• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos

best offseason acquisition by far

Every time a hitter has been struggling (Pastornicky, Freeman, etc.) they take a game or two off and then return with a vengance. Whatever alterations/corrections to the swings and video study that they have done has worked out great so far.

edit: nottu thissu shittu againnu kimbrel!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
i need to check if kimbrel's actually throwing more balls or if hitters are just swinging less at his outside stuff

carlos

i need to check if kimbrel's actually throwing more balls or if hitters are just swinging less at his outside stuff

From what I remember, it's usually just a matter of the first hitter, maybe he's coming in too amped and overthrowing and walking the first guy then settling down. He's usually missing badly, so no need to swing, I believe.

1st and 3rd now....

My god what a frustrating game for the Phils tonight. Mayberry should have caught that ball in the 8th. Sucks they keep losing games like this.

Binx

From what I remember, it's usually just a matter of the first hitter, maybe he's coming in too amped and overthrowing and walking the first guy then settling down. He's usually missing badly, so no need to swing, I believe.

1st and 3rd now....
I agree. 2nd game in a row ( at least) where he's walked the leadoff guy. But a pitch chart would be interesting to see.

Nice but nervous win!

Woo! Insert appropriate .gif here.

And Cygnus, I said it earlier, but I agree. Down five runs and you might as well call it a night last year.

Unfortunately the pitching has taken a step back. Hopefully THUD will get there, he has been rough around the edges early.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Cardinals lost (boo!), but the Rays won (yay!) and now they have the best record in baseball, so double yay!

At the time of this post(12:39 AM EST) Albert Pujols still has zero home runs. So how many people have more than him? 264

New additions to the club: Jose Molina, Cliff Pennington, Eric Hinske, Shin-Soo Choo, Jhonny Peralta, Mark Reynolds, Jerry Hairston Jr, and Chad Tracy. Nice job guys!

Well home runs aren't everything, right? How about some RBIs, still getting those runs on the board. Nope. Still at 5 RBIs for the season he is now tied for 217th with 40 other players.

Ok, well no RBIs, maybe no one was on base, so he should set an example and get on base, or at least a hit. Nope. Going 0 for 4 tonight Albert's batting average has dropped to .194 in 108 at bats. Yikes. He is tied for 170th with JJ Hardy(who has 4 more home runs and 3 more RBIs).

Fenix

Cardinals lost (boo!), but the Rays won (yay!) and now they have the best record in baseball, so double yay!

At the time of this post(12:39 AM EST) Albert Pujols still has zero home runs. So how many people have more than him? 264

New additions to the club: Jose Molina, Cliff Pennington, Eric Hinske, Shin-Soo Choo, Jhonny Peralta, Mark Reynolds, Jerry Hairston Jr, and Chad Tracy. Nice job guys!

Well home runs aren't everything, right? How about some RBIs, still getting those runs on the board. Nope. Still at 5 RBIs for the season he is now tied for 217th with 40 other players.

Ok, well no RBIs, maybe no one was on base, so he should set an example and get on base, or at least a hit. Nope. Going 0 for 4 tonight Albert's batting average has dropped to .194 in 108 at bats. Yikes. He is tied for 170th with JJ Hardy(who has 4 more home runs and 3 more RBIs).
OPS in danger of falling below .500.

Pujols' line at this point last season: .233/.309/.417 He had 7 HRs already though. I'm guessing if you were to remove those HRs, his slash stats would be otherwise comparable. I don't know where to get park factor info that accounts for batter-handedness but ESPN is telling me Busch and Angel stadiums aren't too different in their ability to suppressing the long ball the past few seasons. Of his first 7 HRs last season, 2 were "no-doubters", 2 were "plenty", and 3 were "just enough".

FWIW he didn't really get in a groove until May 30th last year after which he went .322/.388/.623 the rest of the way.

Bombista must be loving this laying low with his .177 avg ....He must be watching too much Carlos Pena videos

E: Jim Johnson gonna have the most saves this year in AL? sleeper pick

ZeroRay

Would be fitting if Baker got the winning hit with Cameron scoring...

Only way it would be more fitting was if it was against Bell.

Edit: Watching Dobbs bunt is excruciating.

EDIT 2: INFANTE, YOU GOD AMONG MEN!

cube444

On Pujols:

ANAHEIM -- Frustrations surrounding the mystifying early-season struggles of the iconic Albert Pujols finally made themselves audible at Angel Stadium on Friday night, when a large portion of the 33,160 in attendance noticeably booed the prized slugger as he finished 0-for-4 to put his batting average at .194 and his homerless streak at a single-season career high of 108 at-bats.

Pujols -- leaning back on his rolling chair in the Angels' clubhouse, as teammates scurried out after a 4-0 defeat to the Blue Jays -- didn't blame them.

"If I could boo myself, I'd boo myself, too," Pujols said. "But I know better than to just get myself down. My message to the fans is that they have a reason. They have a reason to boo. I'm not performing the way that I can. But just the way that I'm patient, they need to be patient in knowing that I'm going to be here for 10 years. And I don't read the future, but I guarantee you there's going to be more cheers than boos in those 10 years."

Pujols-Homers.jpg

This can't possibly continue much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom