• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '08 The Show NOG GAF League Thread

Mrbob

Kbear we got one shot to get this done today. :p

I'll be home around 5:15 central, and I'll delay heading out to finish my league games but we need to be able to play them around then. Otherwise we'll have to take our chances tommorrow and see what happens.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DM YOU AROUND!?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
He cant handle being swept... :(

oh well,back to Hot Shots Golf it is.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The first week ends around 12:30 EST today. I am not sure if it will give those who haven't played a chance to play or not. There is an "unresolved games" tab that I think will give me some options. I will not advance the league until everyone plays (if I have that option) but please, try to get your games in today as soon as possible.

On a different note, make sure that if your opponent's pause clock runs out that you DO NOT hit "x" on the controller to force them to forfeit. The screen pops up fast and if you hit 'x" it is an instant loss for your opponent. Since some games could go into extra innings and this might happen, I would hate to see someone get a loss like this.

And to clarify, I cannot reset games as commisioner so if a network error occurs or a forfeit accidentally happens, there is no way for me to undo this. I sure hope Sony works on this for next year's version of MLB.

DenogginizerOS

Ok. There are 5 unresolved games [MrBob/kbear (2), BigZep/Runner45 (2), DMCZAF/Matrix (1)]

When are you guys planning on playing these games?

Matrix

No clue,Dm has vanished.

I thought we were going to play all our games Friday and Saturday.

Matrix

Miguel said:
I wonder who was the first group to finish their series was? Oh. That's right.

You destroyed the first league,it was smart of you to finish first :lol

dudes wtf, play your games! i was going to be able to get my games done today since i have the day off but now i can't because of laggers!

madden is spinning in his grave

Mrbob

Did Kbear get banned?

I haven't seen him on in a couple days. He doesn't use AIM either so this is my only means of communication with him.

DenogginizerOS

Mrbob said:
Did Kbear get banned?

I haven't seen him on in a couple days. He doesn't use AIM either so this is my only means of communication with him.
I could resolve your games with you as the winner...

the problem with not advancing the league is that you're causing issues for everyone else so a handful of people can get their games in.

i feel like we should have a strict schedule, and if someone can't play for whatever reason, then they forefit those games. i was prepared to forefit my first 3 games b/c i was out of town, shouldn't be different for anyone else. i know things come up and i'm not saying other things dont take higher priority, obviously they do. but lets say we dont advance the league today, and these games aren't played. then they aren't played tomorrow, then they aren't played tuesday, then we're turning the 5 day period into a 10 day period, and we're turning a 3 month league into a 5 month league.

i say with the # of games that we play, we stick to a strict schedule and if a series isn't done, the person who is lagging gets the loss. if neither person is lagging then come to a decision by splitting the series 1-1 and then flipping for the final game or something.

DenogginizerOS

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the problem with not advancing the league is that you're causing issues for everyone else so a handful of people can get their games in.

i feel like we should have a strict schedule, and if someone can't play for whatever reason, then they forefit those games. i was prepared to forefit my first 3 games b/c i was out of town, shouldn't be different for anyone else. i know things come up and i'm not saying other things dont take higher priority, obviously they do. but lets say we dont advance the league today, and these games aren't played. then they aren't played tomorrow, then they aren't played tuesday, then we're turning the 5 day period into a 10 day period, and we're turning a 3 month league into a 5 month league.

i say with the # of games that we play, we stick to a strict schedule and if a series isn't done, the person who is lagging gets the loss. if neither person is lagging then come to a decision by splitting the series 1-1 and then flipping for the final game or something.
sounds fair to me

Heads or Tails, Bob.

you're the commish though! just an idea of mine. i'm not saying it just so i can play my games today (i'll get them in before the deadline regardless), but with the way we have the schedule setup it's just unrealistic to believe EVERY SINGLE GAME is going to be played in every series. might as well get moving with the people who are going to play as i see it!

DenogginizerOS

I resolved the games as follows:

MrBob - 2 wins
Runner45 - 2 wins
Matrix - 1 win

The second week is now up.

5 Day clock starts NOW. That means that all games need to be played by 5PM EST on Friday, April 4th.

If anyone has a problem getting their games in, I need to see them in this thread or I need to receive an IM via AIM (Magnoggin) ASAP.

kbear,

You are my next opponent. Don't make me forfeit your games. Lets go, bro!

responded!

gg's LJ. holy shit you freaking creamed me in that first game. i couldn't buy an out.

and i believe for the first time in the history of my videogame baseball playing career i had back to back games with a triple play :lol

LJ11

FrenchMovieTheme said:
responded!

gg's LJ. holy shit you freaking creamed me in that first game. i couldn't buy an out.

and i believe for the first time in the history of my videogame baseball playing career i had back to back games with a triple play :lol

My offense shows up one game and disappears the next on a regular basis, but I think you just pitched better in the second game.

Dude, the first triple play was a boneheaded play on my part, total lack of awareness on my part. The second was just terrible base running, I shouldn't have broke for the plate. Regardless, you made some clutch plays. That second triple play was my undoing, I was just shaking my head after that.

You got a bit predictable with your pitches in that first game. Second game you came inside more with the fastball, and threw a lot of offspeed away or at my knees, really nice job of keeping me off balance.

I think I pulled Santana too early, maybe I should have rode him an inning more. I felt his fastball was losing movement so went to the pen. On the other hand, you rode Kuo until his arm fell off. His energy was at zero and he was still in there.

Throw to the cutoff man with L1 FMV, I got a couple of extra bases because you didn't cut off the ball. Cutoff man is a life saver at times.

Looking forward to the swing game later, I'll AIM/PM you when I'm ready.

i dont know how to throw to the cutoff man OR how to advance individual runners! the manual says to advance individual runners push the button of the base runner and the direction you want him to run, but it never works. unless i'm misunderstanding the direction.

LJ11

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i dont know how to throw to the cutoff man OR how to advance individual runners! the manual says to advance individual runners push the button of the base runner and the direction you want him to run, but it never works. unless i'm misunderstanding the direction.

The cutoff man is the L1 button, so instead of choosing a base to throw to, just press L1. While the ball is in the air preload the throw to the base you want the cutoff man to throw to, just like you would a double play.

To advance runners, hit the left analog stick in the direction of the base your runner is at (right for first, up for second, left for third), when he starts blinking then press the corresponding base icon to advance him there.

ok so lets say i have a man on 1st and 3rd, no outs. i hit a deep fly and only want to advance the 3rd baseman. so after the ball is caught, i would push the Left stick left, then press X (home base?)?

p.s. if you're around i can play now. i'll probably be here for another hour or so

LJ11

FrenchMovieTheme said:
ok so lets say i have a man on 1st and 3rd, no outs. i hit a deep fly and only want to advance the 3rd baseman. so after the ball is caught, i would push the Left stick left, then press X (home base?)?

p.s. if you're around i can play now. i'll probably be here for another hour or so

IF it's a long fly ball, you can hit left on the analog stick even before the ball is caught, just press X after the catch is made to advance home.

Can we play in 20 minutes? I'm watching the Nats/Braves game.

just finished my series with LJ. great series and he could've easily swept me. i won game 3 of the series in the bottom of the 10th on a walk off homer. just a lucky guess on my part and i got all of it.

i love it when the games are close and you have a real duel going on. very exciting!

Matrix

dez,when are you free to play?

Matrix

Ok cool.

I'll be on my PS3 around 9 pm eastern tonight,just send a message if you want to get a couple of games in.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So do baseball games now play smoothly online, unlike the last time I tried a league, in PS2Ville?

DenogginizerOS

Lonestar said:
So do baseball games now play smoothly online, unlike the last time I tried a league, in PS2Ville?
For the most part. There are still isues with lag that crop up without any rhyme or reason.

Matrix

Dez,I can only play one game tonight at 9 pm eastern.I forget the Stros are on at 10:00 on ESPN 2 HD :D

Top Bottom