• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 expansion ‘Khaos Reigns’ DLC character Cyrax ‘Gameplay’ trailer

j0hnnix

Infinity War Avengers GIF by Twitter

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Aw man, Cyrax was one of my favorite characters. I liked how mysterious he was. Doing a gender swap is just lazy. If they wanted a new female character, they should have just made someone original.

Over It Wow GIF by The Comeback HBO

Just feels like these cutscenes and the story mode in general, Is 100% about the actors/actresses and face models.

Like, comparing this to MK 10, is like the characters are just gone...
You would need to tell me that the guy speaking there was Scorpion, and not some random extra.

Not just design wise, why does Cyrax talk like an actress in a biopic? Why doesn't she have any real identity in the way she speaks?

This game is so fucking boring.

DryvBy

You guys are being too hard. The whole point is different realities. It's fine. Maybe they will even meet up with the originals in the story. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, if anyone here played the game the entire storyline is based around the stupid alternative universe stupid stuff. South Park I hope killed this idiotic story telling

Soodanim

Boring NotCyrax aside, I played MK from the time my uncle first showed me the cheats for MK1 on Mega Drive all through the not very highly rated PS2 era and into MK9, the last one I had any interest in.

Now the franchise is a winning combination of cash cow milking and uninteresting characters and stories desperate to relive something half as interesting as what came before. Not forgetting of course fights that are interrupted by entire fucking cutscenes for moves that absolutely kill the flow of the game.

So when I see NotCyrax being this shit, it's just the cherry on top of the cake of disappointment MK has become.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

You guys are being too hard. The whole point is different realities. It's fine. Maybe they will even meet up with the originals in the story. 🤷‍♂️
I couldn't agree more.

My issue is just with the game itself. I thought MK1's campaign was fun enough to play through, much like all of their games. But the competitive aspect of the game just isn't there for me at all. Along with the price tag for this DLC, I don't know if I want to give them anymore money. I really wish MK was in a better state. I personally feel like the series has just gotten worse and worse after peaking with 9.

Boring NotCyrax aside, I played MK from the time my uncle first showed me the cheats for MK1 on Mega Drive all through the not very highly rated PS2 era and into MK9, the last one I had any interest in.

Now the franchise is a winning combination of cash cow milking and uninteresting characters and stories desperate to relive something half as interesting as what came before. Not forgetting of course fights that are interrupted by entire fucking cutscenes for moves that absolutely kill the flow of the game.

So when I see NotCyrax being this shit, it's just the cherry on top of the cake of disappointment MK has become.

This! The cutscenes that play out during supers are THE stupidest fg mechanic ive had the displeasure of suffering through...

Each new MK that comes out I am bewildered by them sticking to this mechanic!

NetherRealm strikes me as an extremely stubborn studio who has lost their way but can't admit when they make mistakes. That and they are like a top 5 most woke studio. They really piss me off. How long have we been asking for Cyrax and Sector? Ok we'll give you them but we're going to make them female because we're so god damn progressive.

//DEVIL//

turning a cyborg to ... "i dont know what the fuck country that was" black woman.

I hope sales fall flat on their faces. one way or another someone will learn the hard way. and from the look of it how WB wants to sell now...we are winning ^_^

Last edited:

Braag

Yeah, if anyone here played the game the entire storyline is based around the stupid alternative universe stupid stuff. South Park I hope killed this idiotic story telling
The whole alternative universe storytelling has been done to death. It's insanely tiresome at this point.
"Wow guys! Cyrax/Sector/Mr Freeze are actually women in this universe! Isn't that insanely cool and original?!"

I dont mind the alternative realities but in that case, it would make more sense that they are still cyborgs, except this time female. Instead they got an iron-man suit, they might of just renamed them and made a totally different character and nobody would care. So the alternative reality is...they dont get captured and turned into brainwashed cyborgs, they get a special space suit instead but are still called by their cyborg names? Cyrax and Sector dont sound that feminine as a name so again to my point, they could of just made 2 new female characters.

An alternative reality would of been: Scorpion and Sub Zero being turned into cyborgs instead of Smoke/Sector/Cyrax.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

This is the liberal hack VO and story director at NRS.....he posts shit like this instead of making a decent game. And we wonder why the last 2 MK's have been horseshit and woke with gender bender characters.

95vVS4p.jpeg
Wow! He doesn’t like Trump! He must be some kind of maniac!

Soodanim

This is the liberal hack VO and story director at NRS.....he posts shit like this instead of making a decent game. And we wonder why the last 2 MK's have been horseshit and woke with gender bender characters.
Ignoring the specific politics:
  1. That screenshot did not in any way provide evidence or proof for the downfall of MK as a franchise.
  2. Game developers don't work 24/7 on games, and are in fact allowed time off. During this time off they are free to pursue activities of their choosing.

yansolo

The tone is just way off, looks like power rangers if you compare it to the first trilogy of games, even the "crappy" ps2 era games felt more like what mk should be. I guess its different times different audience, it's all about krystals and politics now.

kunonabi

I dont mind the alternative realities but in that case, it would make more sense that they are still cyborgs, except this time female. Instead they got an iron-man suit, they might of just renamed them and made a totally different character and nobody would care. So the alternative reality is...they dont get captured and turned into brainwashed cyborgs, they get a special space suit instead but are still called by their cyborg names? Cyrax and Sector dont sound that feminine as a name so again to my point, they could of just made 2 new female characters.

An alternative reality would of been: Scorpion and Sub Zero being turned into cyborgs instead of Smoke/Sector/Cyrax.
The thing is if you're going to do this multiverse nonsense at least go balls to the wall with it. Get versions of characters from the movies, TV shows, cartoons, etc instead of just making dudes into chicks or race bending them. Getting Van Damme as Cage was cool and they should have built off that.

P.Jack

I’ve also played them all since the beginning, but unlike you I’ve actually played the best game in the series.

But yeah, the nickel-and-diming is insane. Good thing Ultimate edition exists then.

Is there any reason why Sonya is still not playable?

She is literally the first female character in the franchise. I understand that she was a last minute addition that was removed for MK2, but I find it weird to write her out like this. I find any attempt to be woke to be completely meaningless when Sonya is STILL being mistreated.

anthony2690

Mortal Kombat 1 is absolute doodoo, and not because of the female cyborgs, it's just genuinely not a good game.

Huge step back from mk9, x & even 11 some how.

Honestly if you want a good 2D fighting game, play street fighter 6 or guilty gear strive instead, or wait for fatal fury city of the wolves.

Soodanim

I’ve also played them all since the beginning, but unlike you I’ve actually played the best game in the series.

But yeah, the nickel-and-diming is insane. Good thing Ultimate edition exists then.
I assume you mean X, but from what I've seen I'm not particularly interested. 9 was great fun and the last one before they gutted the cast and replaced half of them.

Also any game without Smoke isn't worth playing.

Soltype

why didn't they make them full cyborgs, the suits look whack. Nobody would be upset if the suits were good, they could have kept the classic look and had them have female faces.

Top Bottom