• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
If only a shortstop was playing shortstop.
Fixed!

Huh?

I told McNei1y if they somehow managed to win, i'd be their fan. All odds were against them, how was I supposed to know they'd win?
How exactly were all odds against them? Do you even know what that term means? I'm not even going to get into just randomly selecting a favorite team off a win.

RBH

NOW HIT BRYCE HARPER IN THE RIBS

Fucking piece of shit Harper. I knew they should've just hit him in the ribs.

1st and 2nd, 1 out, Bryce Harper up.

hit him in the ribs.

HIT HARPER IN THE FUCKING RIBS

There no way Bryce Harper will bunt here. Just hit him in the ribs and let's worry about the next batter.

Bryce Harper. Great.

ibmtV44QlsqO9t.gif

If you hit Harper in the ribs there the winning run scores. The key is you have to have a base open so Harper knows the possibility of him being hit in the ribs exists.

G-Fex

Fixed!

How exactly were all odds against them? Do you even know what that term means? I'm not even going to get into just randomly selecting a favorite team off a win.

Alright fine. I won't fav them.

Goddamn dude.

Fucking crybaby whiner

McNei1y

You know what? That game was so bad it was good.

Appreciate the back and forth. A good win for the Nats.

Oh I agree. I called it the best worst game I've ever seen, in a long time at least.

I've experienced two of the greatest games with MLB-GAF. Baseballgeddon last year where the Phillies, Braves, and Red Sox collapsed. And I now experienced this. I like mets-GAF.

Alright fine. I won't fav them.

Goddamn dude.

:lol some hostility

G-Fex

Sorry, but it's been annoying the hell out of me. Maybe you're more ok with it because he "chose" your team. Maybe I'm overreacting, but the integrity of sports GAF is being undermined here!

Okay Doofus, but when I do pick a team sooner or later, I don't want to even see one goddamn word coming from you .

You got that you pitiful pit?

So says me, The King of Games.

Link

The Autumn Wind
KOG ignore link and all mest ilk, they just can't handle the constant and hilarious ways the Mest find to lose. you want to be a nats fans, you .are.
I just better not see him jumping ship when they hit a rough patch. I've had years taken off of my life being loyal to my team. That's fandom, dammit!

G-Fex

Which is funny cause I had the Mets on my semi-narrowed down list of teams.

Mets
Giants
Both Sox
Nats
Brewers
Astros

Yankees but they were removed

OK.

I just better not see him jumping ship when they hit a rough patch. I've had years taken off of my life being loyal to my team. That's fandom, dammit!

if I recall, you've been gone fromt his thread for years. and according to GAF sports law, that means you abandoned your fandom. let KOG become a fan of any team. we need all the fans we can get. hey, at least he's not Konex right? that's gotta count for something.

McNei1y

Sorry, but it's been annoying the hell out of me. Maybe you're more ok with it because he "chose" your team. Maybe I'm overreacting, but the integrity of sports GAF is being undermined here!

Eh i dont care. I recommended them when he first joined but i see what you're saying. He cant just go around and stay neutral forever though.

You should still be a nats fan ;)

Link

The Autumn Wind
if I recall, you've been gone fromt his thread for years. and according to GAF sports law, that means you abandoned your fandom.
I want to see that in writing. I had my reasons for being gone. I was still a fan even though I wasn't here.

let KOG become a fan of any team. we need all the fans we can get. hey, at least he's not Konex right? that's gotta count for something.
Fair enough.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
All things considered, Lincecum hasn't been that bad today.

His last couple of starts, he's been pretty much good outside of having a bad inning everytime, which has been his main issue as of late. Though he needs to be careful right now and not give up another big inning (man on 2nd, 3-0 count, 1 out).

XiaNaphryz

Interesting article over at ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8012095/baseball-pitch-counts-shifting-wisdom-best-training-arms

And most of the time, in another only-in-baseball paradox, the justification for the restrictions will be the desire to protect a hefty investment and keep the arm healthy. Many of the programs currently in use have their roots in injury-rehabilitation programs, which call for a gradual lengthening of distance from 30 feet to 120 feet as the elbow or shoulder recovers from surgery. Long-toss and mental-training guru Alan Jaeger has traced this phenomenon back to the early 1980s, when Tommy John surgery became more common and the medical community gained a louder voice inside organizations. At some point, this idea -- the 120 program -- became de rigueur for many big league teams. The problem, of course, is obvious: They're treating healthy arms as injured arms.

Gradually, almost incrementally, this is changing. The two best minor league pitching prospects right now are Dylan Bundy of the Orioles and Trevor Bauer of the Diamondbacks. Both were drafted last year, and both have superhuman training regimens based on -- get this -- actual throwing. They throw long toss up to 400 feet on the day of their starts and they throw the day after and every day in between. (When Bauer reaches the big leagues, which should be soon, his pregame routine could become the kind of spectacle that brings fans to the park early. Seriously, watching a guy throw the ball from foul pole to foul pole is pretty awesome.) They're throwing to train and training to throw, because they've been taught to rebel against the antiquated baseball adage that too much training -- and by training we mean throwing -- can be detrimental to a pitcher's career.

"The pitch count became necessary to compensate for the lack of training," Jaeger says. "Once the 120 program came into being, guys were undertrained and the pitch count became a necessary evil."

Kyle Zimmer figures to be a good test case on the elasticity of baseball's old guard. Drafted by the Royals with the fifth pick of the first round, Zimmer is a long-toss devotee who has utilized Jaeger's throwing program under the tutelage of pitching coach Greg Moore at the University of San Francisco. The throwing program is a big reason why Zimmer went from being a lightly recruited third baseman three years ago to the fifth pick in the draft, so why would he want to change? More importantly, why would the Royals want him to?

Jaeger interviewed 32 of the top 50 pitchers in Baseball America's top 100 for this year's draft, and he found that 28 routinely throw at least 300 feet during training sessions. For better or worse, baseball -- especially college baseball -- has become an upper-middle-class to upper-class suburban sport, and the young men playing it are educated about the most up-to-date training techniques. Through conversations at high-level tournaments and on the Internet, there aren't many secrets. These guys come armed with knowledge.

Tim Alderson was a first-round pick of the Giants in 2007. He was traded to the Pirates for Freddy Sanchez midway through the 2009 season after his velocity -- a consistent 91-93 mph in high school -- dropped to 84-85. Once considered one of the Giants' two untouchables (Madison Bumgarner was the other), Alderson was demoted to Class A by the Pirates and was as close to being out of baseball as a 22-year-old, uninjured former first-rounder could be.

Before the 2011 season, I visited Alderson in spring training for an ESPN The Magazine story on vanishing velocity. As a result of the story, Alderson made contact with Jaeger. Alderson was on a long-toss program in high school but was forced to adapt to the 120-foot throwing programs employed by the Giants and Pirates. With Jaeger's help and the Pirates' blessing, Alderson returned to the throwing regimen that had turned him into a first-round pick.

And this year, after being converted back to a starter, he's 3-1 with a 2.33 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP in 38 2/3 innings in Double-A. Alderson is once again being talked about as a legitimate big league prospect, which raises a question: Shouldn't the best arms in the world be getting better with exposure to the best coaching and most advanced techniques
?

Slowly, it could be happening. More teams are starting to believe that less isn't more. Change is out there, and it's coming from within. And it's the players who are taking matters into their own hands, calling on some old-school techniques to push the sport forward.

To elaborate, remember when CaptYamato was here and said he was a Yankee fan and we ALL shat on him? Don't see the difference between him and KOG.
the alcohol bill attached to being a mets fan must be enormous, i don't know how you guys do it.
For me not really this year. Remember, I've been kinda detached because it was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Last month I expected Mets to be 10-15 back by the end of June. Basically I've just enjoyed the ride... until tonight.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It definitely can't be pure coincidence that arm/elbow/shoulder injuries have become so much more common ever since pitchers have been more babied and handled with kid gloves.

EDIT -
the alcohol bill attached to being a mets fan must be enormous, i don't know how you guys do it.
A good paying job and plenty of milk thistle.

To elaborate, remember when CaptYamato was here and said he was a Yankee fan and we ALL shat on him? Don't see the difference between him and KOG.
I knew you'd have my back, Frank.

G-Fex

I respect the hell out of the Mets, cause Frankman is my good friend.

They're integrity is only equal to that of the Dodgers.

PFFT HAHAHAHAHAHA

XiaNaphryz

KOG came in from the start saying he was new and looking for a team.

Yamato essentially dropped in during the postseason and claimed allegience right away and was defending himself furiously.

LJ11

Yeah, but that dude put on a woe is me act. "You just don't understand how hard it is to be Yankee fan in Cali." HAHAHA

Oh the horror.

XiaNaphryz

Fan on the field just got mobbed by security, lol.

Yeah, but that dude put on a woe is me act. "You just don't understand how hard it is to be Yankee fan in Cali." HAHAHA

Oh the horror.

He also cut his avatar bet loss short and switched it out early.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It definitely can't be pure coincidence that arm/elbow/shoulder injuries have become so much more common ever since pitchers have been more babied and handled with kid gloves.
there are a lot of factors. kids seem to be throwing breaking pitches at an early age, throwing harder at an earlier age. can't be good. Then of course mlb pitchers seem to be throwing harder in general and players actually work out unlike 25 years ago so perhaps more muscles to get hurt. I think the biggest thing that has changed though is there is a lot more money put into these players so teams are more cautious and we can diagnose more injuries.

KOG came in from the start saying he was new and looking for a team.

Yamato essentially dropped in during the postseason and claimed allegience right away and was defending himself furiously.
KOG picked an out of market team and his choices:

Mets - 1st place (well tied back then)
Giants - Probably will win division (won a chip)
Both Sox - Both teams should compete for the division
Nats - 1st place
Brewers - Lots of white people
Astros - token bad team to throw us off.

Why limit yourself? Why not choose between any team? Why not choose a team in your local market?

HE'S A DIRTY TRIPLE-L, THAT'S WHY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom