• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

C7Sb_XGWwAIngYR.jpg

David Justice with Ron Washington

The cast of Moneyball visiting the Braves!

The Last Bastion of Old-School Stats

2006, the most popular statistical category in Yahoo fantasy baseball was runs batted in, which was used in 99.50 percent of Yahoo leagues. By then, RBIs had been a staple of rotisserie baseball's original eight categories for more than 25 years, and the early stirrings of the sabermetric movement couldn't dislodge it from the fantasy firmament overnight.
2006 wasn't the dark ages, sabermetrically speaking — Moneyball had been a best seller for years, Theo Epstein's (and Bill James's) Red Sox had won the World Series, and Andrew Friedman and Joe Maddon had just started running the (Devil) Rays. Baseball Prospectus had just turned 10, and FanGraphs had debuted (albeit barely). Still, those weren't quite enlightened times. Anti-stat sportscaster Joe Morgan was still active, as was the blog about him. MIT Sloan hadn't yet held its first, sparsely attended sports analytics conference. Many MLB teams were still years away from hiring their first full-time quant.
In the intervening decade, RBIs' reputation eroded. Baseball embraced advanced analytics, both in front offices and in the larger cultural conversation. It became common knowledge that runs batted in were a poor measure of player performance, dependent as they are on timing, quality of teammates, and lineup position, among other factors. Naturally, RBIs' Yahoo usage rate dropped — all the way down to 99.31 percent.
Even in 2016, RBIs remained the most popular category in Yahoo fantasy baseball, according to data provided by Yahoo. (Yahoo, which will say only that it has ”tens of millions" of registered users across all of its fantasy sports, has offered fantasy baseball since 1999, but pre-2006 usage rates weren't easily retrievable.) The top 10 categories in 2006 — the bedrock stats of the standard ”5x5" league — were still the top 10 categories last year, in a slightly different order. Almost 40 years after its founding, fantasy baseball is straddling analytical eras, clinging to archaic scoring categories even as fantasy prep grows more sophisticated by the season.

I have...differing opinions on advanced statistics as a whole. I appreciate them as a way to get a deeper meaning into who is more valuable based upon a certain skillset, etc. Considering baseball is a much more individual based sports, advanced stats makes a lot more sense, in my mind.

But what I have seen with other sports involving advanced stats (Specifically hockey) is that a lot of people use it to an extent that it allows them to criticize managerial regimes, announcers, and the like, and make it so that they can feel just as smart, if not, smarter then them. Play armchair general manager, and also make themselves feel as though they are apart of an exclusive (or supposedly) club. Forgetting that managerial regimes specifically have the exact same tool set, and oftentimes something even better and comprehensive.

I also believe that some people really rely too much on advanced statistics, and really forget that sports, as a whole, is also about watching the game. Watching what these players do that makes them so important to teams.

Of course, maybe that's me being old-fashioned to an extent. Criticize me all you want then, if that is the case.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Last Bastion of Old-School Stats

I have...differing opinions on advanced statistics as a whole. I appreciate them as a way to get a deeper meaning into who is more valuable based upon a certain skillset, etc. Considering baseball is a much more individual based sports, advanced stats makes a lot more sense, in my mind.

But what I have seen with other sports involving advanced stats (Specifically hockey) is that a lot of people use it to an extent that it allows them to criticize managerial regimes, announcers, and the like, and make it so that they can feel just as smart, if not, smarter then them. Play armchair general manager, and also make themselves feel as though they are apart of an exclusive (or supposedly) club. Forgetting that managerial regimes specifically have the exact same tool set, and oftentimes something even better and comprehensive.

I also believe that some people really rely too much on advanced statistics, and really forget that sports, as a whole, is also about watching the game. Watching what these players do that makes them so important to teams.

Of course, maybe that's me being old-fashioned to an extent. Criticize me all you want then, if that is the case.
Fantasy Baseball is not the same as normal Baseball. One of the reasons why i don't bother with it.

TURN LEFT GO FAST VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Only thing more boring than watching Twins-Rays at the dome.

You do realize that you're basically pigeonholing NASCAR, and that CJ races in IMSA?

Then again, I remind you that the same thing your doing, pretty much every person my age thinks of baseball.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
You do realize that you're basically pigeonholing NASCAR, and that CJ races in IMSA?

Then again, I remind you that the same thing your doing, pretty much every person my age thinks of baseball.

Didn't you know that NASCAR is the only racing league in the entire world?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giants-fear-ligament-damage-in-reliever-Smith-s-11017194.php

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - Giants reliever Will Smith is flying to San Francisco to see team orthopedist Dr. Ken Akizuki after an MRI on his pitching elbow revealed bad news, an issue with his ulnar-collatreral ligament.

Tommy John surgery, which would sideline Smith for the season, is possible. Even if Smith does not need Tommy John, he will be out for the long term, a big blow for the bullpen and team. Smith was to be one of the Giants' top setup man.

Asked about the UCL, Evans said, "That's what concerns us. There are things on the MRI that didn't necessarily show up on the last MRI."

Well, shit.

World Baseball Classic needs serious commitment -- or just get rid of it

Adam Jones's robbery of Manny Machado's would-be home run and Machado's respectful salute to his Baltimore Orioles teammate will be the highlight of the World Baseball Classic. But there have been other indelible moments. Such as Javier Baez's no-look tag, as he pointed at teammate Yadier Molina. Or Machado's seemingly daily series of web gems.

Or Nelson Cruz's home runs. Or the intimidating power of Wladimir Balentien. Giancarlo Stanton denting Petco Park. The last outs in the surprising wins for Team Israel. The homeland pride spilling out of the players and the fans in hugs and shouts and smiles. And if you want to go full circle, Jones's hometown home run.

We wouldn't remember any of these plays if they happened in plain old exhibition games, a reality that should inform about the potential that the WBC carries and inspire an industry-wide conversation. The time has come for all sides to go all-in on the WBC or pack it in, because unless everybody wholly embraces the event -- from the players to the union to Major League Baseball -- it's never going to become what it could and should be: An annual celebration of the sport that draws worldwide attention.

Because it could be great and could be used to fuel interest in the sport around the globe, much in the same way that hockey is helped by international competition. And the WBC could inject new life into the All-Star week events.

The bulk of the WBC could be played in spring training annually, with the semifinals and championship games becoming part of All-Star week in July. On Monday, the Home Run Derby. On Tuesday, the WBC semifinals. The All-Star Game could be played on Wednesday, with the managers focusing on player participation, leading up to the WBC final on Thursday. Then the sport takes a three-day weekend for rest. The players could get more rest in midseason, something the union has requested. The sport would command the world stage, in what is generally a sleepy sports week, and checks could be cashed by all sides.

I am really not sure they should conclude WBC during All Star week. I do kind of want to see everyone go all in on it though. I know the risk for the MLB clubs but I think it's a great way to sell the sport internationally.

It's also good to have an extra month of meaningful baseball.

I am really not sure they should conclude WBC during All Star week. I do kind of want to see everyone go all in on it though. I know the risk for the MLB clubs but I think it's a great way to sell the sport internationally.

It's also good to have an extra month of meaningful baseball.

It's a can't win situation. Have it in March, nobody gives a fuck, and teams will kick and scream and put asinine restrictions to handicap teams even further.

Put it in the ASG break, and teams will kick and scream even more.

It's a can't win situation. Have it in March, nobody gives a fuck, and teams will kick and scream and put asinine restrictions to handicap teams even further.

Put it in the ASG break, and teams will kick and scream even more.

Nobody? Seems like interest in Asia and Latam is strong, getting some limited run in Europe and North American interest is growing.

And the restrictions are hardly asinine. It's not like there's been a lack of good players available.

In the article there are hot takes and complaints for the sake of hot takes and complaints.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Giants hire Barry Bonds as "special adviser to the CEO"

After a long and rocky hiatus, Bonds and the Giants reunited Tuesday with the announcement that the home-run king has been named a special adviser to the CEO.

He’ll report to Larry Baer, at least technically. He’ll really be paid to be Barry Bonds. Except with the new role, he’ll be in a more public venue as he represents the Giants for the first time in 10 years.

Bonds will do community events, the Giants say. He’ll visit minor-league teams to teach hitting. He’ll be all things Barry, and that’s a far cry from the fall of 2007 when team executives Peter Magowan and Brian Sabean held a news conference to sever ties with the homers king even though Bonds wanted to play one more year.

This was at the height of Bud Selig’s commissionership, and there was talk that the owners of the 30 teams blackballed Bonds on Selig’s command or at least as a favor to a pal, a Milwaukee guy who was bummed that his friend Hank Aaron’s home-run record fell.

That seems like eons ago. Nowadays, Bonds is perceived in a different light by more people and might be destined for the Hall of Fame, having secured 53.8 percent of the vote in the last election. He has five years to reach the 75 percent required for Cooperstown induction.

In his new role, he’ll be in the company of Hall of Famers because no team does nostalgia like the Giants.

On any given day, Willie Mays is in the clubhouse shooting the bull with players. Up in the press box, on the broadcast level, Willie McCovey is closely monitoring the on-field action. And Orlando Cepeda sits with friends behind the plate, taking in the sights and sounds.

All have statues, as does Gaylord Perry. Along with Will Clark, Jeffrey Leonard and Dave Dravecky, all are assistants/advisers/ambassadors, and now along comes Bonds to join the party.

The Bonds era is back.

Nice to see Dan Duquette go for the coded racism RE Jose Bautista.

MLB.com: You expressed no interest in Jose Bautista this offseason, saying, ”Jose is a villain in Baltimore and I'm not going to go tell our fans that we're courting Jose Bautista for the Orioles because they're not going to be happy." How often do you consider something like fan reaction when considering potential acquisitions?

Duquette: (Laughs) Well that was an easy one; our fans just don't like Jose. We play those guys 25 times a year and he's the face of the Blue Jays. He's the villain in the play whenever we play the Blue Jays. I like our guys. Our guys are good. [Mark] Trumbo is like a working-class-type baseball player. If he was going to work every day on a construction site, you would understand that he brings that kind of work ethic every day. That's the kind of player that our fans identify with. We try to get gritty players that work hard every day and give their best effort every day. Our fans seem to like that and respond to it.

I'll make sure to keep this in mind when I get into an argument with O's fans, that your owner is a shithead who wants to attach racism to a player he hates.

johnny956

Cardinals just announced a $30/month unlimited ticket pass. Standing room tickets includes all regular season games (except opening day). Tickets are non-transferable but acts like a normal ticket in that you get giveaways and such at the gate. I might sign up for this as I work pretty close to the stadium so not feeling guilty coming early or late to a game

Cardinals Ballpark Pass

Cardinals just announced a $30/month unlimited ticket pass. Standing room tickets includes all regular season games (except opening day). Tickets are non-transferable but acts like a normal ticket in that you get giveaways and such at the gate. I might sign up for this as I work pretty close to the stadium so not feeling guilty coming early or late to a game

Cardinals Ballpark Pass

Shit, that's a pretty good deal.

Also, how Bill Simmons is a petty, spiteful fuck:

szszlyjkj6fhiwi37ag5.jpg

The beef here, for those who do not closely follow sports media comings and goings, is that for many years Bill Simmons wrote what he called the Annual NBA Trade Value column. The groundbreaking idea behind this column was Simmons ranking NBA players based on their trade value. It was a truly next-level concept.

Anyway, in his former capacity as Editor-In-Chief of Grantland—a now defunct sports and pop culture website that was shuttered shortly after Simmons orchestrated a coup in which four top editors at the site (Sean Fennessey, Juliet Litman, Mallory Rubin, and Chris Ryan) all quit on the same day to join Simmons at The Ringer—Simmons hired Jonah Keri to write about baseball for the site. Keri, who has been writing about sports on the internet for as long as such a thing has existed and was enjoying a successful career before Grantland was even an idea on a whiteboard, began writing an annual MLB Trade Value column for the site.

Keri, who lost his job after Grantland was shut down in the wake of Simmons convincing four top editors to quit on the same day, now writes for a variety of outlets. One of the places he writes is Sports Illustrated, and he has continued to publish his MLB Trade Value column there. In the column, Keri credits Simmons with giving him the idea:

ssvi1hrhuudhzpqwnss0.jpg

So, Bill Simmons is mad that Jonah Keri—one of the best sportswriters in the business and a guy who did more for Simmons's and Grantland's reputations than Simmons or Grantland ever did for his—has the audacity to continue ranking MLB players by their trade value even though he no longer works for Bill Simmons. Bill sure seems like a great guy to work for.

http://deadspin.com/bill-simmons-shows-entire-world-his-ass-1793489658

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom