• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Aw screw it. This deserves a gif.

nmFdBDo.gif

Perfectly done. Play of the week.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
What in the fuck?! Both teams are in the same division! i don't even..

I blame Enron and darkside for this two teaming shit.

I can see two teams in two different leagues (It's still wrong) but in the same DIVISION?

But yes, those two are the most heinous

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hell, one of the Giants announce crew mentioned Pablo had an eating disorder a while back when he left for Boston.

dubc35

In an analysis that surprises no one, the Mariners are terrible at scoring runs at home vs away. Charts compare runs scored home vs away for 2014-2015 seasons

Testing the mean runs scored at home is less than away

Testing the standard deviation of runs scored at home is less than away

[edit] looking at it from the POV of the opponent, the mean test still holds but less conclusive on the st dev.

Kaiken

Banned
Chicago Cubs:

1st in MLB
1st in Batting
3rd in Pitching
1st in Fielding

Can't help but get excited... again.

Then a co-worker reminded me:

2016 8-1
1969 8-1

Chris R

In an analysis that surprises no one, the Mariners are terrible at scoring runs at home vs away. Charts compare runs scored home vs away for 2014-2015 seasons

Testing the mean runs scored at home is less than away

Testing the standard deviation of runs scored at home is less than away

[edit] looking at it from the POV of the opponent, the mean test still holds but less conclusive on the st dev.

Looks like everyone is scoring fewer runs at Safeco.

Time to bring in the walls (again).

bebop242

I'm excited for day baseball at Wrigley. Looks like great weather over there too.

I however expect a loss today since I'm able to watch the whole game today.

Is this wind keeps up, tonight's game in LA will provide some weird outfield moments. It seems to have died down a bit in the past hour, but last night and this morning were SUPER windy. It blew a potted plant off a second story balcony and just barely missed a parked car.

Kaladin

Saying winning is "everything," Atlanta Braves general manager John Coppolella expressed frustration over the team's 0-9 start this season.

"The Braves are a gold-standard organization, and to start out the season in this manner is embarrassing and unacceptable," Coppolella told MLB.com on Friday. "... We have so many other great things going on in other areas of our organization, but we do need to start playing better and winning more games."

The Braves and the Minnesota Twins are the first major league teams to lose nine in a row to start a season since Detroit in 2003, according to STATS. Atlanta's worst start came in 1988, when it went 0-10.

Coppolella wouldn't say that manager Fredi Gonzalez is in any danger of losing his job, but he did say that he's disappointed that the Braves haven't played up to their abilities.

"We care about Fredi," Coppolella told MLB.com. "We all hope we can turn things around and start winning games. That will take the pressure off everybody."

He later said: "We know we are better than our record indicates. More importantly, we know there are better days ahead for our organization and our fans. Nothing productive comes from panic."

Coppolella pointed out that the Braves have been competitive -- surrendering leads in five of the first seven games -- and injuries to Ender Inciarte, Dan Winkler, Jason Grilli and Jim Johnson haven't helped.

"We aren't going to make excuses for our terrible start -- close games, tough schedule, injuries -- we just haven't done the job," Coppolella told MLB.com. "We have made a commitment. We are committed to playing better in 2016."

panic-button.jpg

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15210254/atlanta-braves-gm-john-coppolella-frustrated-0-9-start

I see the Twins are pretty damn good this year. That's awesome to see.

Anyway, heading to San Francisco this August. Have the option to see them play either the Mets or the Pirates. What do you guys think? Which would be a better game?

Kaladin

So if the Barves don't win against Miami, they have a rough schedule ahead with series against the Dodgers, Mets and Red Sox. The Dodgers will crush them but they may actually have a shot against the Mets or Sox.

Loxley

Happy Jackie Robinson Day all.

Get those taxes in

I'm a budding baseball fan and have been working my way through Ken Burns' Baseball documentary series all this week, and just crossed the point where they covered Jackie Robinson's death. Damn man, only 53 years old, what a tragedy. Guy's one of the most influential athletes of all time, no doubt.

XiaNaphryz

deadspin.com/report-the-giants-banned-hotel-room-service-for-pablo-1771213613

And I’ll tell you another anecdote. This is how concerned the Giants were when he played for them ... they would make special arrangements at the hotel the Giants were staying in to not allow him to order room service. They would tell the front desk management, “If he calls down for room service at night after games, do not send anything to this room.” They went to great measures to try to cut down on those eating binges, and it would only work for a time because he would find someplace to get food.

XiaNaphryz

So, it really is a seriously problem...wow. I assumed a lot of it was jokes but yeah, the dude has a problem.

Yeah, at this point I'm guessing SF had to have included a weight clause in his contract offer before he bolted to Boston.

Ben Cherington actually paid Panda in 95 million Big Macs.

Speaking of Cherington's deals, fun fact about today's starter for the Sox.

No player has had more starts with at least 2 HR allowed since the beginning of 2015 than Rick Porcello.

jbug617

Banned
More Pablo stories from his Giants days
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...o_sandoval_needs_babysitter_to_control_weight

When Pablo Sandoval went home to Venezuela for Christmas in 2011, he gained so much weight so quickly — 21 pounds in 21 days — that when he returned to work out in Phoenix, his personal trainer did everything possible to keep the third baseman out of sight from his team, the San Francisco Giants.

The worry was that if the Giants caught a glimpse of Sandoval — they were monitoring the progress — his payday could have been in jeopardy.

“I would go pick him up at a random location, drive him to the facility so that his car wouldn’t be there, so if they dropped in they wouldn’t know he was there,” Banning said. “So for about a three-week period, he had the flu — we had every excuse in the world. We were just trying to rip weight off him again. And it ballooned way out of control.”

Banning said he sacrificed the rest of his own existence at the time to get Sandoval to burn all the fat he had so quickly added. It worked: a three-year contract worth about $17 million materialized in January 2012.

“I was coming in seven days a week, he was training three times a day on six days, and on Sundays he was training twice,” Banning said. “It was that bad. I mean, it got out of control.”

Top Bottom