• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More games need grappling hook swinging action!

Ferrio

Banned
And right I'm trying to think of a game yet can't remember it's name.

It features a school girl with a fishing hook and you grapple through a stage, catching fish and stuff. Very fun game, kinda short for the Playstation.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Yer thinking of Umihara Kawase

And if you want grapplin' action, look no further than
whiplash2.jpg

I'm curious about that Red Ninja game, the one with the girl with the wire based weapon . I saw some videos that looked pretty fun. Doing stuff like hooking one guy and then using him as an anchor point to hook another guy and then going after yet another one. And crounching on a beam hooking a guy below then jumping down the other side and slinging him up off the ground.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This reminds me of Quake 3 Arena, and one of its mods with the grappling hook. Swinging through cities with it, spidey-style, was great fun.

COCKLES

being watched
Best grapplin' hook action:-

Quake 2 Chaos Deathmatch / Loki's Minions CTF

How many games let you use a grapple to surf the event horizon of a black hole? :D

eso76

*agrees with the thread starter*

grappling hooks allow for interesting gameplay mechanics, and i'm NOT talking about those games (metroid, zelda, voodoo vince. indiana jones games...) where you can only use them (and you'll HAVE TO) on specific surfaces /objects carefully placed by the level designers.
This is how NOT to implement a grappling hook in a game. This doesn't make gameplay any richer.

A grappling hook is a good grappling hook when you can grapple to anything you like at all times, swing, climb up and down in total freedom.

Now, Bionic Commando is a good example and a great game- both arcade and nes versions.
Ninja o Five.
Umihakaraiwase or whatever you spell it was a great grappling game on Snes.
Tenchu wasn't badl.
Spiderman also has very good grappling mechanics (duh) and i suggest you try tbe old (OLD) spiderman platform for amiga and pc.
Batman the movie, amiga.
super turrican 2 for the snes.
Roc'n' Rope in the arcades :D

a few more...

siege

Banned
Quake 2 Lithium rocked! From recent videos I've seen of Tribes: Vengeance - it looks like it could be the best implementation of grappling hook yet. Can't wait.

Top Bottom