• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey Island gold master turned 25 years old last week

nickcv

http://grumpygamer.com/monkey25

Ron Gilbert celebrated the event on the 4th of september, posting some insights on how testing and bugfixing used to work back in the day.

irUVmRp.jpg

it's a nice read for whoever is interested:

When the release candidate passed testing, it would be sent off to manufacturing. Sometimes this was a crazy process. The builds destined for Europe were going to be duplicated in Europe and we needed to get the gold master over there, and if anything slipped there wasn’t enough time to mail them. So, we’d drive down to the airport and find a flight headed to London, go to the gate and ask a passenger if they would mind carry the floppy disks for us and someone would meet them at the gate.

happy bday Monkey Island, and thanks again Ron.

Strax

Great franchise and the best is The Curse Of Monkey Island and it still stands the test of time.

One of my all-time favorite series. Even though I don't really like how Telltale has moved away from actual adventure games, I'd love to see a sequel to Tales of Monkey Island by them.

Lucreto

When the release candidate passed testing, it would be sent off to manufacturing. Sometimes this was a crazy process. The builds destined for Europe were going to be duplicated in Europe and we needed to get the gold master over there, and if anything slipped there wasn’t enough time to mail them. So, we’d drive down to the airport and find a flight headed to London, go to the gate and ask a passenger if they would mind carry the floppy disks for us and someone would meet them at the gate.

Try that now and you will be arrested.

I want a new Monkey Island.

Great franchise and the best is The Curse Of Monkey Island and it still stands the test of time.

Funny it was my favourite as well, it was the first Monkey Island where Tim and Ron had no part in it.

This thread will be amazing. Ron Gilbert is literally my Childhood Hero. His games - reason to learn english language
poorly :)

That is an interesting article, just read it a few days ago. The Secret of Monkey Island is still a great game and very close second of the franchise for me after Lechuck's Revenge. I had some of the best moments of my childhood playing those two and I've played them over countless times since and I'd rank them both in my top 10 games of all time.

The Curse of Monkey Island is also great and among my favorite adventure games, but the fourth one kind lost the direction and I've played it through only once.

nickcv

I liked the first one, but still the 2nd one is the best imho.

I only played the fourth one once, and I clearly remember hating it and hating monkey kombat, but maybe because I never got the chance to replay it I'd actually like to be able to buy it on GOG.

Khal_B

Wow, nostalgia overload right here. Reading about this stuff definitely pulls some emotional chords. The Secret of Monkey Island is one of my favorite games ever. Had such good times with it back in the day...sigh...

Try that now and you will be arrested.

Times back then were so much more innocent it seems.

Top Bottom