• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

Thank you Storen.

Get back on your game next appearance Clippard.

That was his game. Opponents are finally figuring it out. The guy refuses to throw a ball in the strike zone once he has two strikes. This has been going on for years.

If nobody ever swung at his pitches, opponents would have .800 OBP against him.

dmag1223

Holy shit. All you have to do is flip breaking balls up to Alvarez and he will whiff, and Parra still can't do it. So Frustrating.

bozeman

lol...St. Louis just did a 6th inning stretch instead of one in the 7th in honor of Stan Musial and asked everyone to help play Take Me Out To The Ballgame on the harmonicas they got at the gate.

McNei1y

That was his game. Opponents are finally figuring it out. The guy refuses to throw a ball in the strike zone once he has two strikes. This has been going on for years.

If nobody ever swung at his pitches, opponents would have .800 OBP against him.

And not throwing a strike in the zone with two strikes is a bad thing? His fastball above the zone has been one of the best pitches for the past four years. His changeup is also very good. I've always loved his placement on the lower half. I don't see much wrong with his pitch selection tonight. BJ Upton had a nice eye on that last change up. He had Heyward and Justin swinging at everything too. It's been working year after year up until the last months of 2013. I'm not jumping ship yet.

Brashnir

And not throwing a strike in the zone with two strikes is a bad thing? His fastball above the zone has been one of the best pitches for the past four years. His changeup is also very good. I've always loved his placement on the lower half. It's been working year after year up until the last months of 2013. I'm not jumping ship yet.

He ends up in 3-2 counts after 0-2 probably 100 times a year, and walks a ridiculous number of guys after getting way ahead in the count.. Yes, that's a bad thing. The guy needs to get guys out when he has the advantage instead of constantly nibbling.

edit - and it only barely worked most of last year. He got himself into probably a dozen jams that he was lucky to get out of.

McNei1y

He ends up in 3-2 counts and walking guys after 0-2 probably 100 times a year. Yes, that's a bad thing. The guy needs to get guys out when he has the advantage instead of constantly nibbling.

But it's what he do. Why change something that's worked? I would like to think McCatty and company would tell him to change his style if it wasn't working. I agree that he walks an absurd amount of batters a year but he still manages to get out of most of them unscathed. If he didn't have those two strike out pitches, I'd consider his pitching style awful.

Nice bunt. Shit.

Brashnir

But it's what he do. Why change something that's worked? I would like to think McCatty and company would tell him to change his style if it wasn't working. I agree that he walks an absurd amount of batters a year but he still manages to get out of most of them unscathed. If he didn't have those two strike out pitches, I'd consider his pitching style awful.

Nice bunt. Shit.

He puts up decent stats, but he's a playoff disaster waiting to happen.

McNei1y

He puts up decent stats, but he's a playoff disaster waiting to happen.

And let's wait for that to happen. I'm all for ridding of problem pitchers though. If he doesn't have it this year, then replace him with Garcia. But after everything he's done here so far, I'm at least comfortable putting him out there.

Nice strikeout Storen.

6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 8 K, 0 R on 99 pitches

Very nice showing by Shelby. Now to hope our bullpen can hold a 1-0 lead for 3 innings.

Oh, they're keeping him in?
Can't see him going out for the 8th unless Matheny wants to take a page out of the Dusty Baker playbook.

7.0 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 8 K, 0 R on 112 pitches

Now, some insurance runs would be nice. Lohse has been really efficient so far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom