• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Was it not supposed to be completely obvious that he's staging it? You guys thought he really fell?

The original view was cut off so it looked like he tripped on the guy's foot. If you look on the comments when it happened we didn't think it was fake at all.

just finished watching yesterdays Mets game. what a great 9th inning! RUben Tejada's plate discipline is awesome and of course David continues hot streak.

Sanjuro

Darnell, NOOOOOOO

D4sVT.jpg

RBH

Before many of the 18 pitches he saw in his third rehab start for Double-A Portland on Thursday night, Boston Red Sox left fielder Carl Crawford was forced to tune out a heckler behind home plate.

The fan -- who Crawford claimed uttered "a racial slur" -- routinely made his feelings known with regard to the left fielder's $142 million contract and whether he was earning it.

The heckler's message: overrated, overpaid.

Crawford responded Thursday night in the fifth inning of Portland's 11-3 loss to the New Hampshire Fisher Cats by lacing a triple to right-center field at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium. He reached third base without drawing a throw.

After completing his night in the seventh inning, Crawford was asked about the fan and lingering animosity that may exist after his disappointing 2011 season, his first in Boston.

"Talking about that guy, he actually called me a racial slur to begin the game," said Crawford, who hit .255 with a .289 on-base percentage last season. "He was the only one I had a problem with. People in Boston don't even do that. So I don't know what that was about. It's not that bad in Boston, like that."
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story...ed-sox-carl-crawford-target-racial-slur-rehab

Braves/Phillies lineups. Howard back. Uggla dropped to #7.

Braves 7/6 Lineup:
1. Michael Bourn - CF
2. Martin Prado - LF
3. Jason Heyward - RF
4. Chipper Jones - 3B
5. Freddie Freeman - 1B
6. Brian McCann - C
7. Dan Uggla - 2B
8. Andrelton Simmons - SS
9. Tim Hudson - P

Phillies 7/6 Lineup:
1. Jimmy Rollins - SS
2. Shane Victorino - CF
3. Chase Utley - 2B
4. Ryan Howard - 1B
5. Carlos Ruiz - C
6. Hunter Pence - RF
7. Juan Pierre - LF
8. Mike Fontenot - 3B
9. Kyle Kendrick - P

RBH

The Orioles are “going hard” after Brewers right-hander Zack Greinke, an MLB executive told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. The Orioles appear to be the most aggressive suitor for Greinke, but talks are preliminary, Connolly reports. Some believe the Orioles and Braves are most likely to land Greinke, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports.

Brewers president of baseball operations Doug Melvin recently told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that his team is "trying to win games and get back in the hunt." The Brewers may wait until after facing the Reds, Pirates and Cardinals to determine their course of action this summer.

Executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette "absolutely" has financial support from ownership to take on salary this season, Connolly reports. Greinke, who’s on track for free agency this offseason, earns $13.5MM in 2012. The Brewers could obtain two compensatory draft picks for losing Greinke to free agency, but no other team has the same opportunity under baseball’s new collective bargaining agreement.

Duquette recently told Steve Melewski of MASNsports.com that he'd like to improve his team's rotation if possible. Top prospects Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy are probably off-bounds in trade talks. “They look to be long-term solutions to help the Orioles," Duquette said. The Orioles don’t want to trade young pitching, Connolly reports.

Greinke, 28, has a 3.08 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 2.0 BB/9 in 108 innings so far this year. Agent Casey Close has had some extensions talks with the Brewers on Greinke's behalf.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/orioles-going-hard-after-greinke.html

The Tigers have interest in Matt Garza, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports (Twitter links). The Cubs recently scouted Detroit's Erie affiliate, but talks are not serious. The Blue Jays, Indians, Reds, Red Sox, Diamondbacks and Cardinals all scouted Garza's start last night, Morosi adds.

The Cubs and Tigers discussed a deal involving Matt Garza this past January without reaching an agreement. Though the Tigers continue to get Cy Young-type production from Justin Verlander, starters Rick Porcello, Max Scherzer have been inconsistent so far this year.

Garza, 28, earns $9.5MM and will remain under team control through 2013. He has a 4.32 ERA with 8.3 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 through 93 2.3 innings.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/tigers-interested-in-matt-garza.html

We hear a lot of talk about buyers and sellers this time of year, but as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports points out in his latest column, some teams will do neither this summer and other teams will do both. Here are Rosenthal’s latest notes with less than four weeks to go before July 31st:

• The Red Sox could be positioned to trade an outfielder this month if their rehabbing players return as expected. Boston figures to pursue starting depth in trades; the Red Sox aren’t considering trades involving Josh Beckett.
  • The Yankees will probably not sign Josh Hamilton or Cole Hamels this offseason, since they aim to avoid the MLB luxury tax by 2014 and that means cutting back on extravagant free agent signings.
  • Under GM Frank Wren the Braves won more games while spending less money than every team but the Rays from 2009-11, Rosenthal notes.
  • If the Blue Jays trade players on the brink of free agency such as Edwin Encarnacion and Kelly Johnson, they’d look to acquire players who can help them win next year. And if the Blue Jays don’t like what other teams are offering, they’ll keep their potential free agents. Toronto’s not likely to overpay in a “go for it” trade, Rosenthal writes.
  • The Blue Jays aren’t trading Colby Rasmus, who has become more driven, according to a team official.
  • Rosenthal suggests the Athletics could look to acquire players midseason if they stay in the playoff mix. Bartolo Colon is the player the A’s are most likely to trade, Rosenthal writes.
  • The Mets are actively seeking relief help, but it’s highly doubtful they’d trade for Huston Street, who publicly criticized Mets bench coach Bob Geren last year. The Mets, who insist they won’t trade top prospects, are likely to wait until the end of the month before making any trades.
  • The Cardinals wouldn’t be willing to meet the Brewers’ asking price for Zack Greinke, Rosenthal notes. St. Louis is more likely to pursue a mid-rotation starter.
  • The Diamondbacks believe they need a third baseman more than a starting pitcher.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/rosenthal-on-red-sox-blue-jays-greinke-as.html

Billy Beane did not deny that he's spoken to Tampa Bay Rays regarding Kurt Suzuki but he did confirm that he talks to Friedman frequently
https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/221337944219320320

Matt Holliday added to the NL All-Star Team, replacing Yadier Molina, who was placed on the family emergency medical list today.

Updated NL Roster:

National League

Starting Lineup
C - Buster Posey
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Dan Uggla
3B - Pablo Sandoval
SS - Rafael Furcal
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - Melky Cabrera
OF - Ryan Braun

Pitchers
SP - Matt Cain
SP - R.A. Dickey
SP - Gio Gonzalez
SP - Cole Hamels
SP - Clayton Kershaw
SP - Lance Lynn
SP - Wade Miley
SP - Stephen Strasburg
RP - Aroldis Chapman
RP - Joel Hanrahan
RP - Craig Kimbrel
RP - Jonathan Papelbon
RP - Huston Street

Bench
C - Yadier Molina (will not play due to family emergency)
C - Carlos Ruiz
1B - Brian LaHair
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - David Freese
3B - Chipper Jones (injury substitute for Matt Kemp)
3B - David Wright
SS - Ian Desmond
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
OF - Matt Holliday (subtitute for Yadier Molina)
OF - Matt Kemp (will not play due to injury)
OF - Andrew McCutchen
OF - Giancarlo Stanton

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Molina will likely not be at the All Star game, Matt Holiday to replace him

Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday has been named by 2012 National League All-Star manager Tony La Russa to replace Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina on the NL's active roster for the 83rd All-Star Game, Major League Baseball announced today.

Molina, a four-time NL All-Star who was elected to the 2012 Midsummer Classic via the Player Ballot, is being placed on the family medical emergency list.

Because the top three catchers on the Player Ballot were already invited to the All-Star Game, Molina's replacement was determined by the manager in conjunction with Major League Baseball.

Holliday is now an All-Star for the sixth time (2006-2008, 2010-2012) in his career. The 32-year-old entered Friday's play batting .318 with 14 home runs, 56 RBI, a .397 on-base percentage and a .526 slugging percentage in his 80 games played this season.

Hope everything is ok, family emergencies are very tough.

Edit: Darn you Enigma!

clav

Ryan Howard is starting his 2012 career tonight.

Wondering if I should start him in my fantasy team.

What do you guys think? I haven't really paid attention to how well he was doing during his rehab assignment.

Ryan Howard is starting his 2012 career tonight.

Wondering if I should start him in my fantasy team.

What do you guys think? I haven't really paid attention to how well he was doing during his rehab assignment.

Howard's numbers against Hudson are sick. .327/.429/.712 with 6 home runs and 14 RBIs in 52 at-bats.

turnbuckle

It seems all the Tigers fans that posted here last year forgot this thread was moved to the community forum. Heck, I hardly ever check the thread anymore either. I miss the good ole days of being stickied in the OT. :(

Went to the Tigers/Twins game on the 4th - started 2 hours late due to rain and a flash flood warning. Maybe, just maybe we'll be at or above .500 before the break. Or, we could be 7.5 back

It seems all the Tigers fans that posted here last year forgot this thread was moved to the community forum. Heck, I hardly ever check the thread anymore either. I miss the good ole days of being stickied in the OT. :(

Went to the Tigers/Twins game on the 4th - started 2 hours late due to rain and a flash flood warning. Maybe, just maybe we'll be at or above .500 before the break. Or, we could be 7.5 back

I like dwelling in the abyss. It keeps us away from impurities.

New York Mets Lineup:
1) Ruben Tejada SS
2) Ronny Cedeno 2B
3) David Wright 3B
4) Scott Hairston LF
5) Lucas Duda RF
6) Justin Turner 1B
7) Mike Nickeas C
8) Kirk Nieuwenhuis CF
9) Johan Santana LHP

Chicago Cubs Lineup:
1) Reed Johnson RF
2) Darwin Barney SS
3) Anthony Rizzo 1B
4) Alfonso Soriano LF
5) Scott Baker 2B
6) Geovany Soto C
7) Joe Mather CF
8) Luis Valbuena 3B
9) Travis Wood LHP

Mets wearing the blue "Los Mets" jerseys tonight

AxJeBOoCAAMij7G.jpg

turnbuckle

I like dwelling in the abyss. It keeps us away from impurities.

It sort of feels like how it used to be - a thread represented mostly by Braves/Mets/Yankees fans. It was fun to point out jango since he was the lone Orioles fan here and was getting excited for an overperforming team, but the thread now moves so slow and has so few active posters that I'm stuck sitting at a few different team-specific forums.

Feels bad man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom