• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monday Night Combat |OT| Some action on a monday night

Rad-

mujun said:
This game's unique take on an FPS might help the game keep it's online community active longer.

I agree. TF2 still has a decent sized community on Live, believe it or not. :lol And this being similar to the style I could see this living for a while as well.

That was a much more impressive video. Auto-aiming turrets and huge spray shotguns look so much nicer than weird precision/duration weapons like the heavy guy has.

Son of Godzilla said:
That was a much more impressive video. Auto-aiming turrets and huge spray shotguns look so much nicer than weird precision/duration weapons like the heavy guy has.
yes much better footage, also a bigger more maze like map compared to grenade III arena which seems to be the best size for 3 v 3.

This is one of my most anticipated games of the year. Me and my best friend are buying it day one. And Uber Entertainment doing these videos is the PERFECT way to show their game.

Odrion

Banned
People calling comparing this game to "Unreal Tornament" or "Team Fortress" are getting it all wrong. It's a third-person take on Defense of the Ancients: Minions, turrets, land control, shopping, bonus buffs that you risk your well being to get, everything taking place on a few symmetrical maps, etc.

Not a bad idea, hell, it's a fucking good idea. I'm excited.

mujun

Odrion said:
People calling comparing this game to "Unreal Tornament" or "Team Fortress" are getting it all wrong. It's a third-person take on Defense of the Ancients: Minions, turrets, land control, shopping, bonus buffs that you risk your well being to get, everything taking place on a few symmetrical maps, etc.

It is sort of like Toy Soldiers in that it offers direct control of characters in a strategy style game. I loved Toy Soldiers and hopefully I'll enjoy this game just as much.

A tweet:

We will be supporting the game post release based on feedback from the community.

They said this on their forums also a few days back, it's great to hear, they are a rather small team too so I hope this game sells well for them. Make sure you buy this and then say how wonderful it is!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Odrion said:

Or the Precinct Assault mode of Future Cop, which predates DotA.

Proven

Oh jeez. I only now find this thread.

One thing little nitpick I'd like to mention is that 2-player split screen is available for Blitz and Crossfire, so you can always have a way to show off the game.

TxdoHawk

see5harp said:
This actually looks really good. Glad I held out on Castlevania for this.

I think Castlevania is awesome, but it's not for everyone, not even all Castlevania fans.

I think MNC, on the other hand, will have much broader appeal with the shooter crowd.

Oh, and since no one mentioned...

http://kotaku.com/5607523/monday-night-combat-the-game-so-nice-they-certified-it-twice

Insiders noted that Monday Night Combat had yet to send out review codes, giving rise to bad-news theories about the game's release.

Titles under Xbox Live's Summer of Arcade typically had review copies a week before their release. And Monday Night Combat passed Microsoft certification and went gold four weeks ago, according to Uber executive producer Chandana Ekanayake. But, "although we were happy about finishing there were some performance issues and some other bugs that we felt weren't up to snuff at Uber," he says.

"So we asked MS to let us submit our game through Certification again with fixes which means the whole game gets tested all over again," Ekanayake said. "So, it passed again just this Friday." Hence the review delay.

All that said, the game is coming out on time still (hooray!). Nice to see that Uber was willing to go back and patch, rather than wait for the release. Hopefully this bodes well for the game's support.

Proven said:
Oh jeez. I only now find this thread.

One thing little nitpick I'd like to mention is that 2-player split screen is available for Blitz and Crossfire, so you can always have a way to show off the game.

On top of that, simultaneously going online and playing splitscreen is supported! More games really need to show the local play love like this.

TxdoHawk said:
On top of that, simultaneously going online and playing splitscreen is supported! More games really need to show the local play love like this.

Nice! I was already pretty sold on the game, but this moves it to instabuy barring some type of "worst game ever" reviews popping up between now and Wednesday. I love me some local multiplayer action.

Proven

I don't have the source right now (one of the many interviews they've done by this point) but they've said there'll be 4 Crossfire maps and 5 Blitz modes on the same map, including the usual endless type of mode.

Edit: Damn your fast edit.

Raide

After watching the Dev Walkthrough stuff, I am getting more and more interested in this game. Support class looks great fun and I am sure that will be my main character.

Archurro

2-player splitscreen online = day one purchase for me. It's looking to be the best downloadable game this year.

Proven said:
Which reminds me, I wonder what they're showing off in the trial...
I bet they will do something similar to Blacklight Tango Down and offer an hour of online play. That seems like the best way to show it off.

Jube3

Archurro said:
2-player splitscreen online = day one purchase for me. It's looking to be the best downloadable game this year.

Yar, I'm very excited to get my hands on this game. I've been looking forward to it for what feels like an eternity :D 3 more days! :D

I need to make time fly fast on tuesday there is no way I can sit here itching for the game all day, might go on a few hours walk or something outside :lol

WaltJay

Between the dev walkthru videos and reviews out there already, this game is looking very promising. I'm dying for a new MP-centric XBLA game, and I hope this fills the bill. I'm especially encouraged about the talk about post-release support, including "on-the-fly" updates.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/09/monday-night-combat-on-the-fly-updates-explained/

We mentioned in our Monday Night Combat review (you should read it!) that the game would feature the ability to make balance tweaks "on the fly without needing to do a patch."

"So what we did," said Comes, "is put a text file with all of our balance numbers up there [on TMS] and when the game starts up it overwrites the balance numbers with any numbers it pulled down off of TMS." As an example, Comes noted that if Uber were to discover that Snipers earn ability-enhancing Juice too fast, the company can easily adjust the corresponding number in TMS. The next time a player boots the game, the adjusted number overwrites the original. Voila, instant balance fix.

Edit: Major Nelson is giving out codes via twitter:

@MajorNelson Read this and you could win http://twitpic.com/2d73b1 Good luck. #mnc

Jube3

Diablohead said:
I need to make time fly fast on tuesday there is no way I can sit here itching for the game all day, might go on a few hours walk or something outside :lol

Go play Forza! I think I have you on my friends list I need a team to play with :D

JambiBum said:
Or today if you're special. Hopefully...

How so, through a twitter contest or something?

Edit: NM just read the above

Hostile Paradox

Neo Member
Aghh! I've been waiting since Pax East for this to come out. I never got to play it over there, even though I really wanted to. There was always a huge line.

Now I need to go and find whoever decided to release the game on a Wednesday, instead of Monday, and punch them in the head. :D

Archurro

WaltJay said:
Between the dev walkthru videos and reviews out there already, this game is looking very promising. I'm dying for a new MP-centric XBLA game, and I hope this fills the bill. I'm especially encouraged about the talk about post-release support, including "on-the-fly" updates.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/09/monday-night-combat-on-the-fly-updates-explained/

Edit: Major Nelson is giving out codes via twitter:

If I win a code, I want to hug you so much.

It'll be interesting to see how much tweaking they'll need though. Hopefully the game won't totally be imbalanced when it comes out.

Oli

Cool, it would be pretty convenient to win this for free, haha. As if I will.

But yeah, this game looks pretty cool.

Uber's balance fix method sounds like something epic also added to gears 2 to make balance changes instant plus adjust xp rates, I think it's smart but no idea how much bandwidth it might take up on a busy game.

Jube3 said:
Go play Forza! I think I have you on my friends list I need a team to play with :D
Yeah been a while since we smashed cars into each other from launch day, if i'm online at the right time sure thing.

*edit* so far no review has said this game is 60fps which I am sure it is, you would think that would be a plus to many people.

Seeing the positive reviews, I'm starting to get really interested in this.

Monday Night Combat was my wild card out of all these Summer of Arcade games this year. I already knew Limbo would be good, Hydro Thunder would be fun, and I decided to get Castlevania HD and Lara Croft no matter what. But now I can safely add MNC to that list!

I guess it's free when I think about. Not a bad deal. :)

Archurro

Proven said:
IGN review out: http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1111207p1.html

Edit: Also, by @ reply, does he mean just a regular @MajorNelson message or do I have to leave a comment on that twitpic?

Is it just me, or is that review horribly written?

Quotes:
"The audio commentary repeats itself a little too often, but that is my only complaint."
"I don't know about you, but I don't really need another Team Deathmatch mode. This is a very lighthearted shooter compared to games like Gears of War or Battlefield: Bad Company and I think it will resonate with people for that very reason."
"Crossfire mode is for when you want to kill other people."

Lothars

I will be picking this up which is my third game of summer of arcade along with limbo and castlevania but I still plan to pick up tomb raider and hydro thunder.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Archurro said:
Is it just me, or is that review horribly written?

Quotes:
"The audio commentary repeats itself a little too often, but that is my only complaint."
"I don't know about you, but I don't really need another Team Deathmatch mode. This is a very lighthearted shooter compared to games like Gears of War or Battlefield: Bad Company and I think it will resonate with people for that very reason."
"Crossfire mode is for when you want to kill other people."
I... I don't even know if he even played the game. The whole thing reads like box copy. :/

The IGN review reads like someone was given a code this morning and he had to quickly keep up with the other websites getting their reviews out, oh and the constant use of full stops made it sounds rather poor not that I can write any better :lol

GeeDuhb

This has definitely been the one XBLA Summer Arcade game that I have had my eye on since it was announced. Limbo was great, but I hope this game is as fun as it looks. Can't wait to get my hands on it on Wednesday!

The IGN review is terrible. With the information the reviewer wrote in this review, he may as well of not played the game. He spends most of the time talking about the basic premise of the game (which I feel is something that should be addressed in the previews) rather give any of his personal opinion. Almost all of the review is something you could gather from reading press releases and watching the developer walkthroughs.

He reviews the game more as a product instead of reviewing it as an experience. I don't see the point in IGN improving their review scores if they're going to let their text reviews be so poor.

I'm really stoked for MNC. I need a new multiplayer after growing tired of Snoopy: Flying Ace and Bad Company 2.

snoopeasystreet said:
The IGN review is terrible. With the information the reviewer wrote in this review, he may as well of not played the game. He spends most of the time talking about the basic premise of the game (which I feel is something that should be addressed in the previews) rather give any of his personal opinion. Almost all of the review is something you could gather from reading press releases and watching the developer walkthroughs.

He reviews the game more as a product instead of reviewing it as an experience. I don't see the point in IGN improving their review scores if they're going to let their text reviews be so poor.

I'm really stoked for MNC. I need a new multiplayer after growing tired of Snoopy: Flying Ace and Bad Company 2.
I doubt he even heard about the game before someone said to him "go review this game before tuesday".

Top Bottom