• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '08 The Show NOG GAF League Thread

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
**** OPENING DAY IS HERE ****

The league is now active. The following is the first series schedule:

Cle @ Atl - Ramirez VS. GCQuinton
Ana @ Bos - Shawn VS Scar
Sea @ Hou - DMczaf VS Matrix
Cubs @ Mil - MrBob VS kbear
Det @ NYM - DenogginzerOS VS LJ11
Min @ NYY - Miguel VS Cloudy
Col @ Phi - Core407 VS Zep
LAD @ Tor - FMT VS Dez

You have 5 days to play 3 games. Good luck and have fun!

GAF ID | PSN ID

Kbear | hippopotamus
LJ11 | LJ11
Konex | cloudystrife
Ramirez | TJRamirez
DenogginizerOS | Denogginizer
Dez | dezed
Miguel | mmolinajr
Matrix | matrixadw
Mr.Bob | MrBob2k7
GCQuinton | Wsv771
FMT | FrenchMov
Core407 | Runner45
DMczaf | dmczaf
Shawn | ProfessaSkillz
Zep | BigZep
Scar | TheInfectedScar

Please, send me a PM via GAF or via AIM (Magnoggin) if you need help contacting someone. In addition, can you all send me your AIM ID's so I can put you all on my MLB 08 Buddy list? Thanks.

LJ11

Cool, thanks for putting in the time Denog. I may be able to get our game in tonight around 10pm est, is that good for you? If not, I'm pretty much free tomorrow.

AIM=LJ11370

DenogginizerOS

LJ11 said:
Cool, thanks for putting in the time Denog. I may be able to get our game in tonight around 10pm est, is that good for you? If not, I'm pretty much free tomorrow.

AIM=LJ11370
I think I can go if we start right at 10 EST.

LJ11

DenogginizerOS said:
I think I can go if we start right at 10 EST.

I'll be ready to go right after the Rangers/Flyers game, should end around 9:30 or so, but you never know. I'll AIM you as soon as it's over.

kbear

mrbob2k7, i'm ready whenever... just say a time and i can probably make it. free all day tomorrow also

dez if you see this let me know when you can play. i can play a game or two right now if you're around, but i can't play later tonight. let me know!

p.s. post your AIMs

mine is whossorrynow015

Mrbob

I'll have some free time between 5-7PM central tommorrow Kbear.

Then I'm also free during the morning on Thursday.

Dez

FrenchMovieTheme said:
dez if you see this let me know when you can play. i can play a game or two right now if you're around, but i can't play later tonight. let me know!

p.s. post your AIMs

mine is whossorrynow015

I can play one game now Frenchmov.. i don't have aim though.. i have ICQ, i guess i could fire that up, i think it's integrated with AIM.

kbear

Mrbob said:
I'll have some free time between 5-7PM central tommorrow Kbear.

Then I'm also free during the morning on Thursday.
it's a date.. i'll go on 5:30 your time tomorrow

Dez

FrenchMovieTheme said:
another fucking system update!?

holy shit i hate psn!

ill be there in a min dez, sorry :(

looks like the game stalled at the ready to play screen? not sure what happened.

GCQuinton

Ramirez said:
GG Quinton...some really boneheaded fielding errors by the game for you it seemed. =\

Yeah, that and I never could get my online timing down at bat which just made me look stupid. You free around the same time tomorrow?

Dez

GG frenchmovie.. i can't believe i gave that game up, halladay was dealing except some mistakes to andruw.. it all fell apart for me when you stole on that pitchout. Damn gregg zaun.

Ramirez

GCQuinton said:
Yeah, that and I never could get my online timing down at bat which just made me look stupid. You free around the same time tomorrow?

I get off work around 9 EST tomorrow, so yea give or take 30 minutes I'm here.

I was laughing my ass off when you hit Delluci, I'm assuming that wasn't an accident. :lol

Hot/Cold zones are lame, btw. :p

Nog said:
It makes pitching more predictable. People typically pitch away from the hot zones and thus give hitters fewer places to cover. Having them 'off' balances things out by forcing people to learn where to and where not to pitch batters and batters have to know what their wheelhouse is.

I am at work now. I will try to start the league as soon as I get home today (530EST) if not sooner.

Though it's a moot point now that your stealth edit is in and the league is started, I strongly disagree.

This does nothing but put both the batter and the pitcher at a disadvantage. In real life, pitchers know where batter's hot and cold spots are just like a batter knows what his hot and cold spots are. To suggest that I should spend time playing offline games to memorize where hot and cold areas are for both my team and my opposition is crazy. If I'm a hitter and I want to sit on pitches waiting it to hover in my hot zone, it should be my choice. On the reverse, it should be my choice to aim for areas where batters are weak. There is nothing wrong with trying to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses (e.g. slow corner in Madden, small center in basketball etc....)

If the majority of the league is cool with it, I'm fine with it. But...I do have a problem with you taking it upon yourself to make that change without opening up discussion for the rest of our community to reach a consensus. Not cool at all....

yeah gg dez, you had me shut down for the mosot part. i think i struck out 12 times, but thanks to andruw i was able to stay in it. i left a lot of runners stranded on my own accord but that one play that i popped foul with 2 strikes and they called me out! BS! runner on 3rd with 1 out.

oh well, i was lucky to win that.

on an unrelated note, is there no individual player stat tracking!?

DenogginizerOS

Shawnwhann said:
Though it's a moot point now that your stealth edit is in and the league is started, I strongly disagree.

This does nothing but put both the batter and the pitcher at a disadvantage. In real life, pitchers know where batter's hot and cold spots are just like a batter knows what his hot and cold spots are. To suggest that I should spend time playing offline games to memorize where hot and cold areas are for both my team and my opposition is crazy. If I'm a hitter and I want to sit on pitches waiting it to hover in my hot zone, it should be my choice. On the reverse, it should be my choice to aim for areas where batters are weak. There is nothing wrong with trying to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses (e.g. slow corner in Madden, small center in basketball etc....)

If the majority of the league is cool with it, I'm fine with it. But...I do have a problem with you taking it upon yourself to make that change without opening up discussion for the rest of our community to reach a consensus. Not cool at all....
Hit [select].

And there was no discussion one way or the other for the first league. Instead of being a cantankerous whiner Shawn, why didn't you step up and run the league? If you don't like it, then kindly leave because I don't want hear your whining.

LJ11

Denog, this game is running longer than expected and may be headed to overtime, I probably won't make a 10pm sharp game. I'll be free tomorrow though, and will probably be able to get more than one game in.

DenogginizerOS

LJ11 said:
Denog, this game is running longer than expected and may be headed to overtime, I probably won't make a 10pm sharp game. I'll be free tomorrow though, and will probably be able to get more than one game in.
Just IM me when it is done. I will make the decision then. I have a long day in the lab tomorrow so I don't want to go too late.

LJ11

DenogginizerOS said:
Just IM me when it is done. I will make the decision then. I have a long day in the lab tomorrow so I don't want to go too late.

Aimed you about 10 minutes ago, no response.

Dez

How come I can't click the left analog to see the swing analysis? Is that a side effect of turning guess pitch off or something?

Ramirez

Dez said:
How come I can't click the left analog to see the swing analysis? Is that a side effect of turning guess pitch off or something?

If you're talking about the too late, too slow, etc. I do believe it's connected to guess pitch.

DenogginizerOS said:
Hit [select].

And there was no discussion one way or the other for the first league. Instead of being a cantankerous whiner Shawn, why didn't you step up and run the league? If you don't like it, then kindly leave because I don't want hear your whining.

Nice...instead of being an adult about the situation; you go ahead and make a baseless personal attack. Not wholly unexpected given our history; but dissapointing nonetheless. I didnt step up to run the league because I don't have time... Is it unfair to expect that this league should have mirrored the rules of the original league? Is it unfair to assume any changes that are contrary to the default would be administered to the community? Is it unfair to expect a commissioner to have a certain level of neutrality? Don't forget this is the league Zep started and the only reason you have the ball is because Sony Sports dropped theirs... So I'll "whine" whenever I feel compelled to. So go ahead and boot me......oh yeah you can't...

Just like I have to live with you "running" the league; you'll have to deal with me "whining" about your lack of consideration for the league Zep rallied us behind.....

Zep

Banned
Chill guys...There's gonna be no quitting or kicking people out here. Blame me for the lack of communication for the settings that are in place...

DenogginizerOS

I apologize to those who wanted Hot Zones on. I did not try to slip this by. The settings I chose for the league are the settings I always play with and are the settings I have used when playing others in the league. I have every intention of being a fair and neutral commissioner and am very excited about the upcoming season. I honestly did not think it would be an issue and as I said earlier, I apologize to those who wanted them on.

Shawn,

I apologize for calling you a cantankerous whiner. I will do my best to meet all the needs of everyone in the league as the season progresses. I am making every effort to make this league run smoothly and will do so until it finishes.

DenogginizerOS said:
I apologize to those who wanted Hot Zones on. I did not try to slip this by. The settings I chose for the league are the settings I always play with and are the settings I have used when playing others in the league. I have every intention of being a fair and neutral commissioner and am very excited about the upcoming season. I honestly did not think it would be an issue and as I said earlier, I apologize to those who wanted them on.

Shawn,

I apologize for calling you a cantankerous whiner. I will do my best to meet all the needs of everyone in the league as the season progresses. I am making every effort to make this league run smoothly and will do so until it finishes.

Much appreciated, let's move on and play ball....

Mrbob

Cloudy said:
Welcome to sweepsville, Miguel. Population YOU! :D

Mig, how could you?!?! :lol Time to leave this league with your head down in shame!

511032227_5fc26b2906_o.gif

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
How long do we have to get these 3 games in? im pretty sick right now

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Thanks,I should be well in a couple more days *knocks on wood*

Mrbob

Possibly. I probably only have time for one game tonight though.

I'll be home in about an hour and 45 minutes.

DenogginizerOS

Shawnwhann said:
Infected Scar, what's good baby?!? When do you think we can play our games?
I left a message on his cell phone to get in touch with you. He is usually free from about 6PM til about 10PM EST.

EDIT: He is on now (7:50PM EST) and will be on for the next 30 minutes. His laptop died and he is currently without a PC. If not tonight, he can play tomorrow night form 7PM EST on til at least 10PM EST. Send me an IM if you need to contact him and I can call him on my cell.

kbear

I posted a message on the BBS with the subject "Trash Talk" and instead of saying that it says "***** ****"... weird

Mrbob said:
Ok this is retarded.

How do you play a league game? Do you challenge from the league lobby?
In the box below the standings where it should've said "Hit square to play Mrbob2k7", it said you were offline, despite your glove icon showing in the standings box above.

So I logged out of Sports Connect and logged back in and then it showed the "hit square to challenge" prompt. So if that happens to anyone else, just log out and back in and it'll work.

Top Bottom