• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mitsubishi is killing off the Lancer Evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...lancer-evolution-production-another-potential

Mitsubishi Motors Corp. will pull the plug on the Lancer Evolution, the brand’s all-wheel-drive performance sedan, at the end of the nameplate’s current generation.

The move, which eliminates the company’s last sporty offering in the United States, comes as Mitsubishi shifts its global lineup toward utility vehicles and electrified cars.

A spokeswoman would not say when Mitsubishi would stop building the Lancer-based car, but it won’t introduce a successor to the current generation, which is in its 10th iteration. The Evolution nameplate debuted in 1992; the latest version arrived in 2007.

Mitsubishi did not say whether it was planning another vehicle to plug the performance-car gap. But it left the door open for a spiritual successor powered at least partly by batteries.

“Mitsubishi Motors does not have any plans to design a successor with the current concept, as a high-performance four-wheel drive gasoline-powered sedan,” spokeswoman Namie Koketsu said, describing the car as having “icon” status. “Mitsubishi Motors will explore the possibilities of high-performance models that incorporate electric vehicle technology.”

Dropping the Evolution was foreshadowed last fall when President Osamu Masuko unveiled a new mid-term business plan that would deprioritize in-house sedans and explore sourcing them through joint projects with the Renault-Nissan Alliance.

He said Mitsubishi’s strength lies in pickups, crossovers and SUVs. He was noncommittal about the Evolution and said the company had to go “back to basics” and follow volume cars.

“We have to prioritize,” Masuko told Automotive News in a December interview. “When you consider Mitsubishi's size and management resources, we can't do everything on our own.”

The loss of the Evolution shrinks an already small lineup for U.S. dealers, who battle a dearth of fresh offerings, especially in the sedan segment. It also marks a departure for Mitsubishi, which once built a reputation as a purveyor of tech-savvy performance cars such as the Evolution, Eclipse and 3000GT.

Mitsubishi, riding record profits after years of losses, aims to lift global sales 29 percent to 1.43 million vehicles in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2017, from the 1.11 million it expects to have sold in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014.

Over that period, Mitsubishi plans to launch a raft of new or refreshed global SUVs, vans and crossovers. Mitsubishi will trim two vehicle platforms from its nine-platform lineup, and reduce its product portfolio to 13 models from 18.

In sedans, Mitsubishi aims to farm out assembly to other companies so it can focus its r&d budget on utility vehicles and electrified drivetrains. Part of that plan entails selling a Renault-based mid-sized car in the United States. The car will be the first of two Renault-based sedans sold by Mitsubishi under the product and technology exchange.

The company will also push electrified drivetrains in a bid to make 20 percent of its vehicle output either all-electric or plug-in hybrid by 2020.

so yeah... mitsubishi is pretty much done in the US.

no wonder the new sti looks quite a bit like a evo...

2015-Subaru-WRX-STI-3%5B2%5D.jpg

MilkBeard

Damn, that sucks.

I used to have a 1st gen Eclipse GSX, it was a nice, fun little car for cheap. Mitsu turned the Eclipse to shit, and now the Evo is gone.

Swig_

I don't understand why they never had two models, like the WRX and STI. They would have sold a lot more Evos if they weren't all the equivalent of the STI.

Snakepit

Damn this sucks I loved the Evo 8 but the Evo 10 wasn't doing it for me, I was hoping the next gen of Evo would spark the fire again between that Subaru and Evo rivalry.

witness

My 2013 Genesis turbo coupe actually has a Evo engine, great motor. That car was so influential on people like me who grew up playing Gran Turismo on PSX. I was so excited when they finally released it here in America 11 years ago. A classic bites the dust and Subaru wins.

kagete

I thought long and hard about buying an X a few years ago, having lusted over one most my teenage life, but couldn't pull the trigger. I'm too much of a practical cheapskate to ever buy one, even used, but I'll forever hold these as the gold standard for "affordable" grail cars.

If the next one is indeed a hybrid and around the same price it'll be really interesting though!

Malvolio

Mits quality level has always been suspect to me. I enjoyed my 97 GSX, but I vowed never to go back to them. Not surprised to see them falling off.

I thought long and hard about buying an X a few years ago, having lusted over one most my teenage life, but couldn't pull the trigger. I'm too much of a practical cheapskate to ever buy one, even used, but I'll forever hold these as the gold standard for "affordable" grail cars.

If the next one is indeed a hybrid and around the same price it'll be really interesting though!

I'm of the same mind, not that I can even afford one.

What primarily appeals to me are the looks but when i get right down to it, I would never utilize even 1/3 of this car's full capability. I'm never going to take it to the track, I don't drive recklessly, I live in an area with calm weather year round so I don't need all-wheel drive. Freeway on-ramps would be the only thing I can think of where I'd even get a glimpse of the car's potential.

I'd be better served just getting a Lancer, but the thought of it not being an Evo would always nag at me.

TheMan

i guess this makes it official, but i think it was already widely known that the evo as we know it was done for. i'm excited to see what it's spiritual successor will look like, and I'm also curious to see how subaru will react. the STi is getting long in the tooth and from what i understand, the sti and wrx are getting too close in performance to justify the price difference. will subaru follow mitsubishi's lead and dump the sti or will they innovate?

:( This is sad, guys. It was great to see Japan bring over the Evo and the STi to our shores. Now that they're killing off this model, I am pretty bummed.

lem0n

High ups at Mitsubishi:

"Guys, so we make one great car. It's not hugely popular, but has a great following. It still sells pretty well. It's got the technology, the design, the performance. All we need to do is just refine it and fix what customers might complain about. Keep it going with small improvements and let the money roll in...

...Actually, let's kill it altogether and just sell Endeavors and Galants. Yeah that's totally a better idea."

This is why Mitsubishi only has 5 years MAX in the US market. It will be going the way of Suzuki and Peugeot. Good riddance, I say. Actually, give us Suzuki back and you can have Mitsu.

kagete

I'm of the same mind, not that I can even afford one.

What primarily appeals to me are the looks but when i get right down to it, I would never utilize even 1/3 of this car's full capability. I'm never going to take it to the track, I don't drive recklessly, I live in an area with calm weather year round so I don't need all-wheel drive. Freeway on-ramps would be the only thing I can think of where I'd even get a glimpse of the car's potential.

I'd be better served just getting a Lancer, but the thought of it not being an Evo would always nag at me.

Yeah, and having only lived in the US for a few years then, my insurance estimates would have been anything from $300 to $450 a month. I lived 6 miles away from work and drive like a granny.

Madness

Basically comes down to maximizing profit in the long run. Most of these companies don't really care about the industry, just how to make as much money for as little as possible.

That being said, Mitsubishi just couldn't compete on this front much anymore. Uncle used to have an old model Eclipse, the one before the last two redesigns, used to drive the hell out of it, learned how to drive standard on it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is why Mitsubishi only has 5 years MAX in the US market. It will be going the way of Suzuki and Peugeot. Good riddance, I say. Actually, give us Suzuki back and you can have Mitsu.
If they do pull out, my town is 25% fucked. I really gotta get out of here.

My first car was a 2003 Lancer. It wasn't an Evo but man did I love that car. I have to say later on in its life it started to develop a lot of problems and was not built to withstand the weather and roads of Pennsylvania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom