• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2016 | Only thing worse than a Trump win is another Giants win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velcro Fly

Pitching is dominating right now. Keep that going and I am feeling really good about this team. A+ effort from the bullpen tonight too.

FYI, Giants were down 0-2 in 2012 and then had to go on the road and play three straight in Cincinnati because Selig absolutely wanted the second Wild Card to start in 2012 and won out. Then they were down 3-1 in the NLCS and came back and won it on the backs of superstars Barry Zito and Marco Scutaro.

Even-year magic doesn't stop until it's dead.

It's now do-or-die for the Giants, the Rangers & the Red Sox for their games tomorrow & on Monday against their competitors, as neither of those teams can afford to lose anymore games.

Jas

Tomorrow could be David Ortiz's last game...

It's time for the Red Sox to...

5LEyUsW.gif

Tomorrow could be David Ortiz's last game...

Good. This farewell tour for a borderline HOF candidate has been ridiculous and foolish.

Jim Thome has better career numbers and that guy left the game to barely a sound.

Ortiz hot dogs and hand slaps his way to the box, taking 40 seconds between pitches and does some commercials and all of a sudden the guy is getting farewell gifts everywhere he goes?

It's been embarrassing for the game, will be glad when it's over.

I don't mind the retirement tour stuff. It's totally harmless and at worst adds a bit of texture to the game. Especially if teams handle it they way the Orioles did.

It's now do-or-die for the Giants, the Rangers & the Red Sox for their games tomorrow & on Monday against their competitors, as neither of those teams can afford to lose anymore games.

Good points, Crispy. Those teams need big games out of their pitchers, batters, fielders and 3B coaches too. Because if their opponents score more runs than they do, they'll lose and go down 0-3 in a best of 5 series.

According to BBREF, Ortiz is most similar to Frank Thomas, Fred McGriff, Manny, Thome and Raffy Palmeiro among retired players.

Didn't see such a fuss when those other guys retired. Thomas deserved a "farewell tour" according to this new level of above average player quality that gets them criteria.

But because Ortiz played in Boston all of a sudden the guy's a first ballot HOFer? GTF outta here.

According to BBREF, Ortiz is most similar to Frank Thomas, Fred McGriff, Manny, Thome and Raffy Palmeiro among retired players.

Didn't see such a fuss when those other guys retired. Thomas deserved a "farewell tour" according to this new level of above average player quality that gets them criteria.

But because Ortiz played in Boston all of a sudden the guy's a first ballot HOFer? GTF outta here.

i think it's more of just a stupid recent trend than the boston thing. i think it started with chipper jones. now any time a HOF caliber player retires, we have to have a year long circle jerk over him. i can't stand it.

Tony Massarotti ✔ @TonyMassarotti
Jon Lester can allow 34 ER in his next start - without recording an out - and still have a better career postseason ERA than David Price.
10:52 AM - 8 Oct 2016

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i think it's more of just a stupid recent trend than the boston thing. i think it started with chipper jones. now any time a HOF caliber player retires, we have to have a year long circle jerk over him. i can't stand it.
I can't wait until we have the Mike Trout retirment tour sponsored by Nike.

This honestly feels like a Rangers W today. Lewis has been, apparently, good against the Jays rhbs, while Sanchez has been fairly soft against the Rangers this year.

And Adrian Beltre is a far better player than Jones was. But Beltre isn't getting a tour.

The whole dumb farewell tour thing is atrocious.

Bah, letting this go now. Dumb thing to get riled up about but ffs just go out and play the game, retire, then show up as an analyst or play by play guy somewhere.

Farewell tours should really last two seasons for legends like Ortiz.

"Legend"

And Adrian Beltre is a far better player than Jones was. But Beltre isn't getting a tour.

The whole dumb farewell tour thing is atrocious.

Bah, letting this go now. Dumb thing to get riled up about but ffs just go out and play the game, retire, then show up as an analyst or play by play guy somewhere.

I mean it's not like dudes are actively asking for these farewell tours.

Ortiz is on record saying that he wished he would waited to announce his retirement until after the season so he wouldn't have to deal with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom