• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minor league baseball team cancels Caucasian Heritage Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8eb4...aseball-team-cancels-caucasian-heritage-night

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A minor league baseball team in Utah has canceled a promotion called "Caucasian Heritage Night."

The Orem Owlz, a minor league affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels, had the promotion scheduled for Aug. 10.

The team said in a statement Friday that the promotion was planned as a joke with wonder bread on burgers with mayonnaise, clips of Friends and Seinfeld and an attempt to "solve the vertical leaping challenge."

"We understand, in light of recent tragic events, that our intentions have been misconstrued. For that, we sincerely apologize," the statement said.

The statement didn't elaborate on what led to the cancellation, though there was heavy criticism online and on social media in the hours leading up to the announcement.

Team spokeswoman Kristen Mortensen declined to comment Friday, referring questions to the statement.

The team website originally advertised the promotion as, "Irish, Italian, Scandinavian, German.... or even Utahn! Whatever your background, celebrate it at the Home of the Owlz!"

Orem is 40 miles south of Salt Lake City.
So edgy

The team said in a statement Friday that the promotion was planned as a joke with wonder bread on burgers with mayonnaise, clips of Friends and Seinfeld and an attempt to "solve the vertical leaping challenge."

Eddie-Murphy-Is-Not-Sure-About-His-Approval-Head-Nod.gif

AntoneM

What a terrible idea, at any time. They were trying to make it a joke, but, it's just a really terrible idea no matter what.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

this is actually kinda funny

Matty77

Not all white people like mayo, in fact I despise that shit and if you try calling that my heritage thems fighting words.

Piecake

What a bunch of morons. Does it really take much brainpower to realize that that just sounds bad? That if you just had a celebrate your heritage day, that 95% heritages being celebrated would have been European since this is Utah we are talking about?

I don't know about anyone else, but I consider my heritage to be American. I guess I am technically Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch and German (25% each), but I have no connection to those places. I mean, how the hell can I when its been 4 generations and I have 4 freakin heritages.

I actually don't have a problem with this if they changed the name. I hope this doesn't sound racist but I have no issue with this with how many place have African-American heritage nights. Why not have nights for other minorities in the country as well?

Dude Abides

Banned
I don't really see the problem with poking light hearted fun of stereotypes about white people (except for the corniness). It's not like they were gonna play ride of the Valkyries and have a reenactment of Columbus crossing the Atlantic.

Ovid

I actually don't have a problem with this if they changed the name. I hope this doesn't sound racist but I have no issue with this with how many place have African-American heritage nights. Why not have nights for other minorities in the country as well?
Welp.

The key words -- "I hope this doesn't sound racist but..."

RELAYER

Banned
I don't really see the problem with poking light hearted fun of stereotypes about white people. It's not like they were gonna play ride of the Valkyries and have a reenactment of Columbus crossing the Atlantic.

Fuck, we have to be ashamed of Ride of the Valkyries now too?

Fusebox

Banned
I dunno, this sounds almost self-deprecating enough to be acceptable, I don't think they laid it on thick enough though so the intent could be misconstrued.

It was cancelled and they apologized. You can fault them for the dumb idea in general but it's good they've acknowledged it was a bad idea.

sangreal

That's every other night. Regardless, this was a disparaging white heritage event -- not a genuine one. It would be like having a minstrel show and watermelon between innings for black history. White people should be offended, but to each their own

That's every other night. Regardless, this was a disparaging white heritage event -- not a genuine one. It would be like having a minstrel show and watermelon between innings for black history. White people should be offended, but to each their own
why on earth would anyone be offended at this

yeah, they're very clearly not doing this in a legitimate "why isn't there a white history month" kind of way

None of this self-depreciation stuff was on the promotion before news sites picked up on it.

Originally:

The Owlz' website advertises the event on its promotions page, advertising the night with the tagline "Irish, Italian, Scandinavian, German.... or even Utahn! Whatever your background, celebrate it at the Home of the Owlz!"

gdt

I go to five guys and I ask for mayo on my burger and they sure as fuck better put it on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom