• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't see the problem. A team (potentially) lost their game last night due to the rule, so of course they are going to talk about it.

Talking about it is whatever. Sure, players should pay some fucking attention to what they're doing.

But this whole idea that it's "sissifying" the sport is moronic.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Talking about it is whatever. Sure, players should pay some fucking attention to what they're doing.

But this whole idea that it's "sissifying" the sport is moronic.

I apologize. I read your post wrong.

I agree with you.

This is the part of the game I feel very comfortable in. Late innings, decent lead, let Koji, June, and CK come in and shut things down.

Just have to weather the storm of watching 4/5 of the starters pitch first.

I talked about this a little yesterday, but in the age of teams throwing out flamethrower after flamethrower from the pen, it's cool to see Koji being able to survive as a big league reliever at his age relying on pure movement and deception.

How many guys can have the reigning AL MVP looking completely silly swinging and missing on an 86 MPH fastball?

Joe

1,000th hit for Starlin Castro at just 26 years old.

Leaked picture of YES crew getting started on the Yankeeography:

oaA7O1f.jpg

norm9

Woke up this morning still peeved about Dodgers yanking the rookie from a great game.

Their bullpen stinks, has stunk for years, and the front office has refused to do anything (good) about it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Woke up this morning still peeved about Dodgers yanking the rookie from a great game.

Their bullpen stinks, has stunk for years, and the front office has refused to do anything (good) about it.

They tried to get Chapman.

Plays like last night in the Astros-Brewers game are not the types of plays the slide rule was intended to prevent though.

The rule needs adjustment.

I watched the play today and I think it was fair. Rasmus didn't even make contact with the base. Players are going to have to learn they need to slide toward the bag and remain in contact with it. I doubt we'll even be talking about the rule in a couple of months.

Jays Talk should be a doozy today.

I think they'll be good long-term, but there's the same issue with team construction from last season. Their payroll is so offense-heavy that there's not a lot of money left for pitching. To put that in context, they have an almost identical payroll to the Royals ($140.5M versus $137.6M), but the balance is totally different.

Blue Jays: $81.7M towards hitters, $56.1M towards pitching
Royals: $61.2M towards hitters, $70M towards pitching

I'm ignoring the retained money both teams are paying to former players or guys in the minors, since it's a wash, so the totals don't add up exactly to the total payroll numbers.
http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

I don't know the financial disposition of the Blue Jays' ownership. They might be cheapskates cutting corners and pocketing large profits, but that doesn't seem to be the case given the amount they spend on bats. Also not saying the Royals' equation is the right one, just pointing out the contrast. I think the Blue Jays salary balance is particularly alarming when you factor in that a 41-year old knuckleballer is making 21% of all pitching dollars.

It's about priorities, and the Jays are certainly built around powerful, expensive bats. They might obliterate offensive records this season. With their pitching options, they may very well have to in order to win.

Sandoval is embarrassing to the game. Can't have fatties like him playing makes casual fans think that. Chubbier play the game.

Not that I agree 100%, but I do have a French Canadian coworker who constantly ridicules baseball for featuring fat, out of shape athletes. I've tried to explain to him that it's a hell of a lot less common in the league now than in the 90s, since teams are prioritizing speed, defense, and athleticism more than ever. Then you've got Sandoval and Bartolo Colon pulling in millions of dollars...

nillapuddin

That concludes my trip back home to watch the Reds this year. 3-1, I'll take it.

Blame my cousins for yesterday, we've never won (0-6) when they come with me to a game.

Top Bottom