• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2016 | Only thing worse than a Trump win is another Giants win

Status
Not open for further replies.
AL triggered beyond belief watching a game where pitchers have driven in 3 runs.

It's beautiful.

giphy.gif

I can't believe MLB doesn't have an English TV broadcast in Canada for tonight's game.

Oh well, les enfants are enjoying Zootopia on the big screen.

Velcro Fly

It isn't the intended use of replay though. It isn't like the throw beat him and he got called safe so they could overturn it. He slid, got hit, and came off the base. The guy at second didn't even hold the tag on him either.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
@jeffpasan said:
I might be the only person who doesn't hate the replay rule. If you are not touching the bag and get tagged, you are out. This isn't hard.
@jeffpasan said:
Just because we didn't have technology to see close plays before doesn't mean we should revolt against what is a rulebook-correct call.
@jeffpasan said:
Rather than bitching about replay, why don't we expect players to do a better job at sliding so they maintain contact with the base?
amen.
It isn't the intended use of replay though. It isn't like the throw beat him and he got called safe so they could overturn it. He slid, got hit, and came off the base. The guy at second didn't even hold the tag on him either.
uhh the intended use of replay is to get the call right. he came off the bag, the tag was on him. he was out.

baseball players are skilled enough to slide without coming off the bag.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Used replay to get call right. Thats all I care about replay. Dont give a crap for what its intended use is. This is playoff baseball, every out matters.

billeh

The home run replay earlier was kinda BS, this .. seems alright to me.

Hustle to second though, and slide with your feet.

ProjectPick

Neo Member
Wait? What's even the argument against that call? He was clearly out
Argument is Baez got to the base before the tag. Which generally is the goal in baseball. But thanks to slow mo replays we can see he was off the base for a fraction of a second.

Similar to nfl reviewing catches everything comes down to insane minutia. Instead of spirit of the rules and game.

StoveOven

Banned
Argument is Baez got to the base before the tag. Which generally is the goal in baseball. But thanks to slow mo replays we can see he was off the base for a fraction of a second.

Similar to nfl reviewing catches everything comes down to insane minutia. Instead of spirit of the rules and game.

Sure, but it was also a bad slide. Sliding is a part of the game, and we shouldn't undermine that by saying "Well, at least he beat the throw".

ProjectPick

Neo Member
Sure, but it was also a bad slide. Sliding is a part of the game, and we shouldn't undermine that by saying "Well, at least he beat the throw".

It was a bit of a late slide but he was over the bag the entire time. He lost contact for a tiny amount of time. He didn't overslide or try a trick wide slide.

By rule he's out. But watching that all full speed I think 99% of any watching will call him safe. Since we can't see that small second he lost contact.

I just hate that MLB will go to that detail but we still have highly subjective strike zones.

StoveOven

Banned
It was a bit of a late slide but he was over the bag the entire time. He lost contact for a tiny amount of time. He didn't overslide or try a trick wide slide.

By rule he's out. But watching that all full speed I think 99% of any watching will call him safe. Since we can't see that small second he lost contact.

I just hate that MLB will go to that detail but we still have highly subjective strike zones.

Well, we can at least agree on that last point

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yeah ball and strikes are the main problem with the game. can't wait until robot umpires.

NEYxikY.jpg

and then the inevitable uprising that will occur. RIP Human Civilization, but i think its a good tradeoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom