• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minor league baseball team cancels Caucasian Heritage Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

Admirably ballsy

Tip - replace the mustard with peanut butter.

3LfR5hi.gif

I actually don't have a problem with this if they changed the name. I hope this doesn't sound racist but I have no issue with this with how many place have African-American heritage nights. Why not have nights for other minorities in the country as well?

You're forgetting that there are a variety of white specific heritage events throughout this country, that no one complains about. Italian American, Irish American, etc all have festivals and various events that celebrate their heritage. So when people claim there are no "white heritage" events they're bullshitting - and talking about something else.

Because they're mocking you with stereotypes? I think I spelled out pretty clearly why I would expect some people to be offended by this
I mean I get that we're extremely privileged to be able to just shrug off stereotypes like that due to a lack of a history of repression and whatnot...

but it's mayo

MIMIC

Banned
OK, I started reading and I thought it was pretty funny. Definitely not what I thought it was gonna be about.

nope. As a mayonnaise lover with heritage, i find this offensive

silence! I will not have you besmirching Mayo's good name and tastiness.
mayo and ketchup on a burger is great.

This is factually incorrect and I will fight you.

I mean, if y'all want to out yourselves as enemies of everything that is good and noble, I'm not going to stop you. I just ask that you not do it in front of the children.

Burt

This thread has clearly gravitated towards a more important issue and should have its title changed to reflect that.

I think we need a poll.

Valhelm

contribute something
Mayo is only good on tuna sandwiches or on burgers. But on burgers, it needs to be nothing more than a gossamer coating on the upper bun.

Fast food joints use waaay to much.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Not all white people like mayo, in fact I despise that shit and if you try calling that my heritage thems fighting words.

Rachel Dolezal's disdain for mayo drove her to abandon her race. In that context, it's totally understandable. Right, guys?

And I hate it too.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/sea/ticketing/special_events.jsp
Look at some of those. Italian heritage night, Filipino heritage night, Irish heritage night, etc. Why should I have a problem with any of these? Like I said, the name they chose is stupid, but the concept is fine.

Oh yeah, they definitely chose a stupid name, since Caucasian includes Arabs and North Africans. So, right off the bat we know the people doing this are pretty dumb. What they actually meant was, "white heritage night", so it was just funny to me that you said "why not for the other minorities?" I mean, I assume you know the difference between white and Italian, Filipino and Irish.

Try using your big people words next time.

Oooo yes, sir!

You're forgetting that there are a variety of white specific heritage events throughout this country, that no one complains about. Italian American, Irish American, etc all have festivals and various events that celebrate their heritage. So when people claim there are no "white heritage" events they're bullshitting - and talking about something else.

There's a difference. Irish and Italians are strong ethnic identities that are racial categories in and of themselves. The average White American doesn't know or doesn't practice their ethnic heritage (usually Germanic). So their identity is expressed through the pan-ethnic White identity. In an ideal World the pan-ethnic identity would be "American" and include any colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom