• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reds win it on a 355-foot homer to the right-center power alley.

Why is this park allowed to have the most bullshit dimensions?
Same reason Philly and a number of new parks are allowed to. If you build what is deemed as a "retro-style" park (Retro-classic/Retro-modern) you can skirt the dimensions rule that Bud Selig doesn't enforce anyway.

See Minute Maid Park
See Citizens Bank Playground
See New Yankee Stadium

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Where is MrBob? I want to laugh at him.

ToxicAdam

Indians are going to be resting a lot of guys tomorrow for the day game. Either Verlander pitches another near no-hitter or gets shelled. That's how baseball works.

Same reason Philly and a number of new parks are allowed to. If you build what is deemed as a "retro-style" park (Retro-classic/Retro-modern) you can skirt the dimensions rule that Bud Selig doesn't enforce anyway.

See Minute Maid Park
See New Yankee Stadium

408 to center
399 to left center
385 to right
oh no... 314 down the right field line....
give it a rest frank.

eznark

Banned

See Minute Maid Park
See New Yankee Stadium

It's not the style but the land restrictions.

eznark

Banned
Find a fucking better place to build your stadium then.

Fuck that, downtown stadiums are rad.

Why do people care about the dimensions so much? Both teams get to hit at the same walls.
Because the Reds and Astros won't stop winning World Series. They are basically unstoppable forces of win since building GAB and Minute Maid.

Im with ya. Both teams have the dimensions, fuck it.

I can in the NFL were the Giants and Jets would open up the exits and let in wind when the other team would attempt to kick FGs. That shit was straight up cheating, but aslong as the home team cant move the walls it doesnt affect the outcome at all.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people care about the dimensions so much? Both teams get to hit at the same walls.

I think it might be due to the fact that half of a teams entire schedule is in that park, where at most, 12 of another teams games are in that park. So they get much more opportunities to use the advantage.

But either way, I enjoy the variety of parks, it's one of the unique things about baseball that other sports don't have.

eznark

Banned
I think it might be due to the fact that half of a teams entire schedule is in that park, where at most, 12 of another teams games are in that park. So they get much more opportunities to use the advantage.

But either way, I enjoy the variety of parks, it's one of the unique things about baseball that other sports don't have.

They also have more opportunities to get burned. Teams like Colorado (in the past), Cincinnati, Houston etc. struggle to sign young FA pitchers because they have to play in those bandboxes.

I think the net result is probably neutral. If it weren't you'd be able to point to significant trends in wins and losses based on park values.

Talon

They also have more opportunities to get burned. Teams like Colorado (in the past), Cincinnati, Houston etc. struggle to sign young FA pitchers because they have to play in those bandboxes.

I think the net result is probably neutral. If it weren't you'd be able to point to significant trends in wins and losses based on park values.
Ballparks probably don't come into too much consideration when it comes to signing. Finances and the team you've built are much more relevant to a FA.

Otherwise SD and Oak would be a pitcher's paradise.

eznark

Banned
Ballparks probably don't come into too much consideration when it comes to signing. Finances and the team you've built are much more relevant to a FA.

Based on the handful of times it has come up in anecdotes (so highly reliable!) the ballpark issue is a big factor for first contract guys. Agents don't want their guys signing a deal in Cincy until they've already had one big contract under their belt. It's an issue because it affects future earning potential. Agents keeping their young FA's from Colorado used to be as important as agents keeping their slugging catchers from being moved to first.

If SD and Oakland could afford guys, they would have no problem signing them. Obviously guys who are good will have options other than the dregs to choose from in more neutral ballparks.

But yeah, enough money overcomes all other issues.

I remember when the Phillies announced their dimensions and people said they would never get a FA pitcher to sign there.

ToxicAdam

Cabrera/Fielder fail again. They must have 15 LOB between them in this series.

edit update: Holy shit, you should have seen Verlander in the 8th. That was fucking sick.

aFIGurANT

WHY DOES DETROIT SUCK SO BAD??? Verlander getting the 2k12/kate upton curse in full force it seems. I think he's had this same outcome at least 4 other times, the first collapse against TB not included. Something is up over there.

Malo

Banned
Keith Law released his updated Top 25 prospects ranking and Dylan Bundy is his number one prospect in baseball with Moore, Harper, and Trout all in the big leagues. At number two is Jurickson Profar, and number three is Manny Machado. Baltimore has two of the top three prospects, good for them.

For us yankees fans, Mason Williams placed 24th and Baunelos would have made it if he wasn't on the dl.

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/05/williams-ranks-24th-on-laws-midseason-top-25-prospects-list-69079/
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=7963607&_slug_=dylan-bundy-baltimore-orioles-new-no-1-prospect-baseball-mlb&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstory%3fid%3d7963607%26_slug_%3ddylan-bundy-baltimore-orioles-new-no-1-prospect-baseball-mlb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom