• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

charsace

As far as the Mr. Wonderful talk goes, I really don't think being compared to Bader is that unflattering. Bader is massively underrated after getting clipped by Tito. He's not a walk in the park for Rampage.

There is no "next Jon Jones" on the horizon right now. Were arguing over who's next to get their ass whipped if you ask me. I think Phil is going to be next in line.
Don't worry about Jones The Dragon will take him out.

dream

If you've ever seen Tito interact with his fans, you'd agree that he really is the people's champ. Nobody is more fan-friendly than Tito Ortiz.

yacobod

Banned
he's not running away, he's being elusive. just because you don't understand his clever game of feints, elusiveness, and precision doesn't mean he's being boring.

machida fans are the worst.

Heel

Luke Rockhold Slated to Defend Strikeforce Middleweight Title Against Keith Jardine

iYAP5cPXCwya3.gif

Heel

I guess you could argue Rockhold needs someone like Keith Jardine to put him over for the dreams of the world, but yikes, this is worse than a Bellator superfight...and it's for the title.

Keith Jardine hasn't even fought at middleweight. How is he getting a title shot? At least make him "earn it" like Florian. He's 3-6-1 in his last 10.

I'm gonna laugh if Rockhold pulls an M'Pumbu. That'll be the last nail in the Strikeforce coffin.

yacobod

Banned
I guess you could argue Rockhold needs someone like Keith Jardine to put him over for the dreams of the world, but yikes, this is worse than a Bellator superfight...and it's for the title.

Keith Jardine hasn't even fought at middleweight. How is he getting a title shot? At least make him "earn it" like Florian. He's 3-6-1 in his last 10.

I'm gonna laugh if Rockhold pulls an M'Pumbu. That'll be the last nail in the Strikeforce coffin.

Can we at least stop pretending that the UFC is going to keep the Strikeforce banner around? Uncle Dana does not buy company's to keep them around.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm guessing Tim Kennedy is UFC bound then. Strikeforce's middleweight roster is basically Bellator quality. Nobody really deserves a title shot.

ShaneB

Nobody really deserves a title shot.

Comments like this make me really hate the idea of a division being nothing more than 2 relevant fighters. The champion, and the contender. Everyone else is apparently a can trying to get back to being a contender. I remember BJ Penn made a comment a while ago about getting rid of the belts and I can't help but agree with him more and more.

What is the idea of having depth in a division if it's just a revolving door to get a title shot?

I'd love to see a p4p list based on fighters who are actually exciting to watch. Someone like Clay Guida might be a gatekeeper in his division, but I love to watch the guy fight just because I know it'll usually be a good fight.

dem

Mayhem sounds way too confident to me.. acting like he's arrived and shit.
Hasnt been in a real fight in 2 years

Let me be the first to come up with a bullshit excuse.
UFC JITTERS

yacobod

Banned
i agree, mayhem is getting worked on saturday, but i've been saying that since the season was announced. bisping is a competent 185'er. mayhem has spent the past decade fighting in japan and in the bush leagues.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Comments like this make me really hate the idea of a division being nothing more than 2 relevant fighters. The champion, and the contender. Everyone else is apparently a can trying to get back to being a contender. I remember BJ Penn made a comment a while ago about getting rid of the belts and I can't help but agree with him more and more.

What is the idea of having depth in a division if it's just a revolving door to get a title shot?

I'd love to see a p4p list based on fighters who are actually exciting to watch. Someone like Clay Guida might be a gatekeeper in his division, but I love to watch the guy fight just because I know it'll usually be a good fight.
Not even gonna touch that remark about Guida being exciting.

All I'm saying is there's only about 5 guys in the SF 185lb division that have winning records in the organization and two of those guys lost their last fight. It's a bad division.

really? i'm a huge fan,
of breaking bad silly,
and missed it. what episode?

Its episode 3 (I think) of the 3rd season. It's when
Walter's brother finds out he's being sent back to El Paso and he kinda freaks out and gets in a bar fight. He thinks Jardine is passing meth to another guy in the bar they're at. He goes to arrest him at first but goes in the bathroom and has a panic attack and decides not to. He walks out to his car and changes his mind .. puts his gun in the car and walks back into the bar and beats the shit out of Jardine.

dream

I haven't watched a single episode of TUF because, well, you've seen how sad I get when I watch Facebook prelims. Are there any angles I should know about (with Bisping and Mayhem) going into the fight?

Heel

FRIDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Tachi Palace Fights 11: Redemption

Starts at 5:30 PM PT / 8:30 PM ET, free on Sherdog.com

Xtreme Fighting Championships 15: Tribute

Starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on HDNet

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale

Prelims start at 2:45 PM PT / 5:45 PM ET, free on Facebook.com
Main card starts at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on Spike TV (Note: 3 hour tape delay on Spike's west coast channel. Replay at midnight PT/ET.)

Score Fighting Series 3: Meltdown in the Valley

Starts at 4:45 PM PT / 7:45 PM ET, free on TheScore.com

Boxing - Miguel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito II

Prelims start at 2:00 PM PT / 5:00 PM ET, free on TopRank.com
Main card starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on HBO pay-per-view

Boxing - Abner Mares vs. Joseph Agbeko II

Starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on Showtime (Note: 3 hour tape delay on Showtime's west coast channel. Replay at 11:30 PM PT/ET.)

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Dan Lauzon vs. Anthony Kaponis (Saturday, Premier Fighting Championship 7)
Denis Kang vs. Shungo Oyama (Saturday, Road FC 5: Night of Champions)
Vuyisile Colossa vs. Yui Chul Nam (Saturday, Road FC 5: Night of Champions)

DKehoe

I haven't watched a single episode of TUF because, well, you've seen how sad I get when I watch Facebook prelims. Are there any angles I should know about (with Bisping and Mayhem) going into the fight?

They don't like each other very much.
Dennis Bermudez is pretty much scared of Diego Brandao. He should be.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

This was the best season ever. Focused on the fighter training and far less on stupid house drama and it had the best fights in the series history. Worth a watch really.

dream

You guys better not be lying to me because I do have the entire series DVRed and I am just dumb enough to marathon the shit if it really is that good.

parasight

Don't think I've ever been genuinely excited for a TUF finale like I am this one. It's nice having a fresh set of guys from a new weight division. They aren't just a bunch of rejects, for the most part.

The fights have been pretty good. I can't comment on anything else as I haven't paid attention until I hear the music for the fight starting.

I missed this past week's episode though so I need to catch up on Saturday.

TheNatural

My Member!
So the last Spike card is tomorrow I'm guessing? Got a UFC e-mail alert to watch tomorrow with no mention of SpikeTV.

3uKd4.jpg

Check your local listings! You even go to the link on it at UFC's site and it just has a generic "TV provider" logo. It's always hilarious to me how companies and networks spend so much time pimping one another and when the deal is up and they move along, the lame duck events left they act like neither even exist.

I just got that email too, but didn't notice the lack of Spike until your post.

It's cool of the UFC to let high school students design their posters.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I gotta feeling Hendo's next fight is 185 not 205...
just got a feeling Dana's gonna want to take that 139 fight of the decade momentum and shift it to 185 since the 205 division has alot of great fights without the help.
So my prediction is Silva vs Hendo II is next hendo fight

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Its episode 3 (I think) of the 3rd season. It's when
Walter's brother finds out he's being sent back to El Paso and he kinda freaks out and gets in a bar fight. He thinks Jardine is passing meth to another guy in the bar they're at. He goes to arrest him at first but goes in the bathroom and has a panic attack and decides not to. He walks out to his car and changes his mind .. puts his gun in the car and walks back into the bar and beats the shit out of Jardine.

lol, now that you mention it, i remember thinking it looked like him!

Top Bottom