• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: New Zelda is very far in developement

SantaC

Well since the last thread was misleading and fb. I decided to post some minor zelda tidbits in this one.

Miyamoto on new Zelda

One of my ideas in Wind Waker was a kind of more simplified control for the game which was kind of tied to the graphic style and the theme of that game. One thing that we're doing right now as we go forward and look at how we're going to show Link in his more grown-up role, is asking what kind of a control scheme we can implement that's going to reflect that more mature Link.

Obviously everybody wants us to show things as early as we possibly can. You know, as much as we would like to show things at a very late stage, we don't always have that opportunity. And, of course, if we wait until everything's done before we show it off, then I don't get a chance to upend the tea table and turn the tables on everybody. This game is going to be launching in 2005, so I'll hope you'll all understand that while the game is very far along at this point we're not going to be revealing a whole lot of details about it until maybe next year's E3.

Over the last eighteen years,we see a lot of the same gameplay styles used throughout the series. While that's needed to remain true to the franchise, at the same time I'd like to see a lot of new ideas implemented, especially in the realm of puzzle solving and that sort of thing.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/shigeru-miyamoto/

AniHawk

While that's needed to remain true to the franchise, at the same time I'd like to see a lot of new ideas implemented, especially in the realm of puzzle solving and that sort of thing.

One of the things I was specifically hoping for, but the rest sounds like a taped recording.

Deku Tree

I liked the controls in Wind Waker. I wonder what they're gong to do to the control scheme for a teen-aged link. Would they dare include a jump button?

I've yet to see or hear anything about this new game that has me frothing like everyone else seems to be for it.

I hope their openness to going back to cel-shaded means they'll actually do it at some point. And not for another franchise or on handhelds only -- as seems to be the "bad-ass" brigade mantra.

Thom

The latest comments about Zelda seem to indicate that a more complex fighting system will be implimented. Hopefully something a little more freeform allowing for custom combos and such. Reggie also made it sound like this game will be gigantic. Probably many times bigger than OOT, MM, or WW. I could definitely go for some new type of puzzles too. It's all sounding great so far.

Oni Link 666 said:
The latest comments about Zelda seem to indicate that a more complex fighting system will be implimented. Hopefully something a little more freeform allowing for custom combos and such. Reggie also made it sound like this game will be gigantic. Probably many times bigger than OOT, MM, or WW. I could definitely go for some new type of puzzles too. It's all sounding great so far.

For the sake of your own enjoyment when it comes, I wouldn't hype it up that much unless they actually say those things. We've heard no specifics about size, new fighting systems or anything of the sort yet. Just the vague tidbits they're allowed to disclose.

W8 4 E3!

radioheadrule83 said:
For the sake of your own enjoyment when it comes, I wouldn't hype it up that much unless they actually say those things. We've heard no specifics about size, new fighting systems or anything of the sort yet. Just the vague tidbits they're allowed to disclose.

W8 4 E3!

Maybe you haven't been paying much attention to the latest comments from Nintendo on Zelda? Now, I am merely sepeculating on the vague info that's been released, but it all seems very likely.

From Miyamoto.
One of my ideas in Wind Waker was a kind of more simplified control for the game which was kind of tied to the graphic style and the theme of that game. One thing that we're doing right now as we go forward and look at how we're going to show Link in his more grown-up role, is asking what kind of a control scheme we can implement that's going to reflect that more mature Link.

Over the last eighteen years,we see a lot of the same gameplay styles used throughout the series. While that's needed to remain true to the franchise, at the same time I'd like to see a lot of new ideas implemented, especially in the realm of puzzle solving and that sort of thing.

From Reggie.
PRINCESSZELDA789: Hey Reggie! I was just wondering what you think of the new GCN Zelda that's coming out next year.
NOA_REGGIE: The new GCN Zelda will undoubtedly be the biggest console game of 2005.
NOA_REGGIE: That's because it will leverage everything that makes Zelda unique...
NOA_REGGIE: plus have the more mature Link and new fighting abilities to appeal to even the most jaded hard-core gamer.
NOA_REGGIE: So, based on everything I've seen, the game will be just HUGE.

Alex

It's far along, yet they're not even going to be showing it off for the most part until E3?

Wind Waker was gorgeous, fuck the "bad art" detractors, but it was kiddie as hell, although that had nothing to do with the artstyle, IMO. And more to do with the extreme lack of challenge, depth and progression in the franchise. It was a good game, but that tied in with the severe lack of game, and horrific exploration methods made it one of the weakest Zelda's ever, IMO.

I just hope they drop the win button mentality with Zelda rather than look to make it mature through catering to 14 year old children and frothing fanboys alike by simply changing the artwork. Zelda owns, but WW was the epitome of

That said, I'd give anything for someone to tape Reggie's dumbass mouth shut. I used to think douches like Rubin and Itagaki were annoying, but holy hell.

Isn't this interview from E3 in may?

Next Level 08/20/2004:

Miyamoto: How do you know that horse was Epona? Unfortunately I can't reveal all that at this point in time, please wait just a little bit longer.

TNL: The graphics are beautiful. Are you guys going to be carrying over that presentation throughout the game so that we have major cut scenes and major story sequences with voice work?

Miyamoto: I actually don't want Link to talk very much. Maybe I'll record my own voice and we'll use that as Link's voice. [Laughs.] Or maybe you can record your own voice and play that. But then, you know how to speak English.

IGN 05/12/2004
http://cube.ign.com/articles/514/514589p2.html

Eiji Aonuma: How do you know that horse was Epona [smiles]? Unfortunately I cannot reveal all of that at this point in time. Please wait a little while longer.

Q: The graphics in the game are beautiful. Will the game feature high production values throughout? To be more specific, will we see detailed cinematics, major story developments and will characters speak with acted voices?

Shigeru Miyamoto: I actually don't want Link to talk very much. Maybe I'll record my own voice for when he talks, or maybe you can record your own voice [laughs].

human5892

Queen of Denmark
solarplexus said:
Isn't this interview from E3 in may?

Next Level 08/20/2004:

Miyamoto: How do you know that horse was Epona? Unfortunately I can't reveal all that at this point in time, please wait just a little bit longer.

TNL: The graphics are beautiful. Are you guys going to be carrying over that presentation throughout the game so that we have major cut scenes and major story sequences with voice work?

Miyamoto: I actually don't want Link to talk very much. Maybe I'll record my own voice and we'll use that as Link's voice. [Laughs.] Or maybe you can record your own voice and play that. But then, you know how to speak English.

IGN 05/12/2004
http://cube.ign.com/articles/514/514589p2.html

Eiji Aonuma: How do you know that horse was Epona [smiles]? Unfortunately I cannot reveal all of that at this point in time. Please wait a little while longer.

Q: The graphics in the game are beautiful. Will the game feature high production values throughout? To be more specific, will we see detailed cinematics, major story developments and will characters speak with acted voices?

Shigeru Miyamoto: I actually don't want Link to talk very much. Maybe I'll record my own voice for when he talks, or maybe you can record your own voice [laughs].
What the hell? Did Next Level just blatantly plagerize this interview?

Those questions and answers are EXTREMELY similar.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Plus, Miyamoto knows how to speak english, too. I glanced over this interview, and it all sounded VERY familiar, like I've read it before. I haven't lookedat the IGN review again, yet, but from what I'm hearing, it's just a plagarized version of the IGN interview.

doncale

Banned
Zelda is probably my most anticipated current-gen console game that has been announced, that is in development. not counting games that i wish would be made. i'll have to wait for more details on Phantasy Star Universe to come out. if PSU is in fact PSV, then that will bump the new Zelda out of the top spot for me. As for Zelda itself, I hope it is indeed many times larger than OOT. that's by far the biggest & more exciting thing for me, aside from the fact that this Zelda is darker, more mature, and very very loosely based on the concept of the SW2000 Zelda demo.

human5892 said:

I think it's from the E3 roundable because several websites are reporting the same sentences.

next level:
The following is composed of part of two sit-down interviews and a roundtable discussion with Mr. Miyamoto.

So the roundtable was maybe at E3 as these parts of the interview are very old. But the rest ("two sit-down interviews") seems to be new.

snapty00

Banned
Insertia said:
Less puzzles, more exploration and fun.

OoT was pretty boring because 90% of it was puzzle solving.
Agreed. Sometimes, puzzles can even be just frustrating, because I'll spend 30 minutes on one puzzle merely because I didn't see a switch or something that was on a ceiling. Stuff like that is just annoying, not rewarding.

Besides, once you've completed a puzzle, it's not fun to replay again since you know what to do. With action, on the other hand, there might be a thousand different ways to do something, and you can always improve your performance. There are usually a limited number of ways to complete puzzles, though.

I'm glad that theyre thinking of new puzzles because I've seen them all before.

Players who started playing Zelda with Ocarina thought Wind Waker was easy not only because of how invincible Link was - but because its the same torch lighting, block pushing stuff they've done in the first two games they've played. I've been doing it for a decade of Zelda games... I still love the Zelda games regardless, but if there's one area I'd love to see renewed its this.

radioheadrule83 said:
I'm glad that theyre thinking of new puzzles because I've seen them all before.

Players who started playing Zelda with Ocarina thought Wind Waker was easy not only because of how invincible Link was - but because its the same torch lighting, block pushing stuff they've done in the first two games they've played. I've been doing it for a decade of Zelda games... I still love the Zelda games regardless, but if there's one area I'd love to see renewed its this.

IAWTP. I have to admit I hadn't really played a Zelda game until Ocarina of Time and I have the same problems with WW.

Can't wait for this game.

Deku Tree

human5892 said:

It's looks to me to be almost verbatim text for alot of both interviews. Funny how IGN credits different people for saying things while TNL always says it's just Miyamoto speaking.

But on the other hand the IGN e3 discussion (http://cube.ign.com/articles/514/514589p1.html) wasn't an exclusive interview, it was a press Q&A:

After the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2004 shut down Wednesday night, Nintendo held a private roundtable that focused on its upcoming GameCube adventure The Legend of Zelda. The game's producers Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma talked about the project and then fielded questions from the press.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't even know why I bother even wondering about this game, I'm kinda sold on it no matter what. They could add a brand new fighting system and I would be very happy, or they could not and I would still end up happy if the past is any indication. Meh, Nintendo can do whatever the hell they want. I seem to buy Zelda no matter what...glad to hear thats its far along though. Won't have to worry about delays. Get this baby out the door fast, Nintendo.

NOA_REGGIE: plus have the more mature Link and new fighting abilities to appeal to even the most jaded hard-core gamer.
NOA_REGGIE: So, based on everything I've seen, the game will be just HUGE.

Reggie is saying that the game will be HUGE as in "very popular with hardcore gamers", not HUGE as in "large in scope/size." No word on the lattter, yet.

Gamedude

Please Miyamoto, make this new Zelda much harder than Zelda: TWW was, or at least some sort of difficulty grade where you can choose between: easy, normal or hard.
Zelda: TWW was a great game but god it was way too easy...

snapty00 said:
Agreed. Sometimes, puzzles can even be just frustrating, because I'll spend 30 minutes on one puzzle merely because I didn't see a switch or something that was on a ceiling. Stuff like that is just annoying, not rewarding.

Besides, once you've completed a puzzle, it's not fun to replay again since you know what to do. With action, on the other hand, there might be a thousand different ways to do something, and you can always improve your performance. There are usually a limited number of ways to complete puzzles, though.

TEH WEAKSAUCE!!!!!!

Ocarina of Time was a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. Anyone complaining about zelda puzzles obviouly doesn't know their way on videogames. The puzzles in zelda games have always set the standards for any lesser games that follow it. That is simply a fact.

Can't wait! I want this game more than anything else.
#2 is Halo 2
Then Metal Gear Solid 3, Metroid Prime 2 and Resident Evil 4, Gran Turismo 4... in no particular order.

snapty00

Banned
huzkee said:
TEH WEAKSAUCE!!!!!!

Ocarina of Time was a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. Anyone complaining about zelda puzzles obviouly doesn't know their way on videogames. The puzzles in zelda games have always set the standards for any lesser games that follow it. That is simply a fact.
The puzzles were the main reason -- if not the only reason -- why Ocarina of Time sucked. I liked Ocarina of Time for the combat system and the way the items were used (and, of course, the awesome graphics at the time), but I didn't like the puzzles. The puzzles themselves were really, really easy; the hard part was seeing a fucking switch among a pile of stretched textures or looking in the most obscure places for objects. After going "Oh, there's that switch!" in dungeons for the 15th or so time, the game became a snorefest.

Older Zelda games, like The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past, weren't like that. I liked how everything was easy to see and out-in-the-open. I still wasn't a big fan of the puzzles (they provided no replay value), but at least they forced me to use my brain rather than test the quality of my eyesight and my ability to look in weird places for switches.

The only puzzle that was even memorable to me in Ocarina of Time was one where Link had to put together a picture by moving blocks around and do so in a limited amount of time.

Alex

Oracle of Ages > Majora > Ocarina. I'm starting to think my triology of favorite Zelda games will never change, Drinky knows what's up. :p

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Wow, you guys are awesome at the my opinion is fact dance. Could never quite master it myself, I've got two left feet and a brain.

AssMan

Banned
All i want in this Zelda game is some unique art for the villages, characters, bosses, etc..I want some really bizarre art style too. Maybe like Link goes to a parallel world of Hyrule, but it's a very Tim Burton like word.

SantaC

AssMan said:
All i want in this Zelda game is some unique art for the villages, characters, bosses, etc..I want some really bizarre art style too. Maybe like Link goes to a parallel world of Hyrule, but it's a very Tim Burton like word.

IAWTP. you mean world ? :D

actually WW had a couple of very lateral thinking puzzles in them - the partnering / ico system they implemented (with wicked dungeon music) made the ones they had in WW really great to play through - the only pity was that there was so litte.

The dungeon with Medli and the 2 mirrors was really well done - Nintendo's Zelda dungeon design are very often top notch - and you have to admire the maze design; you always end up right near where you should after you'd picked up whatever tool you have to get in the dungeon; not much backtracking - right to the boss. Not many games get this right.

The new play mechanics for the next Zelda sounds great - Just hope it doesn't change too much. I wonder what they could possibly add? They zelda games are almost perfect as is.

AniHawk

I think combat was an area Nintendo really needed to improve in Ocarina in Time (it worked, but it wasn't anything superspecial [talking using JUST the sword]). Was improved greatly in TWW. I would, as someone else has suggested already, using the C-stick to control the sword, though that rips off MGS2. Maybe there could be actual swordfights. Doesn't looke like- from the limited gameplay we've witnessed thus far- that the swordplay has changed much at all though.

The puzzles in Ocarina (and MM) were pretty damn good. You actually had to think in the game. However, after MM (which had brilliant dungeons, though there were only few), and TWW (which had some new things, but not a whole lot), they've been getting old.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
SantaCruZer said:
:)

Top Bottom