• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is now officially a three-way tie for first in the NL East.

Code:
             W    L    PCT    GB
Nationals   30   22   .577    --
Marlins     31   23   .574    --
Mets        31   23   .574    --
Braves      29   25   .537    2.0
Phillies    28   27   .509    3.5

nocode

Niese was at 96 pitches and had apparently been having dizzy spells. It wouldnt surprise me if Collins decided not to take a risk and get him out.

He had that elevated heart rate thing again from last year.

As for the bullpen, hopefully help is on the way is what it sounds like. What an amazing weekend of Met Beisball Gonna take a late lunch to listen to the first hour of the game tomorrow. Take four from the Cards, COME ON!

Mets announced their rotation this week:

Dillon Gee vs. Cardinals
Chris Young (with Miguel Batista his backup) at Nationals
R.A. Dickey on short rest OR Jeremy Hefner at Nationals
Johan Santana at Nationals
Jon Niese at Yankees
Dillon Gee at Yankees

piggybacking on clemenx's post:
The Pirates are converting high-priced prospect Stetson Allie from pitcher to hitter, the Tribune-Review has learned.

Allie, 21, was the team’s second-round draft pick in 2010, signing for $2.25 million, well above Major League Baseball’s recommended slot. His value was in velocity that routinely topped 100 mph while at St. Edward High near Cleveland.

Neal Huntington, the Pirates’ general manager, said the change was made “recently.” No new position was specified, but Allie played third base in high school.

“Stetson was one of the few athletes in each draft to be considered a prospect as a pitcher and as a hitter,” Huntington said Sunday night from Bradenton, Fla. “We believed his highest upside was as a pitcher. We obviously were very pleased to sign him as a pitcher. Since then, we’ve faced some challenges with him as a pitcher.”

At the time of Allie’s draft, other teams acknowledged his arm — most publications called it the strongest available — but were scared off because of his lack of control. That proved to be his undoing as a pitcher.

In 15 appearances last season for Single-A short-season State College, Allie had a 6.58 ERA while striking out 28 and walking 29 in 26 innings. This season, he made only two appearances for Single-A West Virginia in which he walked eight while recording two total outs. After the last appearance April 20, he was removed from action to try to refine his delivery.

That failing, the team allowed Allie to take batting practice recently in Bradenton “in an effort to free up his athleticism,” Huntington said. “Through that process, the determination was made that our best next step is to make the conversion full-time to position player.”

Allie didn’t try pitching until his senior year of high school, when he went 9-1 with a 1.51 ERA and 134 strikeouts in 60 innings. As a senior, he batted .500 with 14 doubles, three home runs and 32 RBI. As a junior, he played third base and shortstop and batted .450 with seven homers and 37 RBI.

Allie was recruited by North Carolina, but he passed up a scholarship to sign with the Pirates.

The Pirates’ previous management team made a highly controversial decision to convert John Van Benschoten, their first-round pick in 2001, from hitter to pitcher after drafting him. Van Benschoten, the NCAA’s home run leader that year at Kent State, still blames the team for his career in the majors fizzling.

clemenx

Banned
Goldstein said:
As a high school third baseman, Stetson Allie had crazy raw power and a ton of swing and miss. 3rd-5th round talent

Doesn't sound too bad. But damn, he must look hopeless on the mound because this sounds rather early for giving up pitching. He only has one short season under his belt... but oh well.

Stetson Allie's pitching career ends at 26.2 IP, 37 BB, 10 HBP, 10 WP.
:lol :lol

cashman

Banned
is that going to be any good or worth watching?

It's not like we'll be able to post about it either.

Watching it is pretty boring. Twitter on the other hand will be pretty crazy. Talent hasn't really separated itself, and there are new rules so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Malo

Banned
What are the new rules?
The new slotting system that limits how much you can spend in the draft.

The sides added heavy restrictions on draft spending. Each club has a spending limit for the amateur draft that varies depending on when the club is scheduled to make its first ten selections. Bonuses after the tenth round don't count, as long as they're under $100K. Teams will face limits in the $4.5-11.5MM range

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cba-details-luxury-tax-draft-.html

Jesus, I was so out of it today I thought the Yankees lost 5-1...
KuGsj.gif

squall211

Mets announced their rotation this week:

Dillon Gee vs. Cardinals
Chris Young (with Miguel Batista his backup) at Nationals
R.A. Dickey on short rest OR Jeremy Hefner at Nationals
Johan Santana at Nationals
Jon Niese at Yankees
Dillon Gee at Yankees

I don't understand why they'd consider throwing Dickey out there on short rest. He's been other worldly this year. Why fuck with his turn in the rotation at all? Give Santana an extra two days and pitch him Friday against the Yankees. It sucks that he'd miss the Nationals series, but I'd rather he get the extra two days.

verbum

Why are the Mets-Cardinals playing at 1:00 PM today after a night game on Sunday? Why not make it 4 PM? Give the guys some rest.
MLB is going wear these players out with these 30 games in 31 days and "no rest for the weary" scheduling decisions. I think the Commissioner should travel some of the schedules, especially in July/August in Texas, Georgia, and Florida.

Why are the Mets-Cardinals playing at 1:00 PM today after a night game on Sunday? Why not make it 4 PM? Give the guys some rest.
MLB is going wear these players out with these 30 games in 31 days and "no rest for the weary" scheduling decisions. I think the Commissioner should travel some of the schedules, especially in July/August in Texas, Georgia, and Florida.

It's baseball dude, the manager can find days to rest older guys.

eznark

Banned

Fuck that, the Brewers played a night game in LA on Thursday (ended around 2 EST) and had to fly back and play an evening game on Friday. They arrived in Milwaukee around 7 am and played that night? Bullshit.

Mets and Cardinals had basically no travel in their turnaround. Fuck yo' tears!

verbum

It's baseball dude, the manager can find days to rest older guys.

They can still find a way to break up a "20 games with no break" stretch with a day off. I know the teams back in the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's traveled a lot but they were not playing 160 games.

eznark

Banned
They can still find a way to break up a "20 games with no break" stretch with a day off. I know the teams back in the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's traveled a lot but they were not playing 160 games.

That was before the unions and broadcasters cried about double headers. When you can regularly play two on a saturday it's easy to have days off.

verbum

Fuck that, the Brewers played a night game in LA on Thursday (ended around 2 EST) and had to fly back and play an evening game on Friday. They arrived in Milwaukee around 7 am and played that night? Bullshit.

Mets and Cardinals had basically no travel in their turnaround. Fuck yo' tears!

And they lost, probably because they had no rest. I will cry for the Brewers as well (at least you won't be alone anymore).

That was before the unions and broadcasters cried about double headers.
I think it was the corporate overlords being greedy and wanting more ad revenue. The valiant workers would not do that to themselves.

eznark

Banned
And they lost, probably because they had no rest. I will cry for the Brewers as well (at least you won't be alone anymore).

I think it was the corporate overlords being greedy and wanting more ad revenue. The valiant workers would not do that to themselves.

True, a lazy union stooge would cut off their own leg for a few extra days off. That seems to be inversely proportional to the actual days you work. The less you work the more you need to be coddled. Fucking teachers.

True, a lazy union stooge would cut off their own leg for a few extra days off. That seems to be inversely proportional to the actual days you work. The less you work the more you need to be coddled. Fucking teachers.

LOL. Your posts are always good for a laugh.

verbum

I certainly want a job where I have every weekend, holiday, and at least one summer month off. It works for France. Why not here?

Back to baseball:
The origin of the position of shortstop was not to assist in fielding the ball but to relay throws from the outfield. The baseball was lighter back then and it was hard to throw it 200 feet so they put the "shortstop" on the field to catch the throws from the outfield and relay them to the other players.

Daniel Lucas “Doc” Adams, one of the original players for the New York Knickerbockers before 1850. Thorn quotes Adams himself from interviews given when the former player was an advanced age near the end of the century: “I used to play shortstop,” Adams reminisced, “and I believe I was the first one to occupy that place, as it had formerly been left uncovered.”

But when Adams first went out to short, it was not to bolster the infield but to assist in relays from the outfield. The early Knickerbocker ball was so light that it could not be thrown even two hundred feet, thus the need for a short fielder to send the ball in to the pitcher’s point…When the ball was wound tighter, gaining more hardness and resilience, it could be hit farther and, crucially, thrown farther. This permitted the shortstop to come into the infield, which Adams did.

You'll need those chuckles after the PS+ price raise.

I am sure they are going to charge more for it. Hopefully it wont be to much more, or at least they give more stuff to make it worth it. For the most part PS+ has been worth it, some lean months but most of the time they have good stuff. Supposedly they are adding more retail games which will be nice.

eznark

Banned
I am sure they are going to charge more for it. Hopefully it wont be to much more, or at least they give more stuff to make it worth it. For the most part PS+ has been worth it, some lean months but most of the time they have good stuff. Supposedly they are adding more retail games which will be nice.

It was so shit at first. I reupped last month though. I'm happy with it, I just like giving viral marketers shit.

It was so shit at first. I reupped last month though. I'm happy with it, I just like giving viral marketers shit.

You gonna double dip on Diablo 3 if it comes out for PS3/Vita? I skipped it due to the always online DRM, but hopefully that wont be true of the console version.

eznark

Banned
You gonna double dip on Diablo 3 if it comes out for PS3/Vita? I skipped it due to the always online DRM, but hopefully that wont be true of the console version.

Probably not, I've put in like 30 hours and am done for awhile. Maybe on Vita, though if it requires always on the battery will be dead in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom