• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monday Night Combat |OT| Some action on a monday night

24 Jan 2011: Monday night combat was officially released on PC, included TF2 crossover hats for early buyers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/63200/

--------------------------------------

14 Dec 2010: Beta for PC version started.

01 Dec 2010: The SPUNKY COLA SPECIAL free DLC is out now, go!

(XBOX) TITLE UPDATE 1 IS LIVE! (13th Oct 2010) features a ton of balances and fixes!

33u5207.png

2urvwj8.png

35n6k9w.png

2v0h6yc.png

Monday Night Combat is coming to XBLArcade on the 11th of August as part of the Summer of Arcade 2010 lineup.

Reviews and Scores
Joystiq
IGN (have a lulz with this one)

Game Modes

BLITZ (up to 4 players online and offline) (can be played 2 player split screen online and offline)

Blitz mode allow players to defend their Money Ball against armies of robots by themselves, two player splitscreen, or four player co-op over Xbox Live. During various Blitz challenges, players can spend money earned by destroying bots to build defensive turrets around the Moneyball, upgrade one of six unique character classes, or set off robot crushing environment hazards.
The Challenges vary from a ten round Exhibition Blitz to endless robot waves of ever increasing difficulty in Sudden Death Blitz. Money earned from each Challenge goes into a persistent Lifetime Earnings that allows players to unlock over 350 ProTags, create custom classes, and get ranked on Leaderboards.

Monday Night Combat’s Blitz mode can be played solo and will auto tune the robot waves to a single player. It can also be played with one friend on the same Xbox with a split screen or up to four players over Xbox LIVE.

CROSSFIRE (up to 12 players online only) (can be played 2 player split screen online)

Crossfire pits teams of players against each other over XBox LIVE. Each team is supported by an endless stream of robots fighting on their behalf; overwhelming your opponent’s stream will be the key to your success!
This will be your main meat & veg with the online gameplay of Monday Night Combat, 6 v 6 sounds lite but don't forget the hordes of enemy robots trying to take down your moneyball!

Six ways to fight, sixty ways to die

Monday Night Combat has multiple classes you can play as on your way to fame and fortune, along with their own personal perks and moves you can also apply sponsors of your choosing via the custom class options, allowing you to mix up every character to fit your own personal play style.

Classes:

Assault
Primary - Assault Rifle
Secondary - Grenade Launcher

"The Assault is the closest thing Monday Night Combat has to a “big play man”. He is the center of attention always, and the unofficial leader of the pack. He is most often seen driving the attack while dazzling the crowd with his acrobatic plays and daring-do."

Notable DNA:
Riddick Bowe, Princess Diana, David Beckham, Benny Hill

Gallery openings, Egyptian silk, VIP rooms, slapping bald men on the head

Dislikes:
art, near white caviar served in anything other than a 24-karat gold ramkin

Tank
Primary - Jet Engine Gun
Secondary - Laser Railgun

"The Tank is a modern day grunt, a blue-collar warrior who is fearless in battle and who relishes his role as the point of attack. On the field of combat he is gruff, crude and doesn’t care who knows it. Off the field however he is as vulnerable and sensitive as they come. He has a great deal of insecurity regarding his size, looks and lack of social graces especially with the opposite sex."

Notable DNA:
Ray Lewis, Jesse Ventura, Kimbo Slice

bar brawls, women with tattoos, compliments

Dislikes:
pretty boys, acid reflux, being alone on romantic holidays

Sniper - Watch the video
Primary - Sniper Rifle
Secondary - SMG

"The Sniper is by far the most enthusiastic combatant on the team. He stays up late at night drawing plays. He watches hour after hour of video, practices relentlessly and does nothing that might jeopardize his performance on game day. During game time he often acts like the coach or quarterback, calling out plays that only he’s familiar with (his teammates ignore the playbooks he gives them) and getting extremely frustrated with the rest of his squad."

Notable DNA:
Hardcore gamer champions from MLG, WCG and WSVG.

Playing Monday Night Combat, practicing for Monday Night Combat, talking about Monday Night Combat, drawing up plays for Monday Night Combat

Dislikes:
Almost everything else.

Support
Primary - Healgun
Secondary - Shotgun

"No team can win consistently without a Support position, whose primary responsibility is to use his extensive knowledge of cyberbiology and medicine to keep his team sharp, alert and on the battlefield for longer periods of time than their opponents."

Notable DNA:
Leonardo DaVinci, Steve Jobs, Sushruta Samhita, Dr. Kinsey

Dislikes:
any type of instant or fast food, sewer rats, hotel paintings

Gunner
Primary - Minigun
Secondary - Mortars

"The Gunner is slow and thoughtful, and very rarely gives into any sort of panic or excitement. He is protective of his teammates; often the only way to get any sort of rise out of him is for an opponent to score an especially vicious kill."

Notable DNA:
Sumo wrestler Chiyonofuji Mitsugu, Otis, a prize winning yak, 1988 Washington Redskins offensive line, Lord Byron

coral reefs, ukulele jams, poetry of Lord Byron

Dislikes:
large cities, crowds, shopping for pants

Assassin - Watch the video
Primary - Dagger
Secondary - Shurikens

"Deadly, quiet, invisible. The Assassin has become one of the most popular combatants on MNC due to her acrobatic kills and cool cloaking ability."

Notable DNA:
Mary Lou Retton, Michelle Yeoh, Charlotte Corday

independent thinkers, substance over style, being feared, the roar of the crowd, the rush of the kill

Dislikes:
rampant consumerism, cowardice, arrogance, being “owned”

Get Juiced!

If you want to run fast, shoot straight and live longer you need good sponsors and thankfully Monday Night Combat has a ton of 'em! When you set up a custom class you get the choice of 3 sponsors, one for bronze level, one for silver and one more for gold, with the later being the strongest effect of the three.

- Click here for a listing of sponsors and their related class.

2e1vx41.png
2cmuno3.png

Stat tracking is a man's best friend

Keep failing to that sniper? always being owned by the Tank? well it's all being tagged in your stat report anyway!

Every game of Monday Night Combat earns the player money that goes towards their Lifetime Earnings. Lifetime Earnings can be spent on unlocking custom classes and buying earned ProTags. How much Lifetime Earnings you have also determines what level you are. Monday Night Combat keeps a large set of persistent statistics for all aspects of gameplay. MNC features over 370 ‘ProTags’ which are customizable tags you can show off to other players and friends.

260tkqt.png

Video & Media

Official Monday Night Combat Debut Trailer
Official Monday Night Combat E3 Blitz Gameplay
LaseRazor Commercialr
AmmoMule Commercial

GAF gamertags
NAME - GAMERTAG

Diablohead - Diablohead UK
Jube3 - Ayo Jube
InfectedZero - pC InfectedZero
JambiBum - Jambi Bum
Proven - KniveSmith

(Please PM me if I do not add you to the list, I may have missed your post)

Patches & Updates

Update August 23rd, 2010 (live update system)
-Time between Crossfire matches changed from 60 to 45 seconds
-minimum number of players needed to start Crossfire changed from 8 to 6
-custom bot spawner timer changed from 5 to 10 seconds.
-changed message of the day.

TU1 Oct 13th, 2010 (patch via XBL)
The long awaited first title update 1 is finally out, features a ton of fixes and rebalances to everything possible.
Huge update list, click here.

Do you think there's a lot of hype for this? Is it just me but it doesn't feel like a lot of people are excited for this.

It looks fun though. I hope it's a addictive multiplayer game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The sniper in this game looks like a futuristic version of the TF2 sniper....

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Do you think there's a lot of hype for this? Is it just me but it doesn't feel like a lot of people are excited for this.

It looks fun though. I hope it's a addictive multiplayer game.
The game got mobbed at Pax East this year.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The game got mobbed at Pax East this year.

As an outsider, it looks like UT with a TF2 inspired art style. That's a dangerously awesome combo.

One thing I'm concerned about is the lack of variety in the backgrounds. I know it takes place in a arena kind of like American Gladiators, but I hope that doesn't get tiresome after awhile.

Team Fortress 2 is so good because of the varied areas.

I usually prefer multiplayer games to have varied backgrounds because it keeps the game interesting and fun.

But hope the gameplay is real fun in MNC that it becomes a non-issue for me.

FinFan

I played it at PAX east and it was really fun. There's a lot of depth and strategy to the game that compliments the shooting aspects very well. For $15 it's going to be a steal.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I really think this is going to be this year's breakout hit like Trials HD was last year. Lots of people balking at it before its out and saying they're not interested, then it releases and everyone on your friends list is playing it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Shig said:
I really think this is going to be this year's breakout hit like Trials HD was last year. Lots of people balking at it before its out and saying they're not interested, then it releases and everyone on your friends list is playing it.
Yeah, I can see the Toy Soldiers and BF1943 fans really warming up to this title. They polished it to a shine, which makes it easy to recommend.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Looking at the gameplay trailers and the descriptions, is this a mix of TF2 and Dota?
That's... that's pretty damned interesting actually! I'm looking forward to impressions in the next week or so.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
game looks really fun and i'm not even into online fps. good impressions and reviews and i'll pick up

TxdoHawk

I gotta say, the more I hear about this the more impressed I am. Back when there was nothing but a trailer, I waved this off as trying to ride the TF2 cash cow with a little The Grid thrown in, but now it's obvious there's a lot of love put into this game. I will definitely be checking this one out.

fernoca

So getting this. :D
Was a day one purchase when it was announced. Great thread too; though at the main post, it's supposed to say "Bought to you" or "Brought to you" ?

fernoca said:
So getting this. :D
Was a day one purchase when it was announced. Great thread too; though at the main post, it's supposed to say "Bought to you" or "Brought to you" ?
I'll blame it as a 1am photoshop :ssssh:

Daigoro

i really have no idea what this game will be like, but im interested. and everyone whos actually played it seems to have good things to say about it. i agree about the backrounds though, could get repetitive quick.

looking forward to the demo.

Jackson

Bunch of these guys are my friends.

I've played it. It's fun! At E3 we had a 6v6 and I was exhausted and wanted to go to bed (it was like 1am) and I still stuck around to play a few more matches. So that's a good sign. They've put a lot of work on it and it shows! Uber Ent. is a bunch of ex-Gas Powered guys.

I mean its in Summer of Arcade, so it's gotta be pretty good right? Definitely give it a shot!

Aaron

Looks super fun. I'll see how I dig the controls. Having recently switched back to PC FPSes, it's hard for me to manage console shooters.

Rad-

Been waiting for this a while now. I just hope the classes are balanced. But otherwise the game looks pretty darn polished for a "small" title.

That seemed kinda... off. Like the aiming and hit response were weird. Also there didn't seem to be much of a push to get that final victory. Just chasing some guy and "oh hey look the robots are about to win this for us."

Yeah, gonna have to get a points card for this. I always love the "future cybersport" setting when done right, and with all the fake sponsors and stuff this looks to be right up my alley.

Moobabe

As a PS3 only owner I'm gutted we won't be getting this. So I IMPLORE you, 360 owners, to pick this up. It looks awesome.

For myself I'd actually say that $15 downloadable multiplayer titles with a little less content are actually the best way to do multiplayer. I'm not the type of guy who loves to sink like 50+ hours into a game (too many other game to enjoy), and multiplayer games are by far the best in the first 3 months or so when everyone is still figuring out the game and learning tactics together.

So things like Monday Night Combat work great for me, since it's only $15 I can pick it up day one. I'll enjoy those first few fun months of learning the game and then by the time I've gotten my 20 or so hours worth of fun and I'm starting to get tired of the maps I can just kick it to the curb since it wasn't a big $60 investment. Work great for me, I'd love to see more like this.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
TheFightingFish said:
For myself I'd actually say that $15 downloadable multiplayer titles with a little less content are actually the best way to do multiplayer. I'm not the type of guy who loves to sink like 50+ hours into a game (too many other game to enjoy), and multiplayer games are by far the best in the first 3 months or so when everyone is still figuring out the game and learning tactics together.

So things like Monday Night Combat work great for me, since it's only $15 I can pick it up day one. I'll enjoy those first few fun months of learning the game and then by the time I've gotten my 20 or so hours worth of fun and I'm starting to get tired of the maps I can just kick it to the curb since it wasn't a big $60 investment. Work great for me, I'd love to see more like this.
Agree.

Daigoro

TheFightingFish said:

yup yup yup.

Top Bottom