• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Marlins attendance situation has to be really worrying for the league. Even the Pirates drew well when the new stadium opened. Usually people will come just because it is new, but the team also spent a ton in the offseason, and yet the attendance has been poor right from the start.

Owner and team president fucked over the tax payers of Miami, fuck them.

Blaming the weather for bad attendance at an indoor game. It's time officially admit Seattle is a garbage baseball town. Move the team to Indianapolis. Their minor league team probably outdrawn the Marlins.

Closing the roof at Safeco doesn't qualify as indoors. Do you think that walking outside with an umbrella on a rainy day means you're still indoors?

But yeah, attendance is down. Shit sucks.

The Marlins attendance situation has to be really worrying for the league. Even the Pirates drew well when the new stadium opened. Usually people will come just because it is new, but the team also spent a ton in the offseason, and yet the attendance has been poor right from the start.

How bad has it been? Maury Brown from biz of baseball said they were drawing about 78 percent capacity after opening day, which isnt bad but isnt good either. I think he said new stadiums draw 90 % higher.

How bad has it been? Maury Brown from biz of baseball said they were drawing about 78 percent capacity after opening day, which isnt bad but isnt good either. I think he said new stadiums draw 90 % higher.

I hadnt heard an exat number, just yesterday I heard that the attendance was well below expectations. People have been saying for years that fans dont come out because the stadium sucked and the owner never spends money on players. Both of those things were fixed so I thought they would be drawing really well.

eznark

Banned
Closing the roof at Safeco doesn't qualify as indoors. Do you think that walking outside with an umbrella on a rainy day means you're still indoors?

But yeah, attendance is down. Shit sucks.

I've never had an umbrella that eliminated all precipitation, completely enclosed me indoors and significantly raised the temperature before. You need to patent and sell your amazing umbrella technology.

Macattk15

Blaming the weather for bad attendance at an indoor game. It's time officially admit Seattle is a garbage baseball town. Move the team to Indianapolis. Their minor league team probably outdrawn the Marlins.

You're retarded aren't you? Ever been to Seattle when the roof is closed.

safeco11950.jpg

See all that open space? Yeah its still just as fucking cold "under" the roof .... as evidenced by being able to see Felix's breath after he stuck out 2 in the 8th last night.

eznark

Banned
You're retarded aren't you? Ever been to Seattle when the roof is closed.

safeco11950.jpg

See all that open space? Yeah its still just as fucking cold "under" the roof .... as evidenced by being able to see Felix's breath after he stuck out 2 in the 8th last night.

Careful, harmless jabs are now bannable.

Field temperature was 62 according to the start time info. You said it was 45 outside?

I hadnt heard an exat number, just yesterday I heard that the attendance was well below expectations. People have been saying for years that fans dont come out because the stadium sucked and the owner never spends money on players. Both of those things were fixed so I thought they would be drawing really well.

Agreed.

Macattk15

Careful, harmless jabs are now bannable.

Field temperature was 62 according to the start time info. You said it was 45 outside?

Where are you getting that?

Looking at gameday ...

Weather : 55 degrees, roof closed.
Wind : 0 mph.

Regardless ... I'd rather sit inside and watch a game on TV while waiting for warmer weather than sit in 50-60 degree temperatures.

Seattle fans come out when the team is good, sadly that is few and far between. They've shown in the past that if the field product is good, the city will support it .... too bad the on-field product is shit.

Sanjuro

If they sold two foot hot dogs, I'd be there! Seattle's attendance really has been "that" bad? They lead the league about a decade ago. I only believed they dropped down to average territory.

Macattk15

I made it up, but I knew it would be significantly warmer!

Why not build the sliding panels to cover that space?

I dunno, ask the architects. Some genius thought it'd be awesome to still have open air coming in from left field .... guess they forgot that Seattle is f'ing cold and shitty during April & May and again in October (not that games are played often during that timeframe).

If they sold two foot hot dogs, I'd be there! Seattle's attendance really has been "that" bad? They lead the league about a decade ago. I only believed they dropped down to average territory.

Fans are disgusted with the front office and on-field product. I believe the attendance numbers are showing this. I can't wait until the Mariners are sold to someone else soon.

eznark

Banned
I dunno, ask the architects. Some genius thought it'd be awesome to still have open air coming in from left field .... guess they forgot that Seattle is f'ing cold and shitty during April & May and again in October (not that games are played often during that timeframe)..

Yeah, the solution to that is sliding panels. It makes the stadium fully convertible from outdoor to indoor.

Macattk15

They won 116 games about a decade ago.

Sadness.

Maybe they won't suck someday .... the three headed behemoth in AA needs to get brought up to bring some excitement to Seattle.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=paxton001jam
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=walker001tai
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hultze001dan

Yeah, the solution to that is sliding panels. It makes the stadium fully convertible from outdoor to indoor.

That is probably too big of a modification to do I would imagine. The logistics of how the roof rolls closed and how it would interact with these sliding panels seems tough to manage.

You can win the division in Tampa, doesn't mean people will show up for the postseason games.

That is more due to the location of the stadium and quality of the stadium I would imagine though.

Hansel?

Neo Member
Meh. Even with the roof closed it was still like 45 degrees and raining outside.

Not exactly the weather most people would want to sit through a baseball game in.

Was there last night in the 300 sections (as a Cleveland fan) and it wasn't too bad. Inside the stadium is a bit warmer, but it is definitely almost freezing when you're out in the concessions and such. Been to 3 games now this season (the opening day shit show, second game, and last night), and the latter two have been pretty awful from a support standpoint. I guess maybe Noesi isn't quite the "celebrity" Felix is, but with 2 outs in the 8th inning and a 2 strike count in a shutout to that point against Oakland I felt like the only one standing and clapping. It was silent from where I was sitting. It's just depressing. I'm going to Saturday and Sunday vs. Chicago this weekend. I hope it's a better atmosphere, especially with the much better weather forecast.

Something needs to start happening.

Macattk15

Was there last night in the 300 sections (as a Cleveland fan) and it wasn't too bad. Inside the stadium is a bit warmer, but it is definitely almost freezing when you're out in the concessions and such. Been to 3 games now this season (the opening day shit show, second game, and last night), and the latter two have been pretty awful from a support standpoint. I guess maybe Noesi isn't quite the "celebrity" Felix is, but with 2 outs in the 8th inning and a 2 strike count in a shutout to that point against Oakland I felt like the only one standing and clapping. It was silent from where I was sitting. It's just depressing. I'm going to Saturday and Sunday vs. Chicago this weekend. I hope it's a better atmosphere, especially with the much better weather forecast.

Something needs to start happening.

Team needs to stop being shit! That is the something.

Houston series was 30, 31.5, and 34, that was a weekend series, Cubs series during the week was quite low 24.5, 25.7 and 23.2, They started doing a new $10 ticket plan recently which I think is because of the attendance. Averaging 29k in 7 games. The stadium can hold 37k.

Even then all these numbers are well above what they were in Sun Life, and they have 3 times as many season ticket holders at around 15k which is close to the average amount of fans in Sun Life.

The Marlins still have to lure fans back to the park and stumbling in the first several games did not help.

No more wretched hive of scum and villainy than Fenway.

However, respect to the Sox OGs strutting around out there.
Especially Nomar, whose dedication to warming the bench on 7/1/2004 settled the silly Jeter v Nomar debates for all eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom