• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2016 | Only thing worse than a Trump win is another Giants win

Status
Not open for further replies.
FJA5PrC.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Don't be dumb, there are other shutdown pitchers in that bullpen besides Britton. You waste him now you risk not having your best pitcher when you need him the most.
Situation A:. Give up a run and the season is over.
Situation B:. Give up a run or more and you can still win.

Which is more important?

Did they fake the Osuna injury? Obviously to give Liriano a proper warm up. But Osuna didn't look hurt at all.

Obviously I'm just talking out of my ass.

That's fucking stupid. The HEART of the Blue Jays line-up was up there. You needed those outs. Your best pitcher goes. No excuses.
Historically, O'Day is just a good a pitcher as Britton and is far more versatile. Britton has such stellar numbers this year because he was used correctly and is backed by the rest of a great bullpen. Plus, he's routinely good against everyone on the Blue Jays except Batista.
Situation A:. Give up a run and the season is over.
Situation B:. Give up a run or more and you can still win.

Which is more important?
You say this like O'Day couldn't have gotten the out just as easily as Britton. I have just as much faith in O'Day in that situation as I do Britton as long as Bautista isn't the one at the plate.

If (Most likely when) the Orioles lose this game, it will be because they're doing what they've done all year by forgetting how to hit for long stretches of time. Not because of bad bullpen management. Britton pitching two great innings then sitting on the bench for someone else to come in and give up the run isn't going to change that.

Historically, O'Day is just a good a pitcher as Britton and is far more versatile. Britton has such stellar numbers this year because he was used correctly and is backed by the rest of a great bullpen. Plus, he's routinely good against everyone on the Blue Jays except Batista.

But we're not using history, we're using this year, this year O'Day has been hurt and not nearly what he was.

Your best pitcher goes here. You can't plan based on what may or may not occur and need a guy later in a one game playoff. All hands on deck, best pitcher goes.

But we're not using history, we're using this year, this year O'Day has been hurt and not nearly what he was.

Your best pitcher goes here. You can't plan based on what may or may not occur and need a guy later in a one game playoff. All hands on deck, best pitcher goes.
Well, I think Buck just pretty solidly proved you wrong. Like I said, it doesn't matter who you put in there right now. The Orioles are forgetting how to hit again, and unless they wake up Britton won't be lasting long enough for his good performance to matter.

Well, I think Buck just pretty solidly proved you wrong. Like I said, it doesn't matter who you put in there right now. The Orioles are forgetting how to hit again, and unless they wake up Britton won't be lasting long enough for his good performance to matter.

It was pure luck that his decision worked out. You can't base the call on the result or some hypothetical "but if we get the lead".

Best. Players. Go.

StoveOven

Banned
I've now decided to root for Cleveland this postseason with the hope that it causes the way Francona uses Miller to catch on throughout the league

It was pure luck that his decision worked out. You can't base the call on the result or some hypothetical "but if we get the lead".

Best. Players. Go.
You can't base the call on pure luck either. That's just as baseless as me saying it was a smart move.

And managers manager their bullpen on "If we get the lead" all of the time. That's exactly the reason closers exist in the first place.

I've now decided to root for Cleveland this postseason with the hope that it causes the way Francona uses Miller to catch on throughout the league

It's fucking brilliant. Use your best pitcher when you need him. It's almost like that's how it always used to be.

You can't base the call on pure luck either. That's just as baseless as me saying it was a smart move.

And managers manager their bullpen on "If we get the lead" all of the time. That's exactly the reason closers exist in the first place.

It was a deliriously stupid move that managed to not backfire.

And, funnily enough, there are a shitload of awful managers that lose games routinely because of these asinine decisions.

It was a deliriously stupid move that managed to not backfire.

And, funnily enough, there are a shitload of awful managers that lose games routinely because of these asinine decisions.
And this is a completely baseless claim. O'Day could have stellar numbers against all of these batters for all you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom