• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Vintage Gamer: Finally! Xbox One Emulation is here

RedC

Earlier this year the first known public exploit for the Xbox One was released. Known as 'Collateral Damage' this exploit allowed for, the very first time, games to be decrypted and dumped. This has led to development of an emulation or a translation layer to be developed that can run Xbox One games on a Windows 10 or 11 PC. In today's episode we take a look at XWine1 the first Xbox One translation layer in development for Windows, however this is not the only one in development. We discuss what's been happening in the Xbox One hacking scene, dumping games, translation layers and much more!

wvnative

Will this allow playing of XBOX games or 360 ones?

The emulators for these systems are far from perfect atm.
BC is the only reason I haven't sold my Series X. If we can enable 360 and OG xbox games on windows with this then I can finally get rid of it.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Yeah you would think that the premiere franchise from Microsoft would include all the games that have Master Chief in their Master Chief Collection, but we're clearly not as bright as the MBA product manager who thought not to include it.

Master Chief Collection was released on November 11th, 2014. Halo 5 was released on October 27th, 2015. Nobody who actually played Halo would expect Master Chief Collection to include Halo 5.

Master Chief Collection was released on November 11th, 2014. Halo 5 was released on October 27th, 2015. Nobody who actually played Halo would expect Master Chief Collection to include Halo 5.

MCC received support up until earlier this year, IIRC. They added Reach post-launch. It could've been done, MSFT just didn't want to do it.

The Xbox one version of Forza Horizon 2 is the only thing that comes to mind for me personally.
Halo 5, Crimson Dragon, Rare Replay, Screamride (360 version does exist), a bunch of Kinect games, and I guess the multiplayer in Sunset Overdrive if they can get that working somehow.

Reactions: GHG

IFireflyl

Gold Member
MCC received support up until earlier this year, IIRC. They added Reach post-launch. It could've been done, MSFT just didn't want to do it.

Yes, Microsoft/343 Industries COULD have included Halo 5 in the Master Chief Collection. However, the Master Chief Collection's entire purpose was to bring the older 360 titles to a next-gen console (at the time, Xbox One). Halo 5 was already a next-gen title. Adding it to Master Chief Collection would have been a massive work effort that would serve no functional purpose. It would just be a waste of money to do so. By your logic, Halo Infinite should be included in the Master Chief Collection.

intbal

The Xbox one version of Forza Horizon 2 is the only thing that comes to mind for me personally.
MVG mentions in the video "the X enhanced version of Forza Horizon 2".
I don't think that's correct. I don't think FH2 ever got X Enhancements. It still plays at its base Xbox One resolution and graphical settings.

Yes, Microsoft/343 Industries COULD have included Halo 5 in the Master Chief Collection. However, the Master Chief Collection's entire purpose was to bring the older 360 titles to a next-gen console (at the time, Xbox One). Halo 5 was already a next-gen title. Adding it to Master Chief Collection would have been a massive work effort that would serve no functional purpose. It would just be a waste of money to do so. By your logic, Halo Infinite should be included in the Master Chief Collection.

I totally get why MSFT didn't do it, I'm not debating that. Where I disagree is that the purpose of MCC changed over time from simply porting the games to Xbox One to serving as a central place for all the core Halo titles. They also re-architected it and ported it to PC after it's disastrous launch, so they clearly placed some non-monetary value on having the key titles associated with the Xbox brand in a single collection.

And yeah, they should've added Infinite as a launching option to MCC, that's a great idea.

RedC

MVG mentions in the video "the X enhanced version of Forza Horizon 2".
I don't think that's correct. I don't think FH2 ever got X Enhancements. It still plays at its base Xbox One resolution and graphical settings.
The Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 did infact receive Xbox One X Enhancements from the BC team and is 4k on Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and 1440p on Xbox Series S.

Last edited:

intbal

The Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 did infact receive Xbox One X Enhancements from the BC team and is 4k on Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and 1440p on Xbox Series S.
?
What?

The Xbox 360 version of FH2 isn't even backwards compatible.

RedC

?
What?

The Xbox 360 version of FH2 isn't even backwards compatible.
Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

I confused it with the first Forza Horizon.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

No it didn't. If there were to be any X enhancements for that game it would be for the Xbox one version.

SHA

Are there current cross gen that aren't on pc? Can't think of any besides some weird Japanese games that aren't on pc but cross gen titles.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Where I disagree is that the purpose of MCC changed over time from simply porting the games to Xbox One to serving as a central place for all the core Halo titles.

The purpose of the Master Chief Collection was never to serve as a central hub for all of the core Halo titles. You wanting that to be its purpose does not make it so. Again, the entire purpose for Master Chief Collection was to bring older Halo titles to a next-gen console in anticipation of Halo 5. Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach were both added after-the-fact, but they were still 360 titles. The reason they were added after-the-fact was because they were not Master Chief games, but they were still older titles that they wanted to port so people could enjoy all of the games on their newer consoles with updated graphics and/or frame rate. The main titles featuring Master Chief were done first, and then Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach were ported over to it as 343 Industries had time to work on them. It took a while, because the Master Chief Collection was buggy AF.

Last edited:

SHA

Right right right, since it has one of the worst up scaling techniques, why not make it crisp 720p?
792p*
*since it's used more often.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Good for preservation I suppose but there isn't a single game I'd go out of my way for to make me want to get this up and running on my PC.

...which is a rather sad state of affairs if you think about it.

..Thanks, Don.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah you would think that the premiere franchise from Microsoft would include all the games that have Master Chief in their Master Chief Collection, but we're clearly not as bright as the MBA product manager who thought not to include it.

Perhaps due to the pesky fact that MCC was released a whole year before Halo 5? Or that they already had their hands full bug fixing the MCC without the extra issue of adding the sole ‘next gen’ version of Halo at the time?

Think New York Jets GIF by Bleacher Report

Last edited:
Top Bottom