snag it when it's on sale. It'll be on sale for $40 before the end of the year. Games like this should be supported.
It's a rare case of where the devs cared a lot about the source material and were able to reproduce the nostalgic feel and make it better and up to modern standards (some of the same people are involved right?). I just like the dialogue and random quests and how it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's the rare occasion where I actually feel the world is well realized and I care about it, unlike Ubisoft rehashed crud.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's a rare case of where the devs cared a lot about the source material and were able to reproduce the nostalgic feel and make it better and up to modern standards (some of the same people are involved right?). I just like the dialogue and random quests and how it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's the rare occasion where I actually feel the world is well realized and I care about it, unlike Ubisoft rehashed crud.

Yep, OG’s were involved!

Denton

Outcast 2 is currently 60% off on WinGameStore (PC Steam version) so I picked it up (I really liked the first game's remake)

And I gotta say, the combo of new Lennie Moore music, with the visuals below and Cutter's dry sense of humor is really doing it for me.
And combat has surprisingly great feel - from videos it looked kinda bad (eurojanky) but while playing it is fun and feels good.

1013140-20240714210520-1.jpg

1013140-20240714212444-1.jpg

1013140-20240714210410-1.jpg

1013140-20240714205227-1.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
I heard there is not much reason to explore to find stuff, is it true?

It was the major thing that stopped me from buying the game.

It’s more like clearing the map of an Ubisoft game. But it upgrades your abilities, health and weapons. There’s a few different activities and they all have their own icon on the map.

For the platinum there’s 2 other things to collect all over but you’ll probably just wanna use a guide to get the missing ones if you want to get the platinum.

Hint: if you want to get the collect all weapons mods trophy, someone crafts 2 of them, they’re not all from outpost chests.

There isn't much reason to explore but platforming is handled so well that you'll find yourself exploring for the hell of it. The art style is great when it comes to scenery and traversal feels so good, you'll want o get to the top of high places to glide around, etc. It's a really fun game, take the plunge when it's on sale. It has a bit of jank at times but above all else, the game is damn fun and chill as hell. I platinumed it last week and will definitely do another full playthrough at some point.

Denton

10 hours in, I love it. It does lack some cool stuff from original like navigation without quest markers with talans procedurally being able to give directions - here, you just get quest markers - but all the important stuff - writing, exploration, gameplay, music - is great. It is particularly nice compared to agressively mediocre Avatar from Ubisoft, which may have had better graphics, but that is about the only thing that game had going for it.
Outcast has actual personality.
And frankly, it looks gorgeous too, while running at rock solid 60 with no stutter or framepacing issues (PC).
I just wish we could customize HUD more.

1013140-20240718234044-1.jpg

1013140-20240718204605-1.jpg

1013140-20240718232948-1.jpg

1013140-20240718141127-1.jpg

1013140-20240718141202-1.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Bought for 20 euros and yeah the game is fun and except for character models, it looks pretty great for a cheap AA.

I like the weapon mods thingy but they made the big mistake of giving the mines module in one of the first story missions so i only use that one in the rifle and it kinda trivialize every challenge even on hard, hopefully they are gonna introduce tougher enemies because having a challenge is what make progression meaningfull.

Except for the graphic, this is much better than ubisoft avatar.

The writing is funnier than i thought.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just played a bit on PC and am surprised that.....this game looks gorgeous? Especially the outdoor areas are fantastic. Enabled HDR through Nvidia and damn I am impressed. The performance is pretty solid too!
The gameplay is basically harkening back to PS3 era but I don't mind that. Looking forward to go ahead.

Denton

Finished it today. For me it was solid 8.5/10 - I really really enjoyed it, eventhough it is not perfect by any means. Some fairly small technical problems, like sound dropping out in some cutscenes and general lower framerate during cutscenes (30fps lock?). No crashes or significant bugs.
What annoys me a bit more are some story retcons in relation to the original game. Funnily enough it did not bother me when playing because I did not remember the first game in enough detail to notice, but now reading up, the retcons are pretty big.
But that is about the biggest flaw really, I enjoyed the dialogue and missions, the world, the traversal, the skill progression. Combat is simple and basic, but good enough.
Btw Cutter Slade is voiced by Luke Roberts, who also voices James in SH2 remake (and who starred in Black Sails). I really like him.

1013140-20240722230109-1.jpg

1013140-20240727142339-1.jpg
1013140-20240727105021-1.jpg

1013140-20240725193706-1.jpg

1013140-20240725194405-1.jpg

1013140-20240727175230-1.jpg

1013140-20240724184635-1.jpg

Last edited:
This game is great and on sale bump.

$30 (50% off)

$41.99 w/ PS+ (30% off)

Got the platinum a few weeks back. Total joy to play, the traversal with the jet pack is top shelf. Gunplay/combat feels like Ratchet and Clank. Super chill action/adventure. I liken it to an early-90s Mel Gibson action film. OST is classic Spielberg.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Picked it up on sale a couple weeks ago. Got side tracked by Astro Bot but I really liked what I played.

Top Bottom