• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB convenes committee to shorten games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

That makes no sense whatsoever.
In that case, if a pitcher throws over once and doesn't get the runner, the runner can basically walk over to the next base on the next pitch, since there's nothing the pitcher can do about it.

Except throw a fastball to his catcher and hope the catcher makes a good accurate throw.

terrisus

Except throw a fastball to his catcher and hope the catcher makes a good accurate throw.

Even that wouldn't do it.
If the pitcher can't throw over, he could throw the ball as soon as he received it, and it still wouldn't be enough time, since the runner could just wander off the base at his leisure.

The only thing they should do to shorten MLB games is cut down on commercials. Everything else is part of the players playing the game and managers managing the game... baseball is baseball. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch. Clearly a massive number of people in this country enjoy it as-is.

Amen.

Iceman829

Commercial time won't be cut out due to $$$, so they need to find ways to actually speed up the game. The best way I see is they need to cut down on the batters abusing stepping out of the box after every single pitch thrown. You do not need to step out every 3 second to re-strap your gloves, body armor and helmet, grab your crotch, hit on the ladies in the front row, give the wink in the guns to third base coach, chew a pack of gum and eat half a bag of sunflower seeds. If you aren't granted permission to leave the box for a legitimate reason (something in your eye) you should be in there for several pitches before you can excuse yourself. Players are creating ridiculous rituals to only strike out anyway.

Pitchers throwing to keep a runner close or more often than not wasting time is a harder subject. It would put a lot on the umps to make a call that is only circumstantial and is not like balls and strikes.

They need to find something to increase the flow of the game. Maybe less standing / sitting around and shorter games can reduce injuries as well.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Commercial time won't be cut out due to $$$, so they need to find ways to actually speed up the game.
If they can speed up the game, they'll have more people watching so they could sell each commercial for a bit more. That should make up for the lost revenue of a few commercials.

HF2014

That makes no sense whatsoever.
In that case, if a pitcher throws over once and doesn't get the runner, the runner can basically walk over to the next base on the next pitch, since there's nothing the pitcher can do about it.

Well, that explains that...

Well, with my ideas, i think it will make the game quicker, and would probably generate more offensive games. More try also of basestealing. I personally think there is nothing worng with the baseball game itself ( maybe this dh hitter rule for american that should be removed ), but beside that, its baseball. Its not an hour show. There is nothing more amazing to see a batter at a plate with a 3-2 count, and get 15 foul ball straight to stay at the play, and then finally get a hit. My idea of maxing it out to three pitch after a 3-2 count would force both pitcher and batter to get it done, but would remove whats baseball is all about.

Only one who wont love my idea are the catcher eh ;)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Well, with my ideas, i think it will make the game quicker, and would probably generate more offensive games. More try also of basestealing. I personally think there is nothing worng with the baseball game itself ( maybe this dh hitter rule for american that should be removed ), but beside that, its baseball. Its not an hour show. There is nothing more amazing to see a batter at a plate with a 3-2 count, and get 15 foul ball straight to stay at the play, and then finally get a hit. My idea of maxing it out to three pitch after a 3-2 count would force both pitcher and batter to get it done, but would remove whats baseball is all about.

Only one who wont love my idea are the catcher eh ;)

You misunderstand. With your idea, once the pitcher throws over once the baserunner can take a huge lead and pretty much always get a stolen base regardless of the catcher since there's no threat of the pitcher throwing to the base. That's ridiculous.

terrisus

You misunderstand. With your idea, once the pitcher throws over once the baserunner can take a huge lead and pretty much always get a stolen base regardless of the catcher since there's no threat of the pitcher throwing to the base. That's ridiculous.

Yeah, as I said earlier:

A bunch of these ideas are basically just people who don't really like Baseball wanting there to be less Baseball, or people who only care about the last month and the playoffs wanting to "cut to the chase" with things.

I mean, seriously, some of these ideas are simply absurd and nonsensical if someone knows anything about Baseball.

It would be like someone coming into a The Last of Us thread, and asking for a straight port of it to Gamecube at 60FPS 1080p

G-Fex

Any time a game is on there, I mute then and put on the radio broadcast.

MLB Gameday Audio is only like $20 for the year, and no blackouts (obviously, since it's radio). It's an amazing deal.

Well since I sadly can't afford mlb.tv this sounds like a great alternative. Thanks!

terrisus

Well since I sadly can't afford mlb.tv this sounds like a great alternative. Thanks!

No problem. I think MLB Gameday Audio is a very underused and underappreciated thing. Even for myself, I didn't fully appreciate how great and useful it was until 2013.

kess

Orel Herschiser took forever to wind up, and yet the games he played in were in fact shorter than modern ones. MLB is chasing the wrong issue.

What I wonder is how this will affect stolen bases. With a constant pitch clock, the baserunner will know exactly when a pitcher has to throw and take his eye off of the runner.

G-Fex

Have you chosen a team yet? MLB-GAF awaits you!

close to finishing my book. Not sure who to pick Xian D:

Between reading the book about baseball rules, defense, offenses, then watching the Baseball documentary by ken Burns, there's so much history :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom