• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
John Shea
‏@JohnSheaHey
Matt Duffy reports Skeeter, once 35 pounds, is now at 27. Duffy: “He’s probably in the best shape of his life."

PgzPXSB.png

MAYO ON A HOT DOG???

What the fuck man

mayo goes on the bread.

I know a lot of Dominicans that do that.. The fuck is wrong with our people?

Also, O's, please sign Gallardo, that way we can move up in the draft and he can become an AL East punching bag.

the red represents the blood of our patriots.

We can't let Xia shut this thread down. If that would ever happen, and the tightrope walk WrassleGAF has become, with no Cards games to fall back on I may have to do other things. Like talk to the wife.

good lord!

did anyone mentally evaluate Mejia? he must have a low I.Q or something...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
lol just saw this

euBMwhV.jpg

9fcyGTI.jpg

If you dont know what its referring to, its from a pic when Crawford was a kid and Giants were gonna leave SF to Tampa Bay
XJ2dDMX.png

He IS eligible to come back, just like Pete Rose, he can file for reinstatement every year and if it's accepted, after 3 1/2 years he can pitch in the majors again.

It's the longest of shots, but he MIGHT be able to salvage at least something of himself if he stops being such a fucking dumbass.

Trout, Harper, Arod if writers didn't hate him, Pujols, Ichiro deserves it but wont, Kershaw, Greinke, Cutch, um... other than that I got nothing.

Obviously a homer pick, but If stop getting injured, Stanton is definitely in the conversation. He is easily the 3rd best outfielder in the game right now.

eznark

Banned
Eznark tell me about Khris? Good people? Will be fit in well with Oakland? Nottingham is a hell of a prospect, was surprised to see him get dealt.

There's no good pizza in SF so you're just as well off.

Davis is just a guy. Baffled that we were able to get Nottingham for him, but my boner is gigantic.

On the...plus? side you've never seen an arm like Davis'. It's.....well, it's worth the price of admission.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I dunno man. That's some major wear and tear on the knees. 1B can add at least 2-3 extra more years.

I think 4 more seasons at catcher is doable, especially since he's already splitting some time at 1B already. He can switch after that point since he'll then have 10 seasons done primarily at the position.

Kersh
The Machine
King Felix
Maybe Ortiz
Posey(Only if he moves to first)
Yadi

Yadi is an interesting one. He has the "fame" down for sure, but it took a while to start hitting for him (and even then he only had around 3 years of good hitting). We still don't really know how to value catcher defense, which is basically Yadi's whole argument for the hall.

RBH

Some rumors from Ken Rosenthal:

Spring training camps open next week, and nearly 60 players remain free agents. Numerous teams also are engaged in trade talks, which one GM described as “pretty active still.”

Here is a glimpse at the trade market, according to major-league sources. As always, I’m reporting only what I know; most trade conversations remain confidential.

ORIOLES

The team’s first choice is to follow the expected signing of free-agent right-hander Yovani Gallardo with the signing of free-agent outfielder Dexter Fowler. But if Fowler joins, say, the White Sox, the Orioles’ backup plan appears to be a trade for Reds right fielder Jay Bruce.

I raised doubts on Twitter about the Orioles’ ability to mount a strong enough offer for Bruce, considering the weakness of their farm system and the fact that the Reds seemingly balked at a Bruce-for-Zack Wheeler trade at the non-waiver deadline in July.

Both teams, however, believe that a match is possible; MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reported Thursday that the Reds see a possible fit, and the Orioles also are confident that a deal could be put together. The Reds apparently are not seeking top prospects for Bruce, who will earn $12.5 million while playing next season at 29, with a $13 million club option for ’17.

Fowler, however, remains the Orioles’ preference and – because of his leadoff skills – is a better fit.

WHITE SOX

Their priority remains an outfielder, whether it’s Fowler or someone else. Free-agent shortstop Ian Desmond appears less of a target; club officials like Tyler Saladino at short, believing that he will produce good at-bats and make the plays defensively. They also believe top shortstop prospect Tim Anderson might be ready before the end of the season.

Reports of the White Sox’s interest in Dodgers right fielder Andre Ethier were overstated. The team, however, is active on multiple fronts; the addition of Fowler or another outfielder would make right fielder Avisail Garcia expendable, and other scenarios surely are in play.

DODGERS

Alex Guerrero, not Ethier, is the player the Dodgers are most likely to move before spring training. As I reported Thursday, the Dodgers are talking about Guerrero with numerous clubs. They probably would not get much in return; Guerrero’s best position is DH, and if traded he can become a free agent at the end of the season.

As for Andre Ethier, the Dodgers have talked about trading him at various points, even indicating a willingness to pay down the $38 million remaining on the final two years of his contract.

Ethier, who will play this season at 34, also gains full no-trade rights on April 21, seemingly adding to the team’s urgency. Problem is, Ethier was one of the Dodgers’ best hitters in the second half of last season. And, at a time when the club isn’t sure what it will get out of Yasiel Puig and Joc Pederson, he might be too valuable to move.

Some potential suitors also are concerned about Ethier’s $17.5 million vesting option for 2018. The option will vest if Ethier reaches 550 plate appearances in 2017 or 1,100 plate appearances combined in ’16-17. Ethier, though, has averaged just 413 plate appearances in the Dodgers’ crowded outfield the past two seasons and might remain more of a platoon player going forward.

PADRES

GM A.J. Preller remains busy, inquiring about trades for prospects, talking about his own veterans. Right fielder Matt Kemp and catcher Derek Norris are the subjects of continued chatter, though neither is likely to be moved before the start of spring training.

Most teams view Kemp as a DH waiting to happen – the metrics last season portrayed him as one of the worst defensive right fielders in the game. Kemp, 31, rallied for an .868 OPS following the All-Star break after producing a .674 OPS before it but still is owed $72 million over four years.

Norris, who will turn 27 on Sunday, is due to earn $2.925 million this season, with two years of arbitration remaining. The Padres seemingly would prefer to go with their younger catchers, Austin Hedges and the recently acquired Christian Bethancourt.

While on the subject of catchers, let’s not forget the Brewers’ Jonathan Lucroy, who has drawn interest from the Rangers, Nationals and Athletics, among others.

Potential suitors figure to scout Lucroy in spring training to make sure he is fully recovered from the concussion he suffered near the end of last season. The Brewers, though, could hold him until the deadline or even next offseason.

ATHLETICS

They are willing to move designated hitter Billy Butler and discussed him as part of a trade that did not happen.

Whatever the deal was, it might have been their best shot.

Butler is owed $10 million in each of the next two seasons and was below-average offensively in each of the past two when adjusting his OPS to his league and ballpark. Not below-average for a DH. Below-average, period.

DIAMONDBACKS

Their recent trade for Jean Segura has prompted a flurry of inquiries about their infielders, but at least for the moment the D-backs do not plan to move any of them. They will look at Segura at shortstop first, then figure out what to do with shortstop Nick Ahmed and second baseman Chris Owings.

TWINS

GM Terry Ryan said on MLB Network Radio that he continues to look for pitching. Specifically, the Twins need a left-handed reliever; closer Glen Perkins currently is the only lefty in their ’pen.
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...e-sox-trade-rumors-hot-stove-rosenthal-021216

The A's trading away Donaldson and then turning around and giving Billy Butler $30m is one of the most baffling things in baseball.

Truthfact. I'm... not really sure what the A's are actually doing right now. They seem to be swinging from rebuild mode to win now back to rebuild. The track record of success built on nothing is there, so I can't complain about it, it's just confusing.

Davis is just a guy. Baffled that we were able to get Nottingham for him, but my boner is gigantic.

On the...plus? side you've never seen an arm like Davis'. It's.....well, it's worth the price of admission.

Between your boner and Khris' arm, I'm excited for the season to begin.

He's in Sacramento.

Oh God. Sorry. Well at least he has the River Cats. That's a fun yard.

Not true. Village Pizzeria does excellent New York-style pizza.

http://sfvillagepizzeria.com/

Noted!

RBH

MLB.tv is now available to purchase for the 2016 season:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?c_id=mlb?1#follow-your-team

sQYjCIE.png

dEHPsfU.png

xHbnnzo.png

MLB.TV, the sports industry’s longest-running streaming product, will carry several other major technological changes planned long before the Garber settlement last month, as well. The streaming video on connected TV platforms will be presented with a video quality of 60 frames per second, a high-definition resolution twice the prior rate. The 60 frames per second resolution also is available in the rebuilt NHL.TV, now supported by MLBAM as part of the large-scale digital rights deal struck between MLBAM and the NHL last year.

In addition, MLB.TV on the relaunched Apple TV streaming video platform will offer live statistics and pitch tracking synced to the video; in-game notifications; and a split-screen option that allows fans to watch two games at once. MLBAM debuted those features in September at an Apple special event unveiling the new Apple TV.

Similarly, this will be the first full season MLBAM will be able to take advantage of iPad multitasking made possible through last September’s release of Apple’s iOS 9 mobile operating system. That multitasking allows a user to watch a live game on the iPad while performing other functions.

The out-of-market package is buttressed by progress MLBAM is making on in-market streaming. After years of roadblocks, baseball’s digital arm last fall struck a three-year deal with Fox Sports to offer authenticated in-market live streaming to the 15 teams it holds rights to through its regional sports networks. MLBAM this season will offer “fast-app switching” to move users directly from MLB.TV to Fox Sports Go to view the in-market games.

The Garber settlement also creates a pathway for regional sports networks owned by Comcast and DirecTV to offer in-market streaming by 2017. And Bowman said “extensive negotiations” in this area continue with several entities, including the Fenway Sports Group-owned New England Sports Network.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/02/08/Media/MLB-TV.aspx

Top Bottom