• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

jman2050

I'm less annoyed about the Red Sox being in the basement and their soon to be bajillion game losing streak than I am about the Yankees being in first. Ugh.

ZIPS ROS still likes the Red Sox to finish 36-31, for what it's worth! 9th best projection in fact!

Heh

I hope Manfred has the balls to really push for making international players go through the draft like he's talked about doing.

International draft is coming next year, 100%.

It's an incredibly stupid idea that screws these kids over and ruins the system.

Anyway good deal for the Astros and A's. Nottingham is probably gonna be a really nice player.

Someone posted a picture of the pitcher the A's just acquired.

CKnbDU_W8AEFxEO.jpg

Dude looks like an Athletic. Welcome aboard.

It's like Clay Zavada's twin or something

zavada.jpg

jbug617

Banned
Just thinking if Beane had told the Red Sox that they were taking offers on Donaldson in the offseason. I don't think he would of ended up with the Sox but man that pisses me off.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
He profiles as a BOR guy, Nottingham is the real get, power hitting 1B/Catcher with speed.

Yup, Catcher is the one thing the Astros are kinda weak at, as far as a bat is concerned.

But I bet Kaz is probably cheaper than what Hamels or Price would cost.

Let someone else overpay for Price and try to sign him in the offseason, if it comes to that. Or resign Kazmir. Either way, good trade.

Keuchel/Kazmir/McHugh/Feldman/McCullers

Preller deserves to be fired. I'd be mad as hell if I was a Padres fan.

Preller is a fucking idiot. Amaro 2.0. He gave up their #1 prospect in the same deal where he absorbed one of the worst contracts in baseball (Melvin Upton).

If I were a Padres fan, I'd be angry as fuck at what he did to the team. He completely torched their farm system. As a Braves fan, though, I'm completely thrilled with his idiocy.

Preller deserves to be fired. I'd be mad as hell if I was a Padres fan.

Went looking for Preller and stumbled on this article on Grantland detailing why his moves fuck San Diego up. For example:

As spring training opened, the Padres had a lot of new talent on their roster, but it didn’t fit together. They had three new starting outfielders but no starting center fielder; the two outfielders on the roster capable of playing center field (Cameron Maybin and Will Venable) were on the bench. Their infield was largely theoretical. Their lineup leaned heavily to the right side, and their pitching staff was even more right-hand dominant. They still needed another trade or six to turn their collection of talent into a roster that made sense, though with Preller at the helm it seemed like just a matter of time before it happened.

And on the Kimbrel trade:
But few teams had less of a need to overpay relievers than the Padres. Under Bud Black and in part thanks to the incredibly forgiving dimensions of Petco Park, San Diego had been able to turn unknown pitchers into quality relievers year after year.

Dale Thayer (2.34 ERA in 65 innings) and Kevin Quackenbush (2.48 ERA in 54 innings) were nobodies. So was Nick Vincent (2.14 ERA in 46 innings) in 2013, and Ernesto Frieri (2.38 ERA in 95 innings) in 2010 and 2011, and Joe Thatcher, who had a 3.18 ERA in 198 innings from 2007 to 2013.

Luke Gregerson was a former 28th-round pick who was acquired as a player to be named later when the Padres traded Khalil Greene to St. Louis in 2009; he had a 2.88 ERA in five years with the club. When the Mets dumped Heath Bell on the Padres after the 2006 season, he had a 4.92 ERA in 108 innings for New York; he became one of the game’s best closers in five years with San Diego. Mike Adams, acquired in a nothing trade in 2006, had a 1.66 ERA in 217 innings with the Padres from 2008 to 2011.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Preller is a fucking idiot. Amaro 2.0. He gave up their #1 prospect in the same deal where he absorbed one of the worst contracts in baseball (Melvin Upton).

If I were a Padres fan, I'd be angry as fuck at what he did to the team. He completely torched their farm system. As a Braves fan, though, I'm completely thrilled with his idiocy.

That Justin Upton trade, man. If Fried's arm comes all the way back from TJ...

LevelNth

Banned
T-minus 8 days and counting until Alex Anthopoulos wastes one of the best offenses in baseball in the last 20 years.

Joke of a GM. Either pay up and get someone asap or trade Buehrle. Kazmir would've been amazing but you're an idiot.

Having two excellent - not good, but excellent - leadoff guys at the top of the lineup makes it so good. I wish it was like this in the 2010 - 2012 era after the 27th title...even infinite strikeouts from Cano/Granderson/Swisher/GIDPJeter and the rest would have trouble not scoring runs with that kind of dynamic.

tim1138

International draft is coming next year, 100%.

It's an incredibly stupid idea that screws these kids over and ruins the system.

Anyway good deal for the Astros and A's. Nottingham is probably gonna be a really nice player.

Why the opposition to an international draft? My take is it will level the playing field a bit with teams having access to international players. The best are still gonna get paid, just like everyone else in MLB, and you can avoid scenarios like Dice K or what the Dodgers are going theough with Alex Guerrero.

Why the opposition to an international draft? My take is it will level the playing field a bit with teams having access to international players. The best are still gonna get paid, just like everyone else in MLB, and you can avoid scenarios like Dice K or what the Dodgers are going theough with Alex Guerrero.

Think about it this way.

Lets say you're... the Brewers, and you've got a bonus pool of $7.75M, spread out like such:
15 1 2,692,700
40 A 1,545,400
55 2 1,108,000
90 3 646,300
121 4 465,600
151 5 348,600
181 6 261,000
211 7 195,700
241 8 171,100
271 9 159,700
301 10 149,700

In Round 1, Comp Round A, pick 55, and pick 90, you go bananas. Trent Clark gets full slot, $2.7M, then you take Mike Matuella at 40 and pay him $2M, then you take Dakota Chalmers and pay him $1.2M, and Jacob Nix and pay him $1M. Now you've just spent $7M of your $7.75M pool and still have 7 picks left. So $107k/pick. How do you fill them out?

Historically, you had to use seniors (who get screwed because college seniors). Now, you can go find a poor Venezuelan kid who would have gotten a $500k bonus, and offer him $150k. There's no way he turns that down. It's still life changing money for those guys. Now you can do that 6 times, and find a college senior to sign for $10k.

It's absolutely despicable, and teams are going to do it all the time because there won't be any limitations or deterrents in place. You're basically using the fact that Venezuela is falling the fuck apart and mired in poverty as a competitive advantage to save pool money and take advantage of a 16 Y/O kid. It's disgusting.

graffix13

Okay, we ran the show for the first half, time to activate the hyperdrive for part two!

We are off to a good start. I still want a SP though. I wanted Kazmir...that dream is dead.

Fist Bump to my Royal Bro.

Tuesday morning I saw they finally made the "Los Reales" jersey available for purchase so I finally got the KC Royals Jersey that I wanted and looking forward to Saturdays game.

They are giving out that Ventura bobble head that night, right? Some caller on 810 yesterday suggested that's why we brought him back up in less than a day. *groan*

We are going tomorrow night. I NEED this in my life:

250x167_mizzou_cap.png

tim1138

Think about it this way.

Lets say you're... the Brewers, and you've got a bonus pool of $7.75M, spread out like such:
15 1 2,692,700
40 A 1,545,400
55 2 1,108,000
90 3 646,300
121 4 465,600
151 5 348,600
181 6 261,000
211 7 195,700
241 8 171,100
271 9 159,700
301 10 149,700

In Round 1, Comp Round A, pick 55, and pick 90, you go bananas. Trent Clark gets full slot, $2.7M, then you take Mike Matuella at 40 and pay him $2M, then you take Dakota Chalmers and pay him $1.2M, and Jacob Nix and pay him $1M. Now you've just spent $7M of your $7.75M pool and still have 7 picks left. So $107k/pick. How do you fill them out?

Historically, you had to use seniors (who get screwed because college seniors). Now, you can go find a poor Venezuelan kid who would have gotten a $500k bonus, and offer him $150k. There's no way he turns that down. It's still life changing money for those guys. Now you can do that 6 times, and find a college senior to sign for $10k.

It's absolutely despicable, and teams are going to do it all the time because there won't be any limitations or deterrents in place. You're basically using the fact that Venezuela is falling the fuck apart and mired in poverty as a competitive advantage to save pool money and take advantage of a 16 Y/O kid. It's disgusting.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense, I never looked at it from that angle before. I fully admit, a lot of it is small market team frustration, but yeah looking at the bigger picture it's suoer gross.

Also it doesn't change anything with the Japanese baseball market. You still have the posting system and mega money there since it's a much more powerful and influential league than all of the LA leagues.

tim1138

Also it doesn't change anything with the Japanese baseball market. You still have the posting system and mega money there since it's a much more powerful and influential league than all of the LA leagues.

Oh yeah, the posting system is never going away.

Chris R

Can't wait for the Mariners to make our typical second half of the season push, only to fall short of the playoffs by like 3 games :(

@MarcCarig: Granderson – RF
Tejada – SS
Flores – 2B
Mayberry Jr. – LF
Campbell – 3B
Duda – 1B
Lagares – CF
Recker – C
Colon – RHP

giphy.gif

I'd like to officially congratulate Kershaw on his second no hitter!

According to Joe Frisaro, four teams are interested in trading for Steve Cishek. I know the Cards are interested in him, but I wonder who the other three teams are?

Also, Jared Cosart was diagnosed with sinus infection related vertigo earlier this week. Hopefully he will get better soon :(

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Great get by the Astros. Trade a few prospects a couple years off for a 2nd starter. Hopefully he'll resign in the offseason as well.

Top Bottom