• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

zroid

Banned
Wasn't McCann the best offensive catcher in the AL this year lol

edit: never mind he wasn't. he was still pretty good though!

J2 Cool

My IT guy at the office is a Mets fan. Genuinely feeling bad for him even after our Mets/Cubs series. Someone just came by and asked him if he was okay

- "You seem like your feeling blue"
-"No I'm not."
-"Too much partying on the weekend"
- "...yea"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Welcome everyone, just a reminder that the Mariners now hold the longest Post-season drought!! I demand respect from everyone here :cool:

You'd just show up to Mariners games to take advantage of all that room to nap.

1Dlb35O.jpg

rando14

Omg all this disrespect when I specifically asked for respect!! *pukes

Youll see, youll all see!! The M's will make it to the postseason once of these days years decades centuries!!

Ym5Wx87.gif

Beckx

Anyone know if Maeda is getting posted?

Seems like an interesting starter.

Given the value disparity (value of a starter like him to his club vs. the posting fee) it's unlikely that Hiroshima posts him until right before his final year. (Also, Otani is staying at least another year.) The most interesting potential cross overs this year are the Hawks' Nobuhiro Matsuda (3B, 35 HRs (dead ball)) and Dae-ho Lee (1B, 31 HRs, Japan series MVP), both of whom are FAs. I bet both stay in Japan but you never know. Of the two Lee seems more likely to leave, the Hawks are going to pay to keep Matsuda happy.

he can't take the mound every fifth day at the Major League level.

Based on?

Given the value disparity (value of a starter like him to his club vs. the posting fee) it's unlikely that Hiroshima posts him until right before his final year. (Also, Otani is staying at least another year.)

Based on?

The article I was just reading made it seem like the Carp could really use the money plus Maeda has pitched ridiculous innings the last few years.

Beckx

The article I was just reading made it seem like the Carp could really use the money plus Maeda has pitched ridiculous innings the last few years.

Japan Weekly Podcast guys (two baseball writers in Japan) covered this a few weeks back and what I posted was their view based on Hiroshima prior practice and the current value proposition. I'll link it. Edit: or I won't, it must have been a listener question because the show notes aren't helping me find it.

Mortemis

Banned

Youll see, youll all see!! The M's will make it to the postseason once of these days years decades centuries!!

Ym5Wx87.gif

Have some faith! Once *insert something that'll never happen* happens, we're in there!

Would any of Jays GAF do Travis + Pompey for Matt Harvey? Saw it posted on BBB...interesting proposal for sure.

Hmmm. I'm not sure. Jays have bats to spare... but they don't seem to have a plethora of youth.

I don't think Revere will get moved. I think the Jays really value his on-base offence and consider him better than the alternatives in LF.

Beckx

Also re Maeda and "ridiculous innings":

2015 - 206
2014 - 187
2013 - 175
2012 - 206
2011 - 216

(It would really be hard for a pitcher in NPB to rack up an innings total like, say, Kershaw, because they play fewer games.)

English language stats are here: http://bis.npb.or.jp/eng/players/

I look forward to what the Tigers are going to do this offseason.

Seems like the owner really wants to win but IDK if they have the roster or prospects to contend.

EDIT: Ridiculous was an overstatement, I believe they said Maeda has pitched the most in NPB over the last few seasons.

zroid

Banned
Hmmm. I'm not sure. Jays have bats to spare... but they don't seem to have a plethora of youth.

I don't think Revere will get moved. I think the Jays really value his on-base offence and consider him better than the alternatives in LF.

Revere will be too expensive IMO. I think they play Saunders in LF next year.

Beckx

EDIT: Ridiculous was an overstatement, I believe they said Maeda has pitched the most in NPB over the last few seasons.

Yeah, if he's not at the top he's probably close. Randy Messenger might edge him on average numbers of innings over the last 4 years, but Mess is just consistently hitting high 190s, never over 200.

He getting written up again because of the Sawamura award?

Meanwhile, in cross-border Yankees alumni news, Hideki Matsui may be an instructor at Tokyo Giants' spring training to help their new manager adjust.

Ym5Wx87.gif

If the Mariners go into the playoffs, hell will have frozen over, or the Seahawks suck again.

Josh5890

I think the NLCS would be different if Rizzo and Bryant hadn't struggled. Not saying we would have won, but we would probably at least won one game. My dream scenario this offseason would be Soler to the Braves for Teheran, resign Fowler, sign Heyward, and sign Zimmerman. That's a lot of $$$ though. So a few of those happening would be fine. Also kinda hesitant on trading Soler as his ceiling is very high.

I don't want Zimmerman if he is getting Lester $$$. Arrieta is getting a payday and eventually these bats will get their raise. I don't mind trading Soler if the return is good. Soler seems to hate the cold and this is Chicago after all.

I think we have a chance at keeping Fowler. Theo could convince him to take less money to stay. If he goes then the Cubs really need a leadoff bat.

jbug617

Banned
From Heyman.
https://t.co/ha460TNJXx
In a stunning twist, the Nationals manager job still isn't completely settled, and may still go to Dusty Baker, and not Bud Black.

The team was actually apparently leaning toward Baker today, according to people familiar with the situation.

There were believed to be be contract issues with Black, although the team liked Baker very much from the star.

Top Bottom