• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Sigh, it's so hard being a Dbacks fan. Our front office + ownership have 0 clue.

The Shelby Miller trade will go down in history as one of the worst ever.

Sigh, it's so hard being a Dbacks fan. Our front office + ownership have 0 clue.

The Shelby Miller trade will go down in history as one of the worst ever.
Doesn't help either when your fellow D back fans aren't going to the game. Yesterday only 14k for attendance? Grienke made the right choice.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Posey with the SB...lol

solD9Hc.gif

Chris R

Ouch... Weren't y'all ahead in the standings for a long while?

Yes.

Then the Twins swept us at home (I had the joy of attending those games!) and then June happened. If we don't recapture late April/May magic again soon the season will be over. Texas won't be caught and the Wild Card will continue to slip away when we win 2 or 3 games out of ever 6.

Mortemis

Banned
Yes.

Then the Twins swept us at home (I had the joy of attending those games!) and then June happened. If we don't recapture late April/May magic again soon the season will be over. Texas won't be caught and the Wild Card will continue to slip away when we win 2 or 3 games out of ever 6.

A healthy and consistent rotation would do us wonders

I still think this team has the ability to get hot and make a run for a wild card spot late in the season, but it gets harder to believe after every sweep and every time they keeping digging their grave.

harSon

Banned
is he the real deal?

CARDS SWEEP INCOMING

His state lines in AAA have been ridiculous. He's had some control issues, so he has a tendency to walk - but we'll see how he fairs in the MLB. He's got some nasty stuff, and is a strike out artist so I'm definitely excited. He probably has the highest ceiling out of Cole and Taillon.

The A's are 36-49, 16.5 GB and only 1 game ahead of the shitbox Angels.

Dark, dark times.

Are we actually getting fans of other teams since I got banned?

Good god, this isn't Mets and Jays OT now?

Only when the Jays are on a winning streak. When they're not winning, all we get are the occasional Chewie posts being depressed about the Jays.

Sonny Gray getting the eyes of scouts across the league

Gray is 0-7 with a 6.16 ERA over his past 12 starts and hasn’t recorded a win since April 22, but a number of teams still are hoping to get the A’s to part with Gray before the trade deadline. There is thought among some executives that with Oakland well out of the race for the second season in a row, the A’s might be persuaded to do so.

Many contenders, including the Blue Jays, Royals, Orioles, Marlins and Cardinals, had scouts in attendance looking at Santana and Gray. Toronto needs pitching and has become a regular trade partner with the A’s in recent years, but it’s a stretch to imagine Oakland sending a potential Cy Young-type starter to the Blue Jays less than two years after trading 2015 AL MVP Josh Donaldson to Toronto.

Surely the A's management group isn't stupid enough to trade the one really good player currently on their roster, right? Especially to the Jays?

After the awful way the A's traded Josh Donaldson, anything is possible with them.

As much as Queso says otherwise, it's pretty obvious the A's got hosed on the Donaldson trade, at least in the short term.

I wonder how much Josh is happy he got out of there considering the downward trajectory that the A's are currently in.

As much as Queso says otherwise, it's pretty obvious the A's got hosed on the Donaldson trade, at least in the short term.

The A's got absolutely shafted short term. That was never in debate from the minute the trade was made.

But when the primary guy coming back in the trade was in low A at the time, a bit tough to call it and outright all-time steal. Yeah, Lawrie was the headline, but Barreto was the real guy.

Graveman will be a 2-3 WAR starter this year, Barreto is doing... okay as a 20 year old in AA, Nolin is borked, and the two guys they got for Lawrie, well, one is struggling in A ball a bit this year after doing well last year and the other guy is an up and down in the bullpen.

Looking at the deal today, can't say it looks good at all for the A's to come out ahead. But, in 7 years? Barreto is likely to be a far more productive player than Donaldson will be. Of course, Donaldson might make a HOF case by then.

But Graveman is under control through 2020. If he can average 3 WAR over that time, that's 15 wins above over the course of the contract. Barreto can hopefully be a 20-30 WAR guy. Maybe the other guys in the deal get you 10 WAR combined over their time in Oakland.

So call it 40 WAR ballpark potential overall.

Donaldson is at 14 WAR since starting in TOR, and is under control until 2018. He can probably reach 40 WAR over the deal for the Jays.

Therefore, if Barreto can become a big league SS, and Graveman develops, and anything else in the deal pans out at all, then the A's can get to a wash on the deal.

Of course, nothing can replace a few trips to the playoffs, an MVP award, and being a fan favorite like Donaldson is when it comes to TV ratings, ticket sales and jersey sales.

So, high probability that the Jays come out ahead to signficantly ahead in the deal, but not a lock.

I wonder how much Josh is happy he got out of there considering the downward trajectory that the A's are currently in.

With Donaldson the trajectory isn't as downward, if it all. So, I'm guessing it wouldn't matter to him? He liked his time in Oakland, but of course he's happy to get paid.

Thanks for that. I know what I'm talking about.

W-L is the last thing you look at when analyzing a pitchers stats.

Are you apart of the Buck and Pat analogy that wins are all that matters?

Perhaps, but Sanchez also carries a lower ERA, a comparable WHIP and close strike out numbers. He's more deserving as a result.

Losing Marp. I think this finally broke the Cards.

I think it might not be the *worst* thing - Kolten Wong probably gets to play every day now. Marp is definitely way way better than Wong, but it's not like we're moving to a AAAA player. Defense is definitely better at least.

I'm mostly just sad because Marp was having an MVP-caliber season.

Marc Carig ✔ @MarcCarig
Harvey has symptoms consistent with TOS, Alderson said. Surgery is a 4 month rehab. But there's a non surgical option.
3:48 PM - 7 Jul 2016

Choomp

Banned
Matt never quite was Matt ever this year. Hope everything goes well. Really hope Wheeler comes back sooner rather than later

Holy shit, the Padres just spent $22m on a 17 year old Cuban pitcher

Technically $11m, but they already broke the IFA limit so they have to pay another $11m in luxury tax

Corey Kluber has been one of the best pitchers in the AL, should've been on it over Estrada in the first place

He's 8-8. Both Estrada and Sanchez have better or comparable numbers, including much better win and loss ratios.

That spot should have been filled by another Blue Jay as a result.

oh come the fuck on really are we going into this conspiracy theory level bullshit

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I do notice how little representation the Jays get in American discussions/highlight reels about the MLB, because they're Canada's team.

Top Bottom