• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom goes off on store clerk who made racist comment to her kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasser

In the video, a woman enters a grocery store followed by what appear to be her teenage children—who are dressed in what she later describes as “African garments.” According to her accusations, the clerk asked her children if they were going “trick or treating”...in September, which was taken as a snide comment about their traditional clothing. Then she goes off.

The woman requests to speak to the manager of the store and for the clerk to apologize to her children. “You’re in a black neighborhood; you should have better diversified training than this,” she says. Later, she gets on the phone with the manager, saying her children have never given anyone trouble “and they better not get a moment’s trouble, and if they have a moment’s trouble, this is the mama coming up in here.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn64VGbn8m8

Corpsepyre

Banned
Haha, awesome! She really did go off on that store clerk, alright, and made it sound like she was in a Tarantino film while doing so.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
And she was right to be furious but I'm not sure how good the lesson to her kids is with the cursing and screaming.

She's even cursing at the guy on the phone.

Yell. Make a scene. Or curse out of earshot of the kids. But cursing in front of your kids is counterproductive.

FStop7

Banned
Don't be a racist asshole and don't fuck with someone's kids! It's not that hard of a concept to grasp!

Zakalwe

Banned
And she was right to be furious but I'm not sure how good the lesson to her kids is with the cursing and screaming.

Yell. Make a scene. Or curse out of earshot of the kids. But cursing in front of your kids is counterproductive.

She was absolutely justified in calling the employee out, but that wasn't a productive way to handle it.

Caelestis

She should have just talked to the manager. Making an agravated scene, yelling and cursing doesn't really make her look good either.

Stinkles

She should have just talked to the manager. Making an agravated scene, yelling and cursing doesn't really make her look good either.

I don't mind her embarrassing the employee, after all the employee allegedly embarrassed her kids, but don't go full ham I'm front of your kids. What kind of lesson are they going to take away from that? Escalation is the opposite of what you should be showing them.

Slayven

I don't mind her embarrassing the employee, after all the employee allegedly embarrassed her kids, but don't go full ham I'm front of your kids. What kind of lesson are they going to take away from that? Escalation is the opposite of what you should be showing them.

Don't start none, won't be none.

The mom had every right to complain. Don't agree with the way she went off on the clerk in front of her children though. But fuck it, the point was made.

No the world needs more mothers like her.

obamasoda.jpg

shira

I don't know what is right or wrong anymore.

I'd have to see the original comment if it was malicious

Stinkles

No the world needs more mothers like her.

I agree the world needs passionate protective and righteous unafraid mothers. I'm merely suggesting "you kids wait right here I'll be back in five minutes" would be an improvement to this exact same scenario.

Well shes right and has some good points but she did that thing where she repeats it so many times she starts to confuse herself.
"You will respect the money and make sure you get a check." Quit while youre ahead lady.

Saganator

Oh no! Bad words! Those poor kids have had their mind corrupted by those words!

Well shes right and has some good points but she did that thing where she repeats it so many times she starts to confuse herself.
"You will respect the money and make sure you get a check." Quit while youre ahead lady.

I think you have hearing problems because she clearly says, "You will respect the money that makes sure your ass got a check"

There's a racist ass teacher in my kid's school who say racist shit just like that to pre-K kids. Pre-K kids. I hope one day a great woman like that would go into that classroom and hold the teacher accountable.

USC-fan

Banned
So confused. Why are the kids wearing these clothes but the mom wearing normal clothes? Cleary the kids were wearing them for a certain reason. Seems like a little bit of an overreaction. Maybe im missing something here.

Was a funny video but so many questions lol

Honestly if the comment would of been toward an adult, I wouldn't agree with her reaction, I mean it's not like anything going to change for her or the clerk. but that shit was towards her kids she had to cut that down.

SystemBug

So confused. Why are the kids wearing these clothes but the mom wearing normal clothes? Cleary the kids were wearing them for a certain reason. Seems like a little bit of an overreaction. Maybe im missing something here.

The kids were obviously dressed up to go out I assume. The mom wasn't. After she heard what happened she probably bolted there.

I wear traditional clothes outside the house too. Doesn't mean my mom is wearing them at the same time.

Normal clothes?

Z_Y

I agree the world needs passionate protective and righteous unafraid mothers. I'm merely suggesting "you kids wait right here I'll be back in five minutes" would be an improvement to this exact same scenario.

But letting them witness this also shows her kids how to stand up for yourself. I think I'm ok with this. Lost it at "raggedy mother fucker". lol

Neifirst

There's a racist ass teacher in my kid's school who say racist shit just like that to pre-K kids. Pre-K kids. I hope one day a great woman like that would go into that classroom and hold the teacher accountable.

If I had knowledge of something like that happening, I would feel obligated to report my concerns to the school's administration. Have you not done so?

Stinkles

But letting them witness this also shows her kids how to stand up for yourself. I think I'm ok with this. Lost it at "raggedy ass". lol

That's a reasonable counterpoint but I take cursing in front of children seriously. It's a mania of sorts.

It's impossible to tell if the "trick or treating" question was meant offensively or not since it's not shown, but somehow I doubt it was meant as "I know what your clothing represents, and I'm going to demean you to your face".

Assuming the clerk didn't know what they were wearing, she was:
* Ignorant of their clothing's meaning -> yes
* Way off to be guessing trick or treating a month early -> yes
* In a position where she should be educated and give a sincere apology -> definitely

But I don't think flying off the handle and berating her was exactly the punishment that fit the crime. It's not like it's black people's jobs to educate white people about their culture, but if someone's (presumably) never seen such a thing, learning about it by being screamed at isn't exactly constructive.

If the clerk DID mean the comment offensively, then the verbal lashing was probably totally warranted... but she seemed pretty apologetic while being yelled at

Izuna

Banned
This isn't shocking to me because this happens in London quite often. African clothes would be called "costumes". I don't think it's racism, but it's definitely ignorant and there's no problem with it being labeled as so.

Normal clothes?

USC-fan

Banned
The kids were obviously dressed up to go out I assume. The mom wasn't. After she heard what happened she probably bolted there.

I wear traditional clothes outside the house too. Doesn't mean my mom is wearing them at the same time.
That's a good point. I honestly have never seen anyone wear anything like this outside of a festival. I do live in the deep south so maybe it a regional thing that's more common in other places.
Normal clothes?
shirt and pants. I dunno what you call it.

It's impossible to tell if the "trick or treating" question was meant offensively or not since it's not shown, but somehow I doubt it was meant as "I know what your clothing represents, and I'm going to demean you to your face".

Assuming the clerk didn't know what they were wearing, she was:
* Ignorant of their clothing's meaning -> yes
* Way off to be guessing trick or treating a month early -> yes
* In a position where she should be educated and give a sincere apology -> definitely

But I don't think flying off the handle and berating her was exactly the punishment that fit the crime. It's not like it's black people's jobs to educate white people about their culture, but if someone's (presumably) never seen such a thing, learning about it by being screamed at isn't exactly constructive.

If the clerk DID mean the comment offensively, then the verbal lashing was probably totally warranted... but she seemed pretty apologetic while being yelled at

The clerk clearly can be heard at 35 sec saying "I didn't mean it in a bad way"

Einhander

Good on her for standing up for her children, but she needed to tone down the rage, man. You can make your point crystal clear without biting one's head off.

That's a good point. I honestly have never seen anyone wear anything like this outside of a festival. I do live in the deep south so maybe it a regional thing that's more common in other places.
shirt and pants. I dunno what you call it.

The clerk clearly can be heard at 35 sec saying "I didn't mean it in a bad way"

Doesn't matter what she said. Asking kids if they are going trick or treating was obviously her making a shitty joke about their clothes. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult your clothing in a BAD way".

Do people when they are pissed off really talk like "Excuse me sir, your ignorance towards my children is dumbfounded. You live in a black dominant neighborhood, however your actions suggest you are an ignorant low life uneducated fool. Please apologize to my kids because I'm real angry right now but have the courtesy to politely speak with you. Also I would like to speak with your manager as this behaviour is totally unacceptable. You sir are an idiot and I want your manager to know that, so you can get fired".

Come on, people on this forum go wild when you talk about their favorite piece of plastic the wrong way. But the woman should show some courtesy when a racist fool talks shit to her children front of her children lol.

Emotions how do they work?

Tevious

I don't know. I could see this as an overreaction and misunderstanding. The clerk could have just been curious and made the trick or treating comment as a friendly joke to make conversation and didn't mean to offend them. Even for a black neighborhood, that's not common attire. Without seeing the original comment in question, I'm going to guess that the clerk was just ignorant. It's her job to be friendly to customers, so it's doubtful she made the comment in an intentionally demeaning way.

SDCowboy

Do people when they are pissed off really talk like "Excuse me sir, your ignorance towards my children is dumbfounded. You live in a black dominant neighborhood, however your actions suggest you are an ignorant low life uneducated fool. Please apologize to my kids because I'm real angry right now but have the courtesy to politely speak with you. Also I would like to speak with your manager as this behaviour is totally unacceptable. You sir are an idiot and I want your manager to know that, so you can get fired".

Uh, yeah, most adults, if they even got upset at this, would handle it in a calm and collected manner. The swearing and yelling right off the bat is not the proper way, IMO, to handle such a situation. If it bothered her that much, she should have calmly explained to the employee what the issue was, and gone from there. Treat it as a teaching experience.

If I had knowledge of something like that happening, I would feel obligated to report my concerns to the school's administration. Have you not done so?

Of course. This teacher has a laundry list of complaints from parents and staff, but the teacher is still there this year. The union prevents the school district from being able to do anything about it.

Einhander

Come on, people on this forum go wild when you talk about their favorite piece of plastic the wrong way. But the woman should show some courtesy when a racist fool talks shit to her children front of her children lol.

Emotions how do they work?

The way you framed that quote makes it sound equally as uncommon. No one speaks that way. Come on. Most people will slightly raise their voice, sure, but not like the mom in the video. Most have a firm voice while angry.

Uh, yeah, most adults would handle the situation in a manner similar to that. The swearing and yelling right off the bat is not the proper way, IMO, to handle such a situation. If it bothered her that much, she should have calmly explained to the employee what the issue was, and gone from there. Treat it as a teaching experience.

A mom defends her children but she is wrong because she didn't do it the way you want her to do it.

psaman17

Banned
Doesn't matter what she said. Asking kids if they are going trick or treating was obviously her making a shitty joke about their clothes. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult your clothing in a BAD way".

She made that joke because of how unusual or elaborate their set of clothing look. She probably doesnt know that its a traditional African garment.

She could be making the same joke if 2 white kids in a gleaming bright Tuxedo with bow tie walks in. You just dont expect to see people wearing things like that.

I mean its shitty joke, but is it necessarily a racist one? Is it only racist because a white lady says it?

THank heaven i'm a minority. I know i've joked about worse things than that.

SDCowboy

A mom defends her children but she is wrong because she didn't do it the way you want her to do it.

Yes, I do think he handled it wrong. Part of being an adult is acting like one. This situation, from what I could see in the video, in no way called for yelling and swearing right out of the gate. Freaking out on someone usually teaches them absolutely nothing.

I don't know if you can automatically attribute this one to racism. I get that there's so much racism out there that it's hard to not see it that way, and it may be true in this case too, but I just ask myself "is it plausible that this could have happened to a white person?" And I think that yes, the same thing could have happened if a Scottish woman walked in with three sons wearing kilts and all that other crap that goes with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom