• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSter Pi MiSTer FPGA clone launches...so here's a build and review

VGEsoterica

and yes before you say it...MiSTer Pi? odd name indeed!

But for the longest time the only real barrier of entry into the MiSTer FPGA ecosystem has been the price. A full triple stack will run you near to $500 USD...which for what FPGA gaming offers is economical...but not "cheap". Which def limits the install base as not everyone has an expendable 500 in cash just chilling out...and add VAT to european countries and shipping...gets steep!

So Taki Udon, the YT handheld reviewer founded a company with some people and decided they could clone the Terasic DE-10 Nano (the "brains" of MiSTER) and ship a full triple stack for $160 USD...so basically $340+ cheaper than the next solution with Terasic made DE-10 boards...and they are putting the finishing touches on the site to start selling in the next couple days

So I did a full build and review. Unincentivized...I have nothing to do with the company, their success or their revenue...I am just the dude who does FPGA stuff online haha

So if you were waiting to see if its worth it....worth it!

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m really excited for everyone who will have a chance to get one of these at a decent price. I paid $600 for my MiSTer setup, and I absolutely LOVE it. For ~$150, it’s a no-brainer.

Just out of curiosity how commonly used are the Reset, OSD, and USER buttons? I don't think the A/V attachment is something I would ever use, but the bundle without it lacks those buttons and the LED indicators.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Someone @ me when the store goes live.

Also - does this "triple stack" thing have any sort of case or enclosure options? It looks like over the long term this would wear down quickly just all exposed like that.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just out of curiosity how commonly used are the Reset, OSD, and USER buttons? I don't think the A/V attachment is something I would ever use, but the bundle without it lacks those buttons and the LED indicators.
I never use mine. I kinda forgot those were even on the thing.

Dacvak

They can be useful in some instances
Yeah that’s true. I remember needing those buttons during some kind of setup, but that might be because I didn’t have a keyboard connected b

VGEsoterica

Yeah that’s true. I remember needing those buttons during some kind of setup, but that might be because I didn’t have a keyboard connected b
Yes if you don’t have a keyboard and you need to skip bindings in controller configs they are V useful

Dr.D00p

Bah..I'm not doing this mad rush, everything sold out within 0.002 nano seconds of launch.

It's undignified at my age.

I'll wait until the FOMO suckers have had their fill, gets restocked in 6mths and then peruse the site at my leisure whilst wearing my smoking jacket and slippers, drinking a nice cup of hot chocolate.

VGEsoterica

Bah..I'm not doing this mad rush, everything sold out within 0.002 nano seconds of launch.

It's undignified at my age.

I'll wait until the FOMO suckers have had their fill, gets restocked in 6mths and then peruse the site at my leisure whilst wearing my smoking jacket and slippers, drinking a nice cup of hot chocolate.
what no pipe that blows bubbles? and you call your self dignified!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
OK, I secured one!
2:00 AM here, hope it’ll be worth the wait and the expense.
Shipping and taxes adds almost 50% of the thing’s price, but what can you do? If I ordered a Mister from the UK it’d be much worse, anyway.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Sold out completely within 15 minutes. Cool for them... or not because they might have seriously misjudged the demand.

Sold out completely within 15 minutes. Cool for them... or not because they might have seriously misjudged the demand.
This first run was never meant to be the main batch to satisfy demand. There are multiple different models currently in development as well.

The other DE-10 Nano clones from QMTech looks are in stock on AliExpress for those who don't want to wait for the one from Taki to be available again... very small quantity available left though.

StereoVsn

This first run was never meant to be the main batch to satisfy demand. There are multiple different models currently in development as well.

The other DE-10 Nano clones from QMTech looks are in stock on AliExpress for those who don't want to wait for the one from Taki to be available again... very small quantity available left though.
QMTech isn’t bad but the board design doesn’t quite match.

And I unfortunately was a few min late so didn’t get the board. Here is hoping batch 2 will work better, but kind of doubt it since available unit numbers will be the same.

daffyduck

OK, I secured one!
2:00 AM here, hope it’ll be worth the wait and the expense.
Shipping and taxes adds almost 50% of the thing’s price, but what can you do? If I ordered a Mister from the UK it’d be much worse, anyway.
Which shipping, DHL or 4PX? Or are they both high?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Just get a Raspberry Pi, bro.
I have several devices than can handle emulation pretty well, mate. No need for an additional (and pretty puny at that) one.
And this one also has analogue video out.

Which shipping, DHL or 4PX? Or are they both high?
DHL for additional peace of mind (I know, it’s no guarantee).
DHL cost me double ($35 vs $18), but I told myself, at this point, what’s twenty more bucks in the grand scheme of things?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
from what I know there will be multiple batches beyond batch 1 and 2 so I am sure stock will eventually regulate
I hope so! I missed the first batch and hope I don't miss the second one, though it seems that one is likely to also sell out quickly.

shoplifter

Had one in my cart at 8pm and balked on it, should have just bought it since it seems to so far have the VGEsoterica VGEsoterica and PCN seal of approval . Guess I'll try tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Killer8

Getting one of these. The MiSTer was just too expensive for me but this is priced perfectly. Way more elegant way to play retro games on my CRT than emulation or having a dozen consoles modded and hooked up.

shoplifter

I sure as shit didn't because I had a puking kid! Guess I'll shoot for the next batch. If nothing else I guess that lets me see how many units are faulty and any other potential issues that haven't been seen yet.

jshackles

In for whatever batch is required for me not to have to camp out at my computer at weird times and hope I catch it in the 10–15 minutes it takes to sell out.

Top Bottom